Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Doggies were to release one of their Key Forwards - Naughton, Jamarra, or S Darcy. Can't see how they fit them all in salary cap and on the field...

Would you do this trade:

Clark + 1P + F3P

for

B Smith + One of those Key Forwards

B Smith trade value is probably a late first, early 2nd now.

Interesting to throw up contemplations but as we know... its rare these days to have multiple players moving in trade as player must want to go the destination. If Clark were to move ...id say it would be to a more significant club. He has just signed to extend so he is not going anywhere.

If Smith comes it will be a trade of picks... or perhaps we take MacRae and his money off their hands . Be handy to grab both of them, two Pnp types for a pick that might deliver a handy kid

Wasn’t a key reason behind Lobb’s move to the Bulldogs to do with his partner and returning to Melb?

If that’s the case he may not want to move interstate again

As I said... not sure...but if he wants to play senior footy .. perhaps a move again is something he would consider. He is on the way to needing a new built in wardrobe for all the jumpers he has.

Who are the threats to us in the hunt for Smith... Hawks and Pies have been the names mentioned yes?

Well hopefully Hawthorn continue losing and Smith has no interest in them (unsure).

Obviously it'll be hard with them trading their first rounder this year for Shultz... Do them still have the option to trade next years first rounder in a Smtih trade? The harder it is for the Pies to get a trade done the better for us.

All in all I just think Smith looks like a good fit for us... but he will need to pick us for it to happen.

Id not be surprised to see other put their hand up. StK were interested in DeG when we were. Rich will lose Martin soon. As you say ...gets down to where he wants to go

Bruhn, Holmes, Dempsey and Clark is plenty of attacking firepower once they have the bodies and experience. I genuinely think that is an outstanding midfield group in the making.

Agree .. however I still think if we have the chance to thicken our pnp ..the club would look at it. It would spread the load. However the way Bruhn is developing who knows what the club will be prepared to offer by years end. Maybe thay pull back and go another kid in a mid field draft.

Bowes cost a top 10 pick wbd wont pay that to dump him.
Treloar was an odd transaction due to the juh situation it was free for the dogs except $.
If you mean that say the dogs will either get a r2 and pay 2/3 of his wage or pay none and trade him for like pick 80 then i agree.
But as i mentioned the bigger obstacle is finding a contender that can actually fit him in their cap.

I suspect with the increasee of the cap coming .. something could be arranged. Any idea if the afl change the rules ( as was mentioned) around spreading the wage contract

I'm of a like mind.

I don't think we're frontrunners with the purported size of the Hawthorn contract being $1m+

We also have our own players to take care of. I highly doubt we'd bring Smith in at a higher contract than Holmes, and I don't think Holmes is going to get in excess of $1m from us.

The question will be for Smith. You can go there for the dollars and struggle for a while..or you can come here , enjoy the lifestyle and to some degree an immediate competitive team.

The group that we are starting to see ..would have a few players starting to revise their opinions about what we might offer post Danger and Hawkins.

What do we think is a fair trade for Smith?
I’d give up our first and second
Depends how well we go though. We make the 8, which is pretty likely, I'd give our first outright. The value of steak knives there very much would depend on what's on offer at the draft which I have no idea on

Interesting question posed by Mark Robinson in today's Herald Sun regarding the value of Ugle Hagin and Olie Henry. Compares their output and salaries. I think if Olie Henry stays sound he has the potential to be elite. Also think Ugle Hagin has that potential. I rate Olie Henry's potential higher though.

The Tackle: Is $1m Jamarra really worth more than Cats’ rising star?​

Put their numbers side-by-side, and either Ollie Henry is underpaid or Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is overpaid. Why is the Dogs’ big man attracting the money he is?

Apologies I do not have access to be able to post the full article

As above:

5. A tale of two draftees

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Ollie Henry were drafted No. 1 and No. 17 in the 2020 national draft. One of them, Ugle-Hagan, is expected to re-sign with the Bulldogs for two years at an estimated $1 million a season. Other clubs, it is said, are offering in the vicinity of $1.2 million over 10 years. Henry, who was traded from Collingwood to Geelong at the end of 2022, is in the second season of a three-year deal at an estimated $450,000 a season. Now, look at their numbers.

UGLE-HAGAN V HENRY​

JAMARRA UGLE-HAGANOLLIE HENRY
Matches4951
Career goals6678
Average goals1.31.5
Marks220185
Contested marks6231
Score involvements241232

Henry is either grossly underpaid or Ugle-Hagan will be grossly overpaid. I think it’s the latter. Off the top of the head, Tom Boyd was paid $1 million a year after just nine games of footy. The Dogs once again will pay a ridiculous amount of money for potential. Ugle-Hagan has talent but so does Henry. The numbers tell us that. And it’s not how you kick goals, it’s as long as you kick goals. And Ugle-Hagan and his key forward comrade Aaron Naughton aren’t doing that. Ugle-Hagan has six goals from four games and Naughton has four goals from four games, although it must be noted Naughton is playing higher and on Saturday night had 15 disposals and took six marks. Still, it’s 10 goals from the pair. At Carlton, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay have kicked 24 goals. At Geelong, Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron have kicked 17 goals, as have Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood at Brisbane.

1712563731076.jpeg
Is Ollie Henry one of the most underrated young forwards in the game? Picture: Mark Brake/Getty Images.

1712563770275.jpeg
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is a rising star for the Bulldogs. Picture: Mark Brake/Getty Images.

Bruhn, Holmes, Dempsey and Clark is plenty of attacking firepower once they have the bodies and experience. I genuinely think that is an outstanding midfield group in the making.
To add to the excitement, that group will get to enjoy first use from Conway for the best part of 15 years.

That's a luxury our players haven't had in a long time. We saw on Easter Monday how real the chemistry between Bruhn & Conway is, and that's only going to get better.

Who are the threats to us in the hunt for Smith... Hawks and Pies have been the names mentioned yes?

Well hopefully Hawthorn continue losing and Smith has no interest in them (unsure).

Obviously it'll be hard with them trading their first rounder this year for Shultz... Do them still have the option to trade next years first rounder in a Smtih trade? The harder it is for the Pies to get a trade done the better for us.

All in all I just think Smith looks like a good fit for us... but he will need to pick us for it to happen.
The higher we finish, the more appealing the trade is also looking from a geelong pov.

You do have to think twice if trading a top ten pick in a high caliber midfield draft for a good midfielder coming off an ACL is worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The higher we finish, the more appealing the trade is also looking from a geelong pov.

You do have to think twice if trading a top ten pick in a high caliber midfield draft for a good midfielder coming off an ACL is worth it.
And from a Bailey POV.

Pies are on their last legs, need to do what we did a couple years ago and shift to some youth if they want to turn this around. Trading out their first for a B-Grader in Shultz doesn't help though.

Hawks look a mile off it still. Some promising signs here and there, and they are better than Norf & WC, but still a long way away from the finals, let alone doing anything meaningful in September.

They'll be 0-5 this week. Norf next week is just what the Doctor ordered for them.

And from a Bailey POV.

Pies are on their last legs, need to do what we did a couple years ago and shift to some youth if they want to turn this around. Trading out their first for a B-Grader in Shultz doesn't help though.

Hawks look a mile off it still. Some promising signs here and there, and they are better than Norf & WC, but still a long way away from the finals, let alone doing anything meaningful in September.

They'll be 0-5 this week. Norf next week is just what the Doctor ordered for them.

Interesting take because I see it differently in terms of the hawks.

I see it as a competition that has no clear star teams in the top 8 ( just good sides) and then a cluster of teams from 9th-16th who can push the top sides right to the finish line on their day.

Both teams had an absolute red hot crack on the weekend, and hawthorn fell short by a kick and could have easily won it.

They have given a lot of teams an uncomfortable two hours despite their ladder position. The way I see it is they are 5% off being a top 8 side. The gap isn’t very prominent.

I also see collingwood as fading away fast, next year it wouldn’t shock me to see them wooden spooners.

Now Kingy has us in his top 4 seeds so naturally we'll lose to North this week

He was one of the strongest that we had been slow cooked, that our meat was falling off our bones .... and we it was time to sit back and enjoy as others have their time. Changing his tune?

Daniel and gardner are contracted to end 2026.
Macrae end 2027 dale and williams both 2027.
Harmes til either 25 or 26.
Lobb 2025.

They have some bad contracts on the books.
If Wells did in fact want any of them, they’d be cheap as chips in regards to a trade.

He was one of the strongest that we had been slow cooked, that our meat was falling off our bones .... and we it was time to sit back and enjoy as others have their time. Changing his tune?
What's crazy is that in literally the same show where he bleated on and on about how the best teams have strong back half interceptors with strong data based evidence.

Then he ignored all our back half intercept players, and just said "is Knevitt and Conway going to get you the improvement?".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back