NSW Scholarship program ending at the end of 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Source here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86475/default.aspx

What does this mean for kids who are on the list that are not going to be of eligible drafting age until the 2011 draft? Will those kids still be tied to the club (ie, will you be able to tie a kid to your club until the end of 2010), or will those kids be "released" back into the main draft?

I'd hate for the Crows to lose Aaron Duncan :(

Wondered when they would can this option.

Assume that any player signed up until the closing date would remain with that club.

Has any other player of note other than Walker actually been produced from this program? Any guns on the horizon?

I have it confirmed from a recruiting manager that clubs will be able to pick up any kids they currently have on their list (and presumably, though he didn't say as much, will be able to continue adding kids to their list until the end of 2010).

Interestingly, you will also be allowed to trade any currently-listed NSW Scholarship recipients to GWS.

Josh Duncan is considered a fair gun. Wonder how he'll go when he gets on a list.

Heard today that the saints are not taking him maybe he will be picked up by someone else in the draft or rookie draft as i have seen him play and has huge potential and was told he played all year injured and has now had operation and will be better than ever.

Heard today that the saints are not taking him maybe he will be picked up by someone else in the draft or rookie draft as i have seen him play and has huge potential and was told he played all year injured and has now had operation and will be better than ever.

This sounds unbelievable. Where did you hear it? He's had enormous wraps for the whole time the he's been on the scholarship, why wouldn't they recruit him? Unless he requested to go elsewhere.

This sounds unbelievable. Where did you hear it? He's had enormous wraps for the whole time the he's been on the scholarship, why wouldn't they recruit him? Unless he requested to go elsewhere.

He is a good mate of mine and he told me that
the saints aren't taking either him or ted this year
so there you go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not this year, but perhaps next year by the Saints, right?

I guess there's a difference between having him on an extra year and releasing him from the scholarship tying him to the club.

Guess so but he still has to enter the draft as his scholarship is finished so he may well end up playing with his brother somewhere.

Wait, so you're saying they're terminating his scholarship? Or that it's expiring?

Let me see if I understand you correctly - you're saying that this is the year the Saints can take him with their last rookie pick, but they're choosing not to, and his scholarship period is ending. Then next year he'll be tied to no club in particular, and will nominate for the draft and anyone can take him.

Is that what you're saying he told you?

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying correctly.

Edit: That being said, I'd be quite happy for him to play with his brother in Adelaide :p

Wait, so you're saying they're terminating his scholarship? Or that it's expiring?

Let me see if I understand you correctly - you're saying that this is the year the Saints can take him with their last rookie pick, but they're choosing not to, and his scholarship period is ending. Then next year he'll be tied to no club in particular, and will nominate for the draft and anyone can take him.

Is that what you're saying he told you?

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying correctly.

Edit: That being said, I'd be quite happy for him to play with his brother in Adelaide :p

Have been told that after u turn 18 and not picked up by your scholarship club u can nominate for the draft and that will be the case for some of the nsw kids and duncan being one of them and maybe he will end up at western syd or the swans or maybe nowhere

Have been told that after u turn 18 and not picked up by your scholarship club u can nominate for the draft and that will be the case for some of the nsw kids and duncan being one of them and maybe he will end up at western syd or the swans or maybe nowhere

I guess I've never heard of a case where a kid has been let go after his draft-eligible year and has gone on to nominate anyway. I suppose it's possible, but I find it amazing that the Saints would let him go.

He is definitely 18 this year (turned 18 back in June) so this is the year he would be eligible to get picked up. I'll be very fascinated to see what happens.

I wonder if the Crows could swoop in and offer him a new scholarship straight away :p Or are the eligible ages 14-17?

Don't buy that, Josh Duncan is listed with Ted Widner and Tommy Walsh as being among the player sponsorships for next year. Why do that if we're not taking him?

Don't buy that, Josh Duncan is listed with Ted Widner and Tommy Walsh as being among the player sponsorships for next year. Why do that if we're not taking him?

Dont know why they would do that but the nsw boys will definately not be at the
saints next year guaranteed 100%

Here is Thomas Young training with Collingwood today. He won the NSW/ACT Competition's Rising Star award & according to a few mates I know who play for Sydney University, he will be relocating to Melbourne to finish his studies at Xavier & play with the VFL side in 2010.

195990.jpg

Fom the Syd AFL site, 3 NSW scholarship players placed on AFL lists:

Three AFL Sydney players have been placed on AFL Club Lists as part of the NSW Scholarship Rookie Program for season 2010. Aidan Riley (pictured) (Wollongong/Adelaide); Michael Johnston (pictured) (East Coast Eagles/Hawthorn) and Nathan Gordon (East Coast Eagles/Sydney Swans)will all have the opportunity to live their dreams in 2010.

Under the NSW Scholarship Rookie Program the AFL clubs have the option to list players, who they have under scholarship, prior to the National Draft.

In addition to the above players Scott Reed (Collingwood), Will Sierakowski (Hawthorn), Blake McGrath (St Kilda) and Ranga Ediriwickrama (Geelong) have all been retained by their clubs as Rookie's for a further season. Ryan Davis (West Coast), Khan Hareteku (St Kilda) and Chris Ogle (Western Bulldogs) have all been released and will no doubt try their luck in the upcoming Drafts.

AFL Clubs had to lodge their first lists in preparation for the National Draft by 31 October 2009 with the Draft to be held on 26 November 2009. Clubs are able to make additional changes to their list up until 15 December, at which times the list for 2010 will be final.

link: http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...ask=DETAIL&articleID=10434150&sectionID=53282

Remove this Banner Ad

Back