Roast The Origins of Our Current Struggles, laid bare

Remove this Banner Ad

Behold, laid bare and colour-coded for ease of understanding; the origins of the shitty situation we find ourselves on-field.

A few notes;
  • This doesn't include the 2023 draft, as it would be unfair to include those kids this early. McKercher and Duurmas have both shown good signs, as has Riley Hardeman.
  • This does not include the rookie draft/mid season draft.
  • Nor does it include trades/free agents.
Over the last 12~ years we have only 'hit' on 14.2% of our draft picks. In the past 12 years in the National Draft we have successfully recruited only seven players who turned into genuinely good AFL footballers. Of those seven, two of which now play for different teams, and two of which are young kids selected in the 2022 draft.

Quite simply, the era of Cam Joyce and Glenn Luff left this club's playing stocks in tatters. Instead of adding an average of 2 solid best 22 guys per year, we were left with players who couldn't get games, couldn't stay healthy, or were just outright poor footballers.

Basically no team has ever won the flag without a solid 5-10 years of building a competitive list via good selections at the draft table in the lead up to their premiership tilt, and looking at this outline of how poor North's recruitment has been over the last decade-plus really makes it clear how much trouble we're in.

View attachment 1973069

Post in thread 'List management 101 (69?)'
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/list-management-101-69.1378308/post-82747856

Welcome to 5 weeks ago

Oh yeh…here’s the disgraceful errors upon errors from today’s paper

View attachment 1973181

View attachment 1973182
It's a great article. What a sh!t fight the last 6 or 7 years have been. I still don't mind when we sacked the senior players in 2016 (although we should have kept boomer), but the replacements have been notable only for their consistency in being s**t. New trades should exclusively be big bodied kpps.

This season is already a write off. We. Got to suck it up again. Pagan is dead on. Make sheezel captain now. And then be patient

I hope you don’t take mine as an attack. The post had no new content so nothing to attack, it was just packaged differently and I thought didn’t warrant a new thread. Mostly I’m concerned that you are awake in the middle of the night regurgitating this when it makes no difference to anyone, it’s not good for your mental health.
Maybe.

You could say the same about this website as a whole.

Perhaps it’s better for people’s mental health to be able to get this stuff out rather than internalising it, regardless of whether it’s been said a hundred times before or it’s perceived analytical value.

Unfortunately for some of us this club and its travails take up way too much of our thinking time.

View attachment 1973182

The only thing I like about this article is the Club is under the spotlight and is getting some well deserved heat.

That said, it's reheated mash and I learnt nothing except we have a former forward who owes the City of Melbourne parking fines.

I learnt more from McGuane's article at one tenth the length of Sam's.

My key take aways:

1. Brad Scott is let off lightly. (might explain where some of his information is coming from) He had the final call on all list building decisions and recruitment both pre and post the 2016 purge.

2. Overly generous to Rawlings. I'm not a Brady basher but you'd be excused for thinking that he was forced to take Stephens and Fisher. He didn't have to overpay. If they weren't prepared to take 2 years then they played VFL for the next two years.

3. Corr is "ultra competitive" - spare me Sam. FFS.

Last edited:
View attachment 1973182

The only thing I like about this article is the Club is under the spotlight and is getting some well deserved heat.

That said, it's reheated mash and I learnt nothing except we have a former forward who owes the City of Melbourne parking fines.

I learnt more from McGuane's article at one tenth the length of Sam's.

My key take aways:

1. Brad Scott is let off lightly. (might explain where some of his information is coming from) He had the final call on all list building decisions and recruitment both pre and post the 2016 purge.

2. Overly generous to Rawlings. I'm not a Brady basher but you'd be excused for thinking that he was forced to take Stephens and Fisher. He didn't have to overpay. If they weren't prepared to take 2 years then they played VFL for the next two years.

3. Corr is "ultra competitive" - spare me Sam. FFS.
If "ultra competitive " means getting angry and giving away frees, then yes he is.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The reality is we have to get Sheez/Wardlaw/Coldy/Zane up to 50 games asap and we're going to be s**t until midway through 2025 at least.

I don't have an important contacts at the club like Big Time Chaddles, but the old bloke who sits at the tram stop on Abbotsford Street drinking tawny port has said consistently since Clarko was appointed not to expect anything before mid 2025.

Their strike rate is pretty good too. Maybe they know someone
Yes, we me and the old man tuned in to the Geel v Carlton game whilst sharing that bottle of tawny port and we couldn't help but notice the size difference between us and them. They look like Cyborgs compared to our blokes.

Players have gotta stop feeling sorry for themselves and stop going down the dreaded path of just throwing away their footballing careers.

Our current crop of senior players are making the delisted senior blokes from ages ago look like superstars. We can't keep blaming just list management when we should also be expecting an uplift from more experienced individuals that would be showing leadership as well.

It's been done to death how badly our list management has been, but this doesn't excuse the poor form from blokes that should know better. Yesterday was the first time I didn't tune in and it looks like it was a smart decision.

I'm close to just letting it all go for this year. It's much healthier that way.

Yes, we me and the old man tuned in to the Geel v Carlton game whilst sharing that bottle of tawny port and we couldn't help but notice the size difference between us and them. They look like Cyborgs compared to our blokes.

Spot on. Older, more experienced, playing in a way that is predictable to one another and being built like brick shithouses made it pretty easy for them, Fremantle and Adelaide to push the younger North players aside, to break tackles and to out mark on multiple occasions. Even the experienced North players were pushed aside or outmaneuvered by their opponents.

I hope that they put a lot of effort into the gym work, strength and conditioning between now and round one 2026.

Believe it or not I am warming to Sheezel as captain if Larkey doesn't want it.

Simpkin I love him but he's in self-preservation mode and is not hard enough on the group. McDonald is not an effective AFL player.

Sheezel just has the attitude to succeed, consistently performs, and is vocal and out there in the manner you need of a leader.

Only concern is if it would destroy him or not.

Believe it or not I am warming to Sheezel as captain if Larkey doesn't want it.

Simpkin I love him but he's in self-preservation mode and is not hard enough on the group. McDonald is not an effective AFL player.

Sheezel just has the attitude to succeed, consistently performs, and is vocal and out there in the manner you need of a leader.

Only concern is if it would destroy him or not.

Fairly big concern of mine. Sheezel is our greatest asset, the club cannot mess around with how they handle his career. I can see him taking the responsibility head on and being a leader, but then again I did not see us regressing so horrifically this year so what do I know.

Maybe.

You could say the same about this website as a whole.

Perhaps it’s better for people’s mental health to be able to get this stuff out rather than internalising it, regardless of whether it’s been said a hundred times before or it’s perceived analytical value.

Unfortunately for some of us this club and its travails take up way too much of our thinking time.

We are so invested

Soon we will be the only club to have not played in a GF since 1999

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Behold, laid bare and colour-coded for ease of understanding; the origins of the shitty situation we find ourselves on-field.

A few notes;
  • This doesn't include the 2023 draft, as it would be unfair to include those kids this early. McKercher and Duurmas have both shown good signs, as has Riley Hardeman.
Over the last 12~ years we have only 'hit' on 14.2% of our draft picks. In the past 12 years in the National Draft we have successfully recruited only seven players who turned into genuinely good AFL footballers. Of those seven, two of which now play for different teams, and two of which are young kids selected in the 2022 draft.

Quite simply, the era of Cam Joyce and Glenn Luff left this club's playing stocks in tatters. Instead of adding an average of 2 solid best 22 guys per year, we were left with players who couldn't get games, couldn't stay healthy, or were just outright poor footballers.

Basically no team has ever won the flag without a solid 5-10 years of building a competitive list via good selections at the draft table in the lead up to their premiership tilt, and looking at this outline of how poor North's recruitment has been over the last decade-plus really makes it clear how much trouble we're in.

View attachment 1973069
-Ben Jacobs was a good pick - just s**t luck Mitch Robinson ****ed him up.
-Mason Wood was a fail
-I’d say McDonald and Dumont were bad also.
-McKay is a win because he netted us Durrsma
-Xerri isn’t a win yet

Rest I agree with

The origins of North current struggles laid bare can be summarised in four words.

Brady Rawlings was employed.

End of story.

A few notes;

View attachment 1973069
You can’t have Ben Jacobs as a miss. He was an important player in that attacking tagger role and got crueled by concussion.

Should be in the drama/injury category.

I think we've been relatively ok with later picks and rookie picks. But then again, they make up very few on lists nowadays.

For this team to play well, there should be at least 5 decent players that can contribute from pre-2015 era.

We have only one right now. A co-captain and he's contributing to our demise if we're going to be brutally honest.

The void of talent left by Joyces after the compromised drafts and failed picks is still largely the reason we are in this mess.

If we kept all those blokes we delisted there wouldn't be much of a difference. It was the same issues then and nothing has changed.

Oh yeh…here’s the disgraceful errors upon errors from today’s paper

View attachment 1973181

View attachment 1973182
This article is excellent. It shows that the issues at our football club aren’t just on one individual (Scott, Joyce, Amarfio, Noble, Buckley, Rawlings, Luff) but on years of shocking decision after worse decision.

What it also shows is how difficult this job is and despite the regression this year that Clarkson, Viney, Hood and Watt need to be granted more time to effect change.

This article is excellent. It shows that the issues at our football club aren’t just on one individual (Scott, Joyce, Amarfio, Noble, Buckley, Rawlings, Luff) but on years of shocking decision after worse decision.

What it also shows is how difficult this job is and despite the regression this year that Clarkson, Viney, Hood and Watt need to be granted more time to effect change.
Crikey Psi. Don't be so bloody reasonable. This is a roast thread.

Yeh my reference to disgraceful was a bit trigger early; I’m sure they were all doing what they thought was the best thing at the time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back