Best to worst in your club

Remove this Banner Ad

DNine

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2008
West of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought up an exercise that I believe would be very interesting to see the result.

Each club in the AFL, have supporters that know the list inside out and back to front, to the point they are aware of what is going on down at training this preseason, and current status of all the list.

The first person from each clubs more die hard supporters, can put his/her order of the players from 1 to 44/48 in their supported club including rookies. Once you make the post, you become THE HOST of your team. Discussions on the order can alter the hosts order, if they deem it necessary to edit, going on information that other supporters give.

As a Collingwood supporter, I will be the host of the Pies, and here is my order, this order is based on importance to the 09 season;

Did this update twice, once on the 30th, then the power went out, when I was up to my last player. This is a rehash of the first post practice match I did and lost. Not quiet as good, but hey, I learnt to save into Word, then tranfer, rather than straight post.

Current Order.
1 Scott Pendlebury: Was a standout in this practice match, and was probably BOG. Pendles looked to be a class player, and really looked to have had a great preseason. The best plays involved him, with his smooth movement, and long kicks. The Limosine, outstanding all over.

2 Travis Cloke: Dominant! The best forward on the ground. Cloke, played just about the whole game at CHF, and looked to be in good nick. Ran hard and did more of the one percenters than we are used of from Cloke. He also booted four goals, which means Trav is a machine waiting in the garage.

3 Leon Davis: Played in short bursts and mostly onball showing pace and skill we are accustomed to from Leon. Because he was used sparingly, he wasn't dominant, but what he did was first class.

4 Alan Didak: Neeld said, Didak will return for the NAB Cup clash against the Eagles, Alan Didak was attending a wedding interstate and missed the match.

5 Dane Swan: Little game time, only playing after the break. In the last half he played well. He had a collision with a few players, and seemes to bounce back well. In the second half Swan was always where the ball was and possessed of it very well.

6 Heath Shaw: Very classy disposals as he lead the defence for his side. Heater was able to standout amongst a very classy, deep unit, that we have at our disposal at Collingwood this year.

7 Nathan Brown: Played on a few different players, and was rarely beaten. After playing across half-forward last week, Brown was switched to a defensive role this week and enjoyed a good duel with Chris Dawes. Neeld said he was also buoyed by the contributions

8 Paul Medhurst: (foot)

9 Harry O'Brien: Had the job on both talls and smalls, very good again, as O'Brien is all the time. He is fast tracking to be one of the best of the lot in defence, just a shame he isn't about 5cm taller.

10 Dale Thomas: Daisy's disposal was very sloppy at times. I think him working himself to exhustion a couple of days back with Maxwell, didn't help, especially when your required to back it up in the heat. Dale Thomas moves around from half-forward to the centre square.

11 Nick Maxwell: Did the hard things as per usual, but didn't get it enough. He played across half back, and even had time in the centre as an extractor, and carried it out impressively. Maxwell then pushed up the ground and he did show very good clearance work on occasions.

12 Martin Clarke: Uses it very well majority of the time. Clarke looked real composed running out of the backline, and he got it a fair bit. Marty Clarke played the first half with a long-sleeve black jumper under his red vest, but took it off after the main break.

13 Josh Fraser: The best ruckman on the ground, although Wood did well. Fraser eclipsed Woods efforts, giving the onballers first use out of the centre. Also impressively drifted forward to kick a couple of goal. Playing most of the game, he topped it off with a great pack mark.

14 Cameron Wood: Has put more muscle on, which is encouraging for all the Pie fans that have been waiting forever for a dominating ruckman. He played ruck and he was beaten by Fraser, but not put to shame, because he did fairly well, and had his moments. His tap work was ok to good. Went forward and got the next bloke that is trying to play out of his skin at the moment in Presti, who sat the first half off the ground, so he was up against it to beat him also.

15 Simon Prestigiacomo: I think the best thing about this match for Presti, is he played the full game, and didn’t get injured or look injured in any part of it. Still the human blanket, with some time to catch up, so that can only be a good thing.

16 Sean Rusling: (Shoulder)

17 Chris Dawes: Fairly impressive game. Covered the ground well, showing speed and endurance. Kicked two goals, and will be great for us this year working with Trav and Anthony. Put on Cloke as a Defender for few minutes and did not look comfortable at all.

18 Anthony Rocca: (Ankle)

19 Tarkyn Lockyer: Rarely sighted was Tarx, I’m sure he is just in second gear, watching these young guns in amazement like the rest of us.

20 Jack Anthony: Seems to be on track to continue his development as a forward, kicking four goals, but had about eight shots. Neeld said he was also buoyed by the contributions.

21 Tyson Goldsack: Appears to of been injured in the ribs after a clash with Wellingham, so hopefully there is nothing of note to report on that one.

22 Shane O'Bree: Was quiet good in this match, typical O’Bree inside stuff, without the O’Bree turnovers. Expect the same from O’bree this year, it will be hard to knock him out of the side if this display was anything to go by.

23 Anthony Corrie: Had a fair game only. Did well with his disposal by foot, but his hands were sloppy, and even set up an easy goal for O’Bree. He did get in and under a few packs, so the prospect of Corrie perhaps helping out at our stoppages, getting in and under like today, would be reason to consider him for our senior side.

24 Ben Reid: Tough gig for the inexperienced Defender, but he did well on who I consider the main three threats to our forward line in 09, barring Rusling, and that is Cloke, Dawes and Anthony. Had the three players he played on, working hard for their possessions, with great closing speed, providing an even contest in pack marks. Didn’t get a lot of the ball when the ball went to ground from a marking contest. Reid will need to work on this, as he gets more and more experienced in defence. Has put on a little bulk, which is great to see. He now is a decent 195cm and looks to of added to the 94kg on the club website, and now seems around the 98kg mark. This extra bulk helped him not be out muscled on any occasion in his baptism of fire, against three players who are going to give other defenders a run for their money, so for Reid to do as well as he did, is a credit to him.

25 Steele Sidebottom: The results this guy is getting so early in the piece, is awesome. Played a very good game again, following up from time trial results, and other staring practice matches. Seemed to get his fair share of the ball out of the clearances, laid some good hard tackles, and more importantly, used it superbly every time.

26 Dayne Beams: If Sidebottom wasn’t a ‘find’ enough, we add to that Beams. Has great ability to extract the ball, and dispose of it well. Wore his allocated number 17, and he showed sharp, accurate and composed skills, a lot like Burns. Beams has a good body shape for footy, and has skills on both sides of his body. Instinctive, and cool under pressure. Couldn’t fault him.

27 Brad Dick: (Knee precautionary)

28 John McCarthy: Another player who hits his targets, which has been lacking in the past at Collingwood. Played mainly across half forward, and showed the class and poise he showed on occasions last year. Looks to of built up a little, which is par for the course, of someone who is serious about his career in the AFL. McCarthy looked quick and fit, and should be a real show to make our top 22.

29 Chris Bryan: Moved well, covered some decent ground, and kicked a couple of goals when he played onball. Moved into defence for a period, but most encouraging, was his ability to compose and hit targets, rather than just kicking in hope. Good to see we have three ruckman, who are all AFL capable. It will come down to who is playing better at the time in 09. Josh is safe, I have Wood just ahead of Bryan to take second ruck in 09 at this present time, but Bryan is only one poor Wood game away.

30 Sharrod Wellingham: Played wing and in the guts, tackled very well, highly skilled possessions, but the only down side, was that he didn’t get it enough. Will need to work on his output to put his name on the coaches board rather than Beams, Sidebottom, McCarthy.

31 Brent McAffer: Played forward, and only seemed to get it on a couple of times. Seemed to be a bit too keen, and lead under the ball on a few occasions. When he did get it, he kicked a goal, and fed out some pretty good handpasses, that hit the target.

32 Shannon Cox: A seemingly more mature Cox than the one I am used to seeing, played well, had good vision, hit his targets by hand and by foot, but needs to really get better in his one on one contests, because he gets beaten too much. Most of his possessions were without pressure, so his possessions under pressure, where not put on display often, so it’s hard to judge whether he is capable of contested possession, or contested spoil or mark. None of these displayed well for Cox in this game. Great backup for potentially injured defenders, as the season wears on.

33 Ben Johnson: Close to best on ground. The Johnson that run out for this game, reminded me of the Johnson we had two years ago. The competition wasn’t as fierce back two years ago, as it is now, but Johnno stood up well. His run and carry out of defence, was vintage. Covered enormous amount of territory, and used it well, which sometimes can me a big ? for Johno, but not this match.

34 Jarrad Blight: (???). Was looking forward to seeing Blight, as he has been described as a steal, that only occurred because the teams in the West rolled the dice, and was hoping he would be there later. Pies were not about to let him slip, he has the attributes of a good footballer, his ability to settle away from the West is the only concern.

35 Jaxson Barham: Was on and off the ground, ran hard when he was on, but didn’t get too many possessions. He ran the lines a few times, and in those moments, looked not out of his depth, but he was a poorer reader of the play than the others, which contributed to him not having much impact.

36 Luke Rounds: Since he played last year, Rounds has put on a heap of beef. Still has his blistering pace, that he used to find space, and looked poised on the run, and deliver pin point passes most of the time on both sides of his body.

37 Danny Stanley: Didn’t have much impact. I don’t expect to see to Stanley in the Ones this year. Like Toovey, I think the clock is ticking. Has trimmed down though, so he is working hard on the track, which is great for Gavin Brown and Crew.

38 Leigh Brown: Neeld or someone else at the club, have been talking Brown up in each of his training matches. Other fans aren’t so convinced. Brown was beaten well by Dawes, and didn’t inspire to beat any of the other opponents he went on. We would have to get a few injuries, before we bring Brown in I would suggest.

39 Ryan Cook: Another player that Neeld seems to think done well, but Cook still has issues with his decision making. He runs hard, and uses it fairly well, but never real damaging.

40 Alan Toovey: One of the poorer players on the ground. Seems to be lost, and his skills aren’t what the others are. He competes well, but when he gets it, he is the only player who can miss a target by a fair way, with no pressure being applied. Will play in the VFL side, probably all year, and then perhaps be delisted at years end, if this game was anything to go by. To think Toovey came out and said how desperate he was to making the side, then to display this on the last practice match, just shows, he is not up to AFL standard. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, that it was hot, but it was hot for Blair, Beams and Sidey too, who could well and truly be forgiven for poor performance, but the luckiest not to be delisted player on our list, should of showed more.

41 Kevin Dyas: (Hamstring)

42 Scott Reed: Played on six different opponents, and did quiet well. He seems to have some excitement, and will push his way into the seniors either at the end of this year or early next year.

43 John Bennell: Mentioned he plays a little like Davis, and got to see first hand how good Leon is, trying to match Leon as his direct opponent in the back pocket, he failed, as you would expect. Had good skills when he had it, but must get his work rate up before he will be mimicking anyone in the vein of Leon.

44 Jaryd Blair: Played very well, got heaps of touches. A couple of things that are concerning, and they are; his kicks have little penetration, and he is 172cm. Could well be a fairytale rookie story in the making, if he gets countless possessions like he did. My debate a few months back was; Would Tony Shaw make it in today’s game, with little penetration to his kicks, and a small height, may just be answered soon. Will Blair overcome his downfalls like Shaw did, or is the game just too good for such deficiency’s? I don’t know the answers but I just might in two years time with this projects results. Brent Harvey and others are pint size, so it’s not impossible, its just incredible when it does.

45 Tristan Francis: Rarely sighted, missed an easy shot at goal in the final minutes. Talk of the next Tony Francis will be on ice, indefinitely. Not much game time, so hard to judge too much.

46 Lachlan Keefe: Played in defence, and didn’t do it a hell of a lot. This guy is PROJECT, and nothing much should be expected out of him this year, but he looks like he will develop nicely, and at 205cm he will be a long term player for the Pies.

47 Tobias Thoolan: The reason why I took the extra five minutes, rather than sending the full report. Had Thoolan not been there, I would not of doubled my time in doing this. Thanks Tobias. Ran the boundary line. Thank god I told you that. lol

So thats my order preseason 09. Will be very interested to read each team Host's order of their teams as I said. It aint easy, but i am up for any discussion on my order. Fire Away

**** me how much time do you have on your hands. No chance I will be doing a list like that. 1. Cox 2. Kerr 3. Glass 4. Probably Lynch.

This is a massive undertaking but I'll give it a go. Forgive me if I start to thin out near the bottom.

I'll post now to reserve the right to host my team, then fill it out.

Here we go - a tentative list. I'll start to fill in the reasons soon. I will probably rework this order while editing. I've tried to take a tentative approach with youngsters that I may personally rate highly but haven't yet put the runs on the board.

1) Ivan Maric - becomes the heart and soul of the Crows. Lion-hearted and should be our number 1 ruckman for years to come. Isn't super-tall (or coordinated :eek:) but makes up for it with a lion-hearted approach to everything he does. Is capable of going forward and kicking goals. The first to fly the flag and get physically involved when the opposition players start trying to get rough.
2) Jason Porplyzia - The classiest player on our list. Assuming he recovers fully from his shoulder surgery he should be as fit as he's ever been. Is likely to spend a lot of time up forward still, but will rotate through our midfield where he's as classy an inside player as anyone at the Crows. Up forward, he will play a crumbing forward role who can also take the ball on the lead. Porplyzia's best is up there with the elite of the competition, hopefully he can start to reach it consistently this year without the burden of a destroyed shoulder.
3) Scott Thompson - Our midfield leader and a strong-body in the clinches. Taking two unfortunate finals matches out of the equation, Scott Thompson consistently steps up when the chips are down and is the first to put his hand up when the ball is there to be won. Vitally important as our midfield becomes almost entirely built out of young players that we have a middle-aged (in footballing terms) player leading the way.
4) Nathan Van Berlo - my favourite to become the next Crows captain and just starting to hit his straps as a player. Had a purple patch last year where he was picking up disposals like crazy and can run all day. Brilliant leadership potential, loyal to the club and a great role-model on the track. His disposal improved in 08. Will be a starting midfielder all through 09.
5) Nathan Bock - Stepped up in 08 to become our most important defender and should continue this form into 09. We rely on him both to hold our backline together, and to create run from defence. He can play on the athletic talls, which are fast becoming the most potent types of forwards.
6) Brent Reilly - Barring another round-one impact injury, Reilly should be in the prime of his career in 09. One of the best kicks in the Crows side, Reilly can get away from opponents and understands the flow of the game very well. With Thompson will be relied upon to lead our young midfield brigade.
7) Andrew McLeod - His best is still brilliant, and he can turn a game on it's head in a few passages of play. The question for McLeod this year will be whether or not he still has what it takes to do it consistently. McLeod does tend to rise to pressure, but expect 09 to be his last good year.
8) Bernie Vince - Should play a forward flanking role in 09 as he can bomb a long goal and win the ball in tight. Stepped up bigtime last year and has built up his body. Can also play in the centre and has a great dish-out handball to an outside player.
9) Ben Rutten - Still one of the top 2 or 3 FBs in the competition, and dominates gorilla forwards. With Bock taking the more athletic forwards, Rutten can set up play from the goalsquare, or even work the wings if necessary. An anchor in defence and rarely loses his matchup.
10) David Mackay - Extremely classy kid who always has so much time with the ball. Reminds me so much of a young Tyson Edwards it's not funny. Fearless in his attack on the ball and a brilliant disposal. Has bulked up over the preseason and should back up his great debut year in 08 with an even better season in 09.
11) Scott Stevens - With both our defence and attack undergoing massive changes, Scott Stevens becomes one of our most important players. Capable of playing third man at either end of the ground with proficiency. Very much underrated by the competition at large. Unfashionable but extremely effective. His 6-goal haul in the losing final to Collingwood will probably see him play forward more often this year.
12) Tyson Edwards - in the Swansong of his career but less so than McLeod and Goodwin. Again, the issue with Edwards is consistency, which is what he built a career around. Should do well but if he falls away quicker than expected this rating may end up being too high.
13) Chris Knights - A ball magnet and a fearless attacker of the ball. Alot is made of Chris Knights' kicking but I find it tends to be bad for a few games after returning from injury before slowing working into place. If he can stay injury free in 09, he should be a starting midfielder.
14) Michael Doughty - career-best year in 2008 and desperate to perform every week for fear of losing his place in the squad when he turns 30. Is almost never beaten and a true club leader.
15) Kurt Tippett - With some other tall targets in the forward-line this year Tippett will hopefully not be double-teamed every time the ball goes near him. Is rarely beaten in a one-on-one marking contest. His kicking is still not awesome but it's being worked on. A long way off being one of the top FFs in the comp but in terms of team structure vitally important to the Crows. Will likely ruck in the forward lines.
16) Taylor Walker - my first debut on the list. There are some Crows fans that disagree but I honestly believe Walker will play the majority of games in 2009 and will hopefully kick 20-30 goals in his first year, which, while not fantastic, is something we sorely need at the Crows.
17) Robert Shirley - still our only real tagger on the list and that makes him priceless to us. Played some brilliant matches in 2008 and like Doughty is fighting for his football survival.
18) Brad Symes - single-minded attack on the ball and reads the play beautifully. His kicking is never going to be special but Symes knows how to play around the faults in his game and with Massie gone will step up in 2009.
19) Simon Goodwin - Unfortunately I don't see Goodwin having the best of years in 09. There is a school of thought that he was injured for much of 2008 and will be unhampered this year but for mine, he is well past his best. Hopefully we can turn him into a decent forward target but I don't see him playing a lot of midfield this year.
20) Patrick Dangerfield - Should be in the side for the majority of the year and will hopefully start to show the competition why the Crows rated him so highly. Already has a powerful body, can bust through tackles, and his ball-handling at pace is elite. Has worked on his fitness and is now one of the top players athletically at the Crows to go with his super pace and acceleration. His kicking is still a weakness.
21) Richard Douglas - Important to the Crows in that we need a forward-line crumber, but is being played out of position there. Is not a natural forward-line crumber but has a touch of class that makes it work acceptably well for him. Needs to develop a bigger engine and push into our midfield, but before that can happen we need another crumber to develop, or one of our other senior players to move there (Johncock?)
22) Trent Hentschel - Was brilliant before his injury and by all reports is doing very well in his recovery, and is training unhampered with the main group. I'm relying on him being in our forward-line to take pressure off Tippett. Obviously this rating will be inaccurate if he fails to make his comeback.
23) Graham Johncock - Had a real downer in 2008 and came back to the preseason out of shape. Assuming he gets himself back in shape, 2009 looms as a very important year for Johncock. At his best is arguably the best small defender in the competition, and has led our goalkicking with half a year as a small crumbing forward earlier in his career.
24) Jonathon Griffin - the classiest tap ruckman we have in terms of ability to direct the hitouts, and can take marks. The problem with Griffin is that his body is not strong enough to handle a full season of AFL football, and he tires too easily. If this can be worked out he will be very good for us. If not, which I unfortunately suspect is the case, he may struggle to make the 22.
25) Jared Petrenko - I've tentatively rated Petrenko 25, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up higher than this by the end of the year. Yet to play an AFL game but he is very classy, very fast and a great reader of the play. He has built his body up like a tank in the offseason. Reminds me of a young Johncock in the way he plays. I suspect he will force his way into our best 22 at some stage throughout the season, hopefully early. Like all our youngsters, his rating is more dependant on others than himself, as he will most likely get his oppurtunity when someone else plays poorly or gets injured.
26) Nick Gill - filling a gap for us at the moment but unfortunately is not an AFL-standard kick and this will continue to plague him in 2009. In terms of mobility, athleticism and marking prowess is one of the best CHFs in the competition but you can't hold your spot if you can't kick for goal reliably. He will play, but only as long as we can't find someone else to fill his position.
27) Brad Moran - I actually quite like Moran but he needs to step up again if he wants to keep his place in our best 22 in 2009. Is a backman or winger rather than a ruckman and is athletic enough to make it, but needs to step up.
28) Greg Gallman - It's impossible to place Gallman. Last year I was calling for him to be delisted, this year he's our second-most athletic guy and all of the positions he plays are positions we need filled. I have no idea whether he will make it or not but he seems dedicated and I guess that is half the battle.
29) Brett Burton - I have difficulty imagining Burton playing more than six games in 09, if that. At his best, our best forward by a mile, but I don't think he will get there again.
30) Andy Otten - I really like Otten, I hope he makes it into our best 22. A ball-winning tall midfielder who can also play third-tall either end of the ground, and has pretty good disposal. Looked overawed in his two games last year but if the nerves settle, will be very good for us.
31) Rory Sloane - I'm a big fan of Rory and his body is AFL ready. His season will depend on his NAB Cup form I feel. I'm fairly sure he will earn a NAB Cup game but if he doesn't show something it will probably be midseason before he gets another chance. Extremely competitive and athletic.
32) Phil Davis - Will probably be given a few games in 09, assuming he performs well at league level. More of a trial basis than anything else though. 2010 will be his true start.
33) Chris Schmidt - Good chance to be ugpraded, but will be break into the side? Hard to say, as most of our other young mids would be ahead of him at the moment. His SANFL form determines the fortunes of his 2009.
34) James Sellar - yet another "make or break" year for Sellar. Has been working extremely hard in the offseason but still does not look like a natural forward. He has the body and the athleticism for the role, he just needs to learn some footy smarts. At this stage the club will just be looking for him to play well (or at all!) at league level. I don't suspect we will see much of Jim in the tri-colours in 09.
35) Aaron Kite - I would expect him to be given a go this year based on a decent SANFL season in 08 and a number of openings in our defence, but others are before him on the list.
36) Jahhran Jacky - still a year away from having a body ready to play AFL in my opinion, but may make the side based on our need for a crumbing forward.
37) Shaun McKernan - A decent chance to make a debut but not much more than that I would feel.
38) Myke Cook - I really like Cook but it's impossible to rate him since he's spent the majority of his time on the list injured. I expect he will dominate the SANFL in 2009, hopefully debut, and set himself up for a breakout season in 2010.
39) Tony Armstrong - didn't look like it last season but has bulked up considerably in the preseason and has a touch of class about him. Like Cook, expect a decent SANFL season but not much (if any) AFL football.
40) James Moss - Brilliant disposal and fairly quick, Moss will be competing with Schmidt for the rookie upgrade. Still has to show he can dominate at league level but there were some very nice signs last year.
41) Tom Lee - Unlikely to play in 08 but moves nicely and kicks the ball well.
42) Ricky Henderson - I really like the look of this kid but he hasn't played football for four years and is realistically at least a year away from playing AFL.
43) Will Young - Recruited as a defender but a fair way down the pecking order for that position. Will be an SANFL year for Young.
44) Brodie Martin - Extremely small body and behind Moss, and Schmidt for the upgrade. Did some nice things in 2008 but will need to show a similar level of improvement just to keep his spot on the list.
45) Brian Donnelly - Still doesn't know how to play football, how to kick, and has no fitness base. This will not be his year. If he manages to cope at reserves level, then he will retain his spot. He will not be playing AFL football this year.

I will probably mix this up a little bit later on but for now it will do. I'm willing to take suggestions for reordering, Crows fans.

So thats my order preseason 09. Will be very interested to read each team Host's order of their teams as I said. It aint easy, but i am up for any discussion on my order. Fire Away

I realise that this is a subjective task and good on you for having a go. But, how can you possibly compare seasoned AFL footballers on your list with kids who haven't even played a game for your club yet??? Maybe this would be a better exercise for the end of the season...

1) Ivan Maric - becomes the heart and soul of the Crows. Lion-hearted and should be our number 1 ruckman for years to come. Isn't super-tall (or coordinated :eek:) but makes up for it with a lion-hearted approach to everything he does. Is capable of going forward and kicking goals. The first to fly the flag and get physically involved when the opposition players start trying to get rough.

So our best player is unco?

2) Nathan Van Berlo - my favourite to become the next Crows captain and just starting to hit his straps as a player. Had a purple patch last year where he was picking up disposals like crazy and can run all day. Brilliant leadership potential, loyal to the club and a great role-model on the track. His disposal improved in 08. Will be a starting midfielder all through 09.

Agree to a point but second best?? I can think of 3 or 4 at least that would be ahead of him.

3) Scott Thompson - Our midfield leader and a strong-body in the clinches. Taking two unfortunate finals matches out of the equation, Scott Thompson consistently steps up when the chips are down and is the first to put his hand up when the ball is there to be won. Vitally important as our midfield becomes almost entirely built out of young players that we have a middle-aged (in footballing terms) player leading the way

Agree with this one, could go up one or down one but pretty much spot on.

4) Jason Porplyzia - The classiest player on our list. Assuming he recovers fully from his shoulder surgery he should be as fit as he's ever been. Is likely to spend a lot of time up forward still, but will rotate through our midfield where he's as classy an inside player as anyone at the Crows. Up forward, he will play a crumbing forward role who can also take the ball on the lead. Porplyzia's best is up there with the elite of the competition, hopefully he can start to reach it consistently this year without the burden of a destroyed shoulder.

Would have him top 2 mate.

David Mackay
Nathan Bock
Bernie Vince
Brent Reilly
Andrew McLeod
Ben Rutten
Scott Stevens
Tyson Edwards
Chris Knights
Michael Doughty
Kurt Tippett
Taylor Walker
Robert Shirley
Brad Symes
Simon Goodwin
Patrick Dangerfield
Richard Douglas
Trent Hentschel
Graham Johncock
Jonathon Griffin
Jared Petrenko
Nick Gill
Brad Moran
Greg Gallman
Brett Burton
Andy Otten
Rory Sloane
Phil Davis
Chris Schmidt
James Sellar
Jahhran Jacky
Shaun McKernan
Aaron Kite
Myke Cook
Tony Armstrong
James Moss
Tom Lee
Ricky Henderson
Will Young
Brodie Martin
Brian Donnelly[/QUOTE]

From our XXII vs St Kilda in the Semi, our bottom six, which is a good way to judge a team's strength, were, on 2008 form, not overall:

Travis Cloke
Dane Swan
Scott Pendlebury
Leon Davis
Paul Medhurst
Josh Fraser
Shane O'Bree
Martin Clarke
Harry O'Brien
Shane Wakelin
Dale Thomas
Tarkyn Lockyer
Nick Maxwell
Tyson Goldsack
John Anthony
Nathan Brown
John McCarthy
Shannon Cox
Rhyce Shaw
Chris Dawes
Ryan Cook
Chris Bryan

Missing from that side on the night included Rusling, Lonie, Didak, Holland, Burns, Wood, Reid, Wellingham, Rocca, Johnson, Toovey, Prestigiacomo and Heath Shaw.

My top ten will move around a bit now that it's done, but I'll write up the other players first. Maric is unco :) But that doesn't prevent him from being the most important player on our list. That's like Hawthorn fans saying "our best player is a shithouse kick for goal?"

Porps going top 2 is a fair comment. I'll rework it later on.

I really think Josh Fraser should be higher on the Collingwood list. We all know he has the talent, he showed some of what he is capable of in the "SOO" game.
If he can step it up, stay injury free, and stop looking like he is either about to fall asleep or barf everywhere (ie get at least a LITTLE bit of hunger), he will improve our side dramatically.
We have shown that we are very competitive even with woeful rucking, but I really think a solid ruck combination is one of the main keys in taking our team from being a solid finals competitor to genuine Premiership threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I realise that this is a subjective task and good on you for having a go. But, how can you possibly compare seasoned AFL footballers on your list with kids who haven't even played a game for your club yet??? Maybe this would be a better exercise for the end of the season...

Some people knew Judd was better than half the AFL when he came in, people who watch these kids know, that these kids will fit right in. Yet to be seen of course, but the hope is instant impact like Goldsack, Clarke and others that played pretty much straight away.

Sidebottom came second in the time trial in his second day down to the club. He is fit as, and he knows how to get the pill. Its not that hard to imagine instant success off such a kid. Who kicks and smiles, and handpasses and smiles, and marks and smiles. lol.

Beams, Blight and Round all have polished skills, they just have to develop their body's and minds to adapt to AFL.

Some players on our list have some serious downfalls that continue to pop up, regardless of the work the player seems to put in to rectify the problem. The new draftees from THE best draft in history, are better equiped right now. I believe anyway. They are already outraining some of them.

Sorry, lost interest after that.

Great idea though..

If its a great idea, get your name up for Brisbanes Host, then you can tell us how Brisbane is ordered. Scott Pendlebury is our player, I don't expect you to know a hell of alot about him, as you probably don't watch him week in week out like some of us do. He was rated as one of the dangerous players by hand or foot by I think Glenn Archer, or one of the people on that Best and worst of footy, or whatever that footy thing was in the week of the footy show grand final edition. He is underated by only non players, players rate him. He polled 2nd in the Pies Supercoach list, and I rate the mathematics behind Supercoach so much, I developed a Superleague around its workings out.

In terms of importance for 09 season top 20 -

Lake - Full back with no replacement, instrumental to team
Cooney - Explosive from middle, match winner
Cross - Rarely plays a bad game and is glue for midfield
Griffen - The year he needs to go from burst player getting 20 odd touches to match winner getting 30 odd touches like Cooney did last year
Morris - Mr consistent, very rarely beaten and when gets to play on smaller opponants kills them
Murphy - Hit up forward that creates so much in forward like, all class
Williams - Needs to stay on park in order to be threat as so important to backline structure.
Gilbee - Sets up so much attack from backline with precise disposal
Johnson - A down year with injuries last year and still kicked 50 goals, is flying in preseason and should be back to his best.
Boyd - See Cross, and also plays shutdown roles when required
Hahn - Big body on forward line but adds so much more than his touches with hardness and tackles to keep ball locked in, just needs to be able to convert better
Higgins - If he could stay out on the park he could show the rest of the comp how much class he has
Akermanis - His final year would want to go out with a bang, adds dimension to forward line.
Hudson - Underrated by opposition, was having a great year for first 3/4 of season last year, important as is a weak area.
Hill - Adds x-factor to team, first 5 or so games were brilliant then seemed to get ahead of himself, should be big improver.
Hargrave - Very underrated as plays on the 3rd or 4th forward but like Morris was very rarely beaten last year.
Giansiracusa - Very consistent last year and can kick multiple goals in a hurry.
Minson - Showed enough improvement as a ruck/forward last year to suggest he can work in role, needs to hold marks as he gets in good position.
Harbrow - Rapid improvement last year and can be the small crumbing forward every team needs.
Addison - Big improver last year and takes the small backman role.

If Freo are to have a good year in 2009, this has to be the list of best to worst.

Pavlich
Sandilands
McPharlin
Haselby
Crowley
Hayden
Headland
Schammer
Johnson
Grover
Mundy
Palmer
Bradley
Tarrant
Gilmore
Peake
Mayne
Ibbotson
Drum
Head
Dodd
Solomon
Browne
Murphy
Campbell
Duffield
Foster
Thornton
Hinkley
O'Brien

Note I've left off players who have yet to debut, but I imagine Suban and Ballantyne will feature in the top 25 on that list.

Theoretically the players selected in the 2008 ND should be your least important players .

I disagree with that.

Rioli is a fairly important player and was as soon as he came to the club because he was picked with the anticipation he would fill an immediate need and with the potential to be a versatile player for the Hawks.

Harry Taylor was pretty important for Geelong in 2008 as well, as he basically took over from Matt Egan and I suspect that Geelong selected him to fill that position.

With Croad injured for possibly half the season, there is an opportunity for Lisle and/or Schoenmakers to make a name for themselves as a key defender in 2009.

I disagree with that.

Rioli is a fairly important player and was as soon as he came to the club because he was picked with the anticipation he would fill an immediate need and with the potential to be a versatile player for the Hawks.

Harry Taylor was pretty important for Geelong in 2008 as well, as he basically took over from Matt Egan and I suspect that Geelong selected him to fill that position.

With Croad injured for possibly half the season, there is an opportunity for Lisle and/or Schoenmakers to make a name for themselves as a key defender in 2009.

But they shouls still be your bottom 5 or 6 players because they haven't played at AFL level.

Order might see some rookies ahead of some who have played based on what deficiencies they address and expectations based on under 18 form. Not going to put in explanations. It is clear the thread starter has a few hour advantage over everyone else and infinitely more passion for the topic.

1. Judd
2. Fevola
3. Murphy
4. Gibbs
5. Waite
6. Stevens
7. Scotland
8. Walker
9. Simpson
10. Bower
11. Jamison
12. Grigg