Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not familiar with the dialogue but id guess there would be some for and some against. I probably have tendency to fall into zebra and stripes side of things.
I was for it before the last incident that seen him banned for a season.
Tbh I wouldn’t blame any female at the club saying no and that being enough for the club to put a stop to it
As a footballer he’s extremely talented, as a bloke he’s extremely average

Footy Confidential linked Geelong to Tarryn Thomas. No problem with them looking at out of the box recruitment ...but not all of the players thrown away by other clubs for non talent reasons are players you woudl want to add to your club.
Mackie said "The Stengle story is much known. We're an individual case-by-case basis", and made general commentary about players with difficult backgrounds possibly undergoing redemption.

This was turned into "I'm surprised the call hasn't been made"

Which then somehow magically morphed into 'The Cats are chasing him'.

Shock-jock footy media 101.

I highly doubt the club would be looking at Thomas as he would be too disruptive to the young kids stepping up …is he Ben that good to warranted a risk to the playing culture?
No club could in good faith keep trumpeting about their AFLW program while simultaneously employing that man.

I was for it before the last incident that seen him banned for a season.
Tbh I wouldn’t blame any female at the club saying no and that being enough for the club to put a stop to it
As a footballer he’s extremely talented, as a bloke he’s extremely average
Na as a bloke he is just plain pathetic and unless he goes into the VFL for 24 months and shows he is willing to change i don't want Geelong anywhere near him for the safety of our women.

When it comes to the type of behaviour that he has shown, can people like that really change? Can have all the education around it as he has had and still either do it or want to do it. Only way he won't want to do it is if he doesn't put himself in those situations again. Which he will 100% as a hetrosexual male. (Assuming sexuality)
As a member of the public yep should be given every opportunity to gain employment and engage in society. But when it comes to an elite sporting organisation which is made up of probably over 100 women I don't think it's a good idea.

I highly doubt the club would be looking at Thomas as he would be too disruptive to the young kids stepping up …is he Ben that good to warranted a risk to the playing culture?
20 touches and a goal a game last year (his 5th year) playing for North was a really good sign that he was about to explode (on field)... sadly for North exploded off field.

18 touches and 1.1 goals per game in his 3rd year was also very good numbers for a 3rd year player.

Bruhn 16 touches per game in thrid year.
Holmes 19 touches per game in third year.
Dempsey 18 touches and 1 goal per game so far in hs third year.

If TT wasn't a moron and was on our list he would be spoken about in the same vien as these guys and almost even Bailey Smith.

If he could pull his head in and get the best out of himself he could be a very, very good player for a long time (only 24 atm).

Obviously there's a very big "if" there.

He strikes me as the kinda guy that can't turn it around... but if he does... I hope it's playing for us and not someone else.

20 touches and a goal a game last year (his 5th year) playing for North was a really good sign that he was about to explode (on field)... sadly for North exploded off field.

18 touches and 1.1 goals per game in his 3rd year was also very good numbers for a 3rd year player.

Bruhn 16 touches per game in thrid year.
Holmes 19 touches per game in third year.
Dempsey 18 touches and 1 goal per game so far in hs third year.

If TT wasn't a moron and was on our list he would be spoken about in the same vien as these guys and almost even Bailey Smith.

If he could pull his head in and get the best out of himself he could be a very, very good player for a long time (only 24 atm).

Obviously there's a very big "if" there.

He strikes me as the kinda guy that can't turn it around... but if he does... I hope it's playing for us and not someone else.

While his numbers look OK (though not superstar level) there's a moral line most clubs would hesitate to cross, and this is one of those times. I certainly think the off-field risk far outweighs any on-field positive.

I'd say his best bet would be to keep his head down, play VFL for a couple of years (or even go interstate), and hope enough time passes to make him look "safe" enough for a club again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well well well look how the turned have tables.

Maybe some now might believe me,
Probably not but
I would’ve thought there’d be nothing to be gained by anything other than knocking it on the head if there wasn’t a small chance that the wheels are in motion. Assume he will leave Norf as a DFA..?

I would’ve thought there’d be nothing to be gained by anything other than knocking it on the head if there wasn’t a small chance that the wheels are in motion. Assume he will leave Norf as a DFA..?
If we're going to do it and the wheels are in motion, I have zero doubt Geelong have made clear what their demands are.

That's not just what we expect from him if he is to play here, it's an expectation of the behaviour that will be required to even get here in the first place.

Whether that's counseling, cutting out certain members of his life, getting someone like Eddie into his life as a mentor...I'm not sure.

Point being though, it wouldn't be "Yeah we're looking at Tarryn and we don't give a s**t if he hasn't learnt anything. We just like his talent".

There would clear standards and conditions being discussed to even entertain the idea IMO. This football club is never negligent in that regard.

His doubters have really piped up and given we have other more exciting kids I can see why they might be off him a bit.

I think he's a great kick, has the endurance capacity, great contested mark. I think we need to see him with a few more kgs ready to up his contested work like he was as a junior.
He looks to me an inside midfielder who struggles to read the spread and defense on the outside thus far. We have tried to turn him into an outside player when he isn’t one.

I just don’t see if he’s talented enough to warranted the risk… I haven’t watched him too clearly and he will be badly out of match fitness by next year as well

Too much of a risk imo
If the club deems him to much risk after doing their duedilligence then that's fair enough.

The talent is absolutley there though.

Obviously talent will potentially help him in this situation... because if he was a dub, there'd be no chance anyone would even waste their time thinking about him.

I reckon clubs will at least have a think about it... what comes of that, only time will tell.

While his numbers look OK (though not superstar level) there's a moral line most clubs would hesitate to cross, and this is one of those times. I certainly think the off-field risk far outweighs any on-field positive.

I'd say his best bet would be to keep his head down, play VFL for a couple of years (or even go interstate), and hope enough time passes to make him look "safe" enough for a club again.
They would definitely need to see him play a solid year in the vfl, and keep his nose clean before they should even look at him. Signing him for next season is too risky. He seems too stupid to ever learn from his mistakes though. He was already on the knifes edge after a number of incidents, police charges, and numerous re-education classes and warnings, and he still goes out and does it again. How many chances do you need? :drunk:

When it comes to the type of behaviour that he has shown, can people like that really change? Can have all the education around it as he has had and still either do it or want to do it. Only way he won't want to do it is if he doesn't put himself in those situations again. Which he will 100% as a hetrosexual male. (Assuming sexuality)
yes, they can change - but it takes years.

Footy Confidential linked Geelong to Tarryn Thomas. No problem with them looking at out of the box recruitment ...but not all of the players thrown away by other clubs for non talent reasons are players you woudl want to add to your club.
Probably nothing in it. Kane has put 2 and 2 together and likely got 32.

They won’t publicly come out and say the wheels are in motion until he has a good 6 months with no issues.
Behind the scenes there would already be dialogue with his manager.
That’s a given

This is all a bit grubby, I think Mackie could have deflected that much better, and he was naive to think his comments would not be misconstrued.

And it is a shame to invoke Stengle’s name as a comparison. His transgressions never went to his underlying character. And he seems like a genuinely nice, humble guy.

If he is going to come in, bring him in October and tell us when it is done. Not helpful discussing this now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back