Mock PSD and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Pre Season Draft

1 Richmond – David Gourdis (Subiaco / 193cm / 88kg)

There is always a story from Draft Day that confounds the best of us. To my mind Gourdis was that player this year. In saying that he was under rated on this Forum which shocked me given he was ones of the best at the 20m sprint and vertical leap at draft camp. Many of my posters had him high as did I but plenty also had him lower. Terrific season in the Colts and a wonderful championships. Plays CHF and has a big engine which allows him to constantly lead up. People will say I am crazy but if you saw Reiwoldt as a junior he was not a lot different and certainly plays in a similar fashion.

Couldn’t see Tigers passing on him given their need for tall forwards.

2 Carlton – James Wundke (North Adelaide / 196cm / 87kg)

Big bodied KP player who mainly plays out of FF although played in the ruck at the Champs which I thought did him no favours. I liken him to Brian Harris and do see him being able to go back and play FB. For me its either FB or FF and Blues need more of his types. Chance to play next year given he has impressed at senior level this year in the SANFL. Good replacement for Fatso!

3 Melbourne – Ashley Sampi (West Coast Eagles)

Wil they …wont they? Of course they bloody well will. Melbourne don’t have enough cash to bring a player over from the west without picking him. They will take him and so they should. Another top ten draft pick who just went off the rails for a bit. Highly skilled but lacking ticker and motor. Melbourne get these blokes up and maybe the Davey work ethic will rub off. Hope so, cannot wait for another small Melbourne fwd to smash my side on mothers day!

4 Western Bulldogs - Scott Welsh (Adelaide Crows)

Forgive me but am not sure I have heaps of time for this bloke and I wonder what the Dogs are doing with him. The Dogs are fantastic at brnging kids through and yet they go for troubled ‘stars’ like Akermanis and this bloke in search of a premiership that is a while away. I can see the logic, use Welsh there until Grant comes up – fair enough. He is certainly skilled and should go alright. Seems to go better in big games.

5 Essendon – Tom Bellchambers (Tasmania / 199cm / 91kg)

Tom Bellchambers must be wondering what he had to do to get drafted. Terrific performer this year and whilst lacks a little speed he is the 2nd best ruckmen this year. We don’t get to see him a lot on the mainland but I have seen him quite a few times now and he impresses me every time. He is getting better and better and is now at a point where he changes games. For those of you that saw him vs Qld he was inspirational. Along with Collier they single handedly turned that game with the under age Cornelius. At the Draft camp showed off all his attributes for the scouts and they will have him high. Tall, terrific palmer of the footy, good below his knees and good use of hands and feet he presents as a beautiful prospect. Does have the ability to go forward as he showed in the Allies game where he kicked 5 goals but is an area you would want to work on. Essendon have got him down at Bomberland so expect this selection.

6 Fremantle – Ryley Dunn

Originally had McGrath here but he has once again held his club to ransom in the hope of a better offer which didnt eventauate.....again! Ryley Dunn will get selected here and good for him. Showed something at back end of the year playing mid and HBF and should be persisted with. Broadhurst might also be in the mix for a spot.

7 West Coast Eagles - Aaron Joseph (Tasmania / 178cm / 75kg)

Just couldn’t quite believe a bloke who scored best at Draft Camp for agility and who made AA wouldn’t get selected.

Aaron Joseph is quite unheralded insomuch as he was an AA member by the end of the Champs. Saw a couple of his games and just thought he was a good consistent competitor. Will put his body on the line through a contest and whilst not your ideal height for a midfielder he is someone that sets up play with his hands particularly. Foot skills are very good and has work ethic and a motor that will keep him going more than the average bloke. I likened him a bit to Tom Hislop from last year. This kid knows how to play footy

8 Essendon - Ashley Arrowsmith (Calder Cannons / 188cm / 82kg)

Not likely to ever be a CHF but he is a genuine 3rd tall who covers the ground extremely well. Superb by feet and hands and is starting to win more of his own ball which has been one of the deficiencies in his game for mine. Seems to polarise opinion but there is no doubting he is proving he is a big game player and who will appreciate the space of Subi. Worsfold will need to be convinced the kid has a big enough heart muscle– that’s the only thing that’s a slight question mark. Big call….little bit of Hird about him and remember where the Dons picked up the great man.

Rookie Draft

1 Richmond – Darren Pfeiffer (Adelaide)

Not sure if it will be here or later but expect the talented Pfieffer to be at Tigerland. Was a little surprised the Tiges moved him on and had been hoping to get the message he was training at Lexus but alas! HB / mid type who moves really well and uses the ball very well. Something went wrong at AAMI and reportedly it was his behaviour. Lets hope he turns it around.

2 Carlton - Chris Kangars (Geelong Falcons / 193cm / 84kg)

Training at Melbourne but think the Blue baggers will get in first. Kangars is a great selection (similar to Benjamin and Hawksley from last year) and could well be one featuring a bit higher come draft day. Very athletic kid who plays mainly in the back half but as the motor develops could go into the middle and become a high quality midfielder. Strong over the contest and will go all day. Loads of upside to Kangars and if he can realize that development and improve his foot skills then could be a real gem.

3 Melbourne – Stefan Martin (198cm / 95 / Sandringham)

Overlooked in last years draft after performing well at TAC level with limited game time due to his commitment to other athletic endeavours which escape me now. Very promising prospect and with a year in the VFL with Sandy he has developed as his fans would have hoped. Ideally you would want him to be a little taller but he is a good ruck prospect that palms to advantage but also moves around the ground pretty well. Played alongside Shaw in the Allies game who up until then I was pretty convinced would go highly and was clearly better. Training at Melbourne as well and they would be silly to let him go.

4 Western Bulldogs – Andrew Renton (Eastern Ranges / 202cm / 94kg)

Shapes as one of the picks of the ruckmen in this years draft. Did not play at Champs but had a wonderful second half to the year. Notwithstanding the Dogs have a few rucks I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take him. Renton’s second half of the year was really impressive. Took on the senior ruck role and dominated games which would have impressed scouts. Good with his hands when palming the ball to advantage but can also get around the ground and take mark. Use of the footy is good but I think its his decision making that appeals the most.

5 Essendon – Patrick McGinnity (Claremont / 182cm / 75kg)

Dons are looking for pace through the middle of the ground.

McGinnity is that type. Tallish midfielder type who can play a variety of roles. In my opinion initially will be more suited to run with roles as evidenced by his job on Cotchin in the champs. Has a red hot go and reminds me very much of a David King type with a little less aggression. Skills are very good and has good decision making.

6 Fremantle - Travis Dulic (Calder Cannons / 192cm / 90cm)

Dulic shapes as a wonderful get for Dockers. Very athletic FB/CHB for Calder Cannons who has a raking left foot boot on him and plays well below his knees for a tall kid. Got better and better as the year went on culminating a a terrific finals campaign. Don’t have much doubt he will make it at AFL level.

7 Brisbane - Cruize Gartlett (Perth / 172cm / 70kg)

This kid could be a machine underneath the feet of Brown and Bradshaw in years to come. A very exciting half forward / fwd pocket type who is really well balanced and uses this to move around his opponents. Lovely kick and whilst small certainly has a heap of x factor about him. Has an ability to go into the middle for short bursts but probably needs a lot of work on the engine.

8 St Kilda – Glen Chivers ( Oakleigh Chargers / 189cm / 85kg)

Bit of a bolter late in the year where he proved himself to be a capable FB / CHB. Been a rower and has strong build and very athletic. Good below the knees and would be one that the Saints would see as having heaps of upside. Probably not going to hold down a KP and that may mean he wont go. Sort of the that in between height.

9 Adelaide – David Ellard (Swan Districts / 175cm / 72kg)

Small forward type who may not have impressed as much as Jackky or Gartlett this year at Colt or Nationals but I think he could well turn out to be the best. Would be interested in what the WA boys think but I am a big fan. He has a pretty good motor which allows him to be constantly provide options for his teammates as they come forward. Also quite aggressive at the ball and skill level is excellent. Very adept at dropping balls into holes (ala Luke Power and Rob Harvey) which I think is one of the really difficult kicking skills.

10 - Sydney – John Shaw (Sandringham / 197cm / 90kg)

Arguably one of the best performed pure ruckmen in the TAC this year. He is 19yo so is a year older than most of the blokes he ran around with but dominated the hit outs this year. Possesses a terrific leap which defies the 2-3cm disadvantage he has over traditional ruckmen. Skills around the ground are good and his possession rate is good for a ruckmen. Swans will be hoping he grows.

11 Hawthorn –. Jackson Hall (Gippsland / 187 / 76)

Speed …speed…..speed is what you get with this bloke. Seems to always be involved so you get the sense the work rate is good and the ‘footy nous’ is there. Skills are good but sometimes the legs are going a little to quickly for the execution to be on the mark as he bounds through HB and the Wing.

12 West Coast Eagles - Austin Wonaemirri (NT / 176cm / 76kg)

Hails from the famous St Mary’s footy club which I have a great deal of affinity with and won the MVP for NT at the Champs. Very exciting to watch and will undoubtedly have caught the eye of recruiters who may think they have another Aaron Davey on their hands. Like most indigenous players is extremely quick and like Davey can be especially punishing around the packs. Very hard it and has a load of x factor. Frame will need some work but has footy smarts and will keep his feet more often than you would think.

13 Collingwood – Michael Griffiths (East Fremantle / 202cm / 97kg)

Kills me but would rather we go for someone like Joseph here. More likely that this bloke will come to us given he has been one of the few invited down for training. Big strong ruckmen who stands 202cm and is reasonably mobile. Please let Aaron Joseph be the man.

14 Kangaroos - Jay Bowden (Tasmania / 184cm / 74kg)

Jay Bowden had a super championships and I think he is well in the mix for a number of AFL clubs. Good size, very stylish player who moves across the park well and is a very good user of the ball. Brings others players into the game by frequently drawing opposition to him in a contest – not unlike a Pendlebury or a Dal Santo. Clubs will see a lot of upside in this kid, probably just lacks a little hardness.

15 Port Power -. Healen Kay (Gippsland Power / 186cm / 80kg)

Mid sized type who looks every bit the footballer. When on song he is a powerful and very quick footballer who is aggressive at the contest and will throw himself at any contest. Potentially a real difficult matchup for opposing sides. Sounds promising doesn’t he but he has one drawback …… his kicking. Its not always bad, in fact at times it looks pretty much perfect, its just sometimes it reminds out of a scene from “Black Hawk Down”. Hopefully it does not preclude him from getting drafted.

16 Geelong - Ashley Hockey (183cm / 80kg / Murray Bushrangers)

Great pedigree insomuch as he has been a regular player at Vic rep level. If you were looking for a comparison you are probably looking at someone like Hislop / Stanley from previous years. Very much your 1980’s midfielder who can play ‘in and out’ and is strong through the trunk and is not easily knocked off the ball. Makes good decisions by hand and feet and is a regular play maker. Cats will like his ability to go fwd and kick goals which is a real bonus as sides look to rotate players through this part of the ground.

17 Richmond – .Clayton Collard (Fremantle)

A highly talented lad from the super draft of last year. Not exactly sure why this bloke fell out but odd IMO. He has something special and it just needs to be harnessed. The discipline of Tigerland? Will it be enough though??

18 Carlton - Zane Murphy (Tasmania / 182cm / 85gk)

Might be the type Blues fans would say they already have a few of but I just cant keep this bloke out. He is you’re A typical inside midfielder with real attitude. Doesn’t mind mixing it up and seems to excel when the heat is on. Watched him in a few games this year and just thought he stood out as a leader. Rarely makes mistakes with the hands or feet but the downside is pace. Would love him at Lexus.

19 Melbourne – Daniel Noy (Dandenong / 188cm / 80kg)

Know a bit about this kid and would love to see him taken. Has struggled with injury this year and was regarded as a near certainty to be drafted at start of year. Very consistent footballer who has all the skillsets to succeed such as being pacy, good skills, can take a contested grab etc but he lacks one thing……an x factor. Suited to a wing or HBF at AFL level where he could use his best skillset which is a penetrating kick. If you are looking for a similar type you are probably looking at the Lonie’s but a much better ball winner.

20 Bulldogs – Ryan Normington (Murray / 186cm /76kgs)

Plenty will tell me I am mad but I have drunk the ‘coolade’ with this kid having watched him play plenty as a junior. Was very good at U16 level and even at the start of this year you would have him top 20.

Whilst his Champs were a major disappointment so to was Boaks last year and he has flown this year. When on song he is a very silky mover through the middle of the ground who has a terrific left foot as his weapon. Can take a mark as well as push forward for a goal. What may hurt him this late is that he does not win his own footy, rather relying on being an outside link man which he does terrificly well. Training at Hawthorn but might be a Doggie – he is the type they like….silky.

21 Essendon – Brent Connelly (Gippsland / 199 / 84)

Tall lad obviously who can play a variety of positions. Has played a lot of ruck and KPF and is probably yet to find a spot that really suits him. Saw him a few times this year and he certainly competes and puts his body on the line. The perfect result would be for him to be a combination of both. Skills are good and given the package he brings he is worth a rookie spot.

22 Fremantle - Jared Petrenko (Eagles / 176cm / 75kg)

Another in the Polkinghorne mould who has had a good year of footy and comes with many supporters from SA land. Small and elusive midfielder who is very good at winning his own footy and getting the ball going his clubs way. Presents in the mould of Foley from Richmond in that he always seems to put his best foot forward. Performed well in rep games this year and was ok at the champs and his stocks clearly rose from then. Skills are fine and can do some special things. Potentially a lot of upside for a club prepared to take the punt.

23 Brisbane - Lachie Hill (Oakleigh Chargers / 189cm / 83kg)

The kid that excelled at Draft Camp. Was prominent in many of the tests backing up his athlete status. Body is still developing and capable of being very much a utility who plays mainly middle or wing. Skills are reasonable although I have not seen a heap of him so trust others more.

24 St Kilda - James Mulligan (Southport / 201cm / 96kg)

Pre champs when he was playing some of the TAC sides I had him top 20 with a bullet. Last year I talked up Tippett going into the draft and this year I saw similar things in Mulligan but the reality is he has slipped…badly. Whats on his side is that he can play a number of different roles and could be a real acquisition if he gets it together. Seems best suited as a mobile ruck prospect and resting forward. Certainly plenty to work with at 200cm and needing to fill out but his consistency and his kicking will cause alarm.

25 Adelaide – Tim Bonghetti (Northern / 191 / 89)

Early in the year I had him a moral certainty to go. Last year I had him very close to going and if I checked my mock last year he just migh be there. Big bodied player who was just to strong for them much of the time. Good contested mark and kicks plenty of goals but also has played in defence and apparently done well. Just that bit short to be a FF but could certainly find a place for him if his fitness base and mobility could be amped up.

26 Sydney – Trevor Oliver (Waratah & East Perth / 181/ 88)

Saw this kid last year for NT and thought he looked promising. Was going to have him last year in my mock and he just missed out. He did so again this year and whilst he has had a terrific year in the WAFL as a HB but he still lacks that little bit of something. Best suited to HB where he is very solid and uses his skills very well. Can set up a play with precision kicking and certainly at this years champs he was very good.

27 Hawthorn – Nathan Batsanis (Port Power / 180cm / 82kg)

I will refuse to believe that this kid wont make it. Once said to my brother I thought Josh Mahoney would win a Copeland after one of his first games for the Pies. Cost me $50….that was a lot as a young teenager. Anyway, this bloke is the business. Raking right foot and gets plenty of clearances. Not sure what went wrong at Port…..my mail at half way mark of year was he would be promoted without doubt. Would love him at Pies.

28 West Coast Eagles – Luke Sampey (East Perth / 191cm / 91kg)

For those that have seen Sampey you have to be impressed by his endeavour. And he could be a very good FF for them in years to come. Has been impressive at Colts level and would be best described as a combination of Lloyd for leading and Hamill for strength and will which should tantalize all Saint fans. If there is a query it would be his kicking but generally a very strong prospect who I think could be a real gem.

29 Kangaroos – Hugh Sandilands (Oakleigh / 191 / 82)

Tallish defender type who uses his height and running power to great effect. Has played CHB for Chargers and Caulfield but certainly wont be that at AFL level. Much more likely to be a HBF type that reminds of a David King in some ways insomuch as it’s the running that gets him a lot of the footy. Probably not as hard at it as King but few were.

30 Port Power – Nick Murphy (South Adelaide / 187cm / 83)

Youngster from South Adelaide who is a beautifully skilled wingman. Saw him at Champs and thought he was pretty impressive in an otherwise fairly flat SA squad. Nice height and moves well across the park and has plenty of footy smarts. Couple that with the skills and you have a package that could offer real potential.

31 Geelong – Dayne Zorko (Broadbeach / 176 / 69)

Captain of the QLD side this year who hails from Broadbeach which has produced many fine footballers. Mark Browning is a big wrap for this kid, that being said, I was not surprised he missed the National Draft. His type (unfortunately) just don’t get selected in droves. Very hard it at midfielder who possesses a right foot weapon. Not only is it accurate but it is capable of well and truly breaking lines. Pace is sound and work ethic underniable. Someone give him a spot….he will be the hardest worker on your list.

32 Richmond – Trent Denis Lane (Subiaco / 178cm / 79kg)

Well….any kid who can walk into Colts and kick 60 goals in 11 games must be a moral certainty for a rookie spot. I did not have him in my mock national draft but plenty did and quite justifiably. Pacy and really good foot skills. Reads play extremely well and any club looking for that crumbing forward would be looking at him.

33 Carlton – Tim Walsh (Port Adelaide / 198 / 92)

Have seen a bit of this kid and whilst he is tall and skinny he promises a bit. Tends to play more ruck but at AFL level would be better suited to playing as a defensive tall. He is pretty agile and looks to have some footy smarts.

34 Melbourne – Peter Rolfe (Federals / NT / 181 / 73)

Not sure he will go but a HF type who is pretty exciting around the big sticks. His skills are good and he is very good at reading the play. Good hands and seems to have more time and this allows him to set play up pretty well for his fellow forwards.

35 Western Bulldogs – Cameron Lockwood (Williamstown / 175 / 76)

Think this lad played Western Jets (doing this without notes) where I thought he showed plenty. Again though another of those types that are a bit small. Went down to Willy this year and played a bit of senior footy where he always made an impression. Runs hard, has a booming kick that is accurate and knows how to kick the goals. Training down at Bulldogs and would like to see him get up.

36 Fremantle – Harry Croft (Oakleigh / 192 / 82)

Lad is well credentialed as he was one of the better players at Oakleigh this year as well as playing rep footy. Granted the side wasn’t much chop but thought he showed something at carnival time and certainly his athleticism would have been noticed by the scouts. Plays all over the wark and I suspect again he is a type that would be better suited to HB or wing.

37 Adelaide – Jeremy Laidler (Calder / 188 / 82)

Very versatile type who would be regarded a bit like MacAffer was for Gippy last year. You worry the MacAffer was results wise a better player and just scraped into rookie but Laidler is worth a rookie selection. Tough, hard it type who is asked to play all over the park. Handled it well but would be suited to a HBF for me. Skills are really good and he would be perfect hard ball player or receiver who was setting up the play.

38 Sydney – Daniel Stewart (Labrador / 198cm / 86)

Some of you blokes will remember this bloke playing for Ranges last year where he was just ok. Went to live north this year and really excelled, particularly early in the season. Great contested footy winner in the air and on the ground. Attitude terrific as well. Whats the problem I hear you ask? Kicking can sometimes let him down. Otherwise, heaps of potential and could be a strong player anywhere up the spine.

39 Hawthorn – Daniel Boyle (Murray Bushrangers / 184 / 84)

I love this kid. Gosh he reminds me of Mr Burns down at Lexus. Saw him a few times this year but to be honest it was his GF that impressed me. Just knocked up getting hard footy and putting his body on the line when the jig was up. Never gives up and kicks the bejesus out of it when he gets it. I thought he may have been a late chance for a spot but on retrospect it is more likely he would go here.

40 West Coast – Aaron Sweet (East Perth / 186 / 86)

Very unlucky not to have played WA U18’s the last 2 years and from all reports has not taken it well. Lets hope this kid gets a rookie spot. Tallish midfielder type who is a little one paced but has fine skills. More an outside centre that the sandgropers breed fabulously.

41 Kangaroos – Trent Zomer ( Eastern Ranges / 195cm / 95kg)

Probably wished he was left to settle into a spot. Had a year not dissimilar to Thoolan where he was asked to play all over the place. They often do that with basketballers who are fairly new to the game. Did well and showed he is capable of playing any of the spine spots….except the ruck. I thought his skill level was good for a big guy and moreover his ability to take a contested grab. Would be surprised if he didn’t go.

42 Port Power – Daniel Havelburg (Central Districts / 194cm?/ 95kg)

Bit of a stretch to see him get drafted but in a weak draft blokes that have shown they can be game breakers or do special things must be rewarded….even if they are very inconsistent. But for anyone that watched this bloke kick 14 goals earlier in the year you would have to think he would only get better when moving to a better level. With crisper ball movement and cleaner delivery he could just be a very dominant tall FF. Certainly has the height, marking ability and kicking, maybe the pace is an issue. In some ways presents a bit like Paul Salmon but shorter. Think he has played CHF as well a fair bit.

43 Geelong – James Allen (North Adelaide / 173cm / 72kg)

You would have to think this bloke is a chance to be drafted. Bolter to win the Magarey and the B&F medal in his first year as a midfielder in the SANFL. Blessed with good speed and top shelf skills you would be happy to have him. Not an inside player and gives the impression he would find a place at a fast moving game style in the AFL. Probably suited to a side who can get the footy but needs someone to use it well going forward. Little small but FFS someone give him a go.

44 Richmond – Ryan.Hobbs (North Ballarat / 194 / 89)

Versatile CHF or CHB type who gets around the ground pretty well. Skills are good and takes a good contested mark. Pace would be a bit of a question given the demands of the modern day CHF

45 Melbourne - Thomas Duyndam (Calder / 193 / 84)

Tall athletic type from the Calder Cannons who would have to be in the mix if only for his development alone. Could potentially play a range of spots on the paddock but I think its more likely to be HB flank for me. Would be surprised if not selected.

46 Fremantle – Adam Cockie ( Subiaco / 185 / 80)

Unlucky player who missed the brilliant WA U18 squad this year. Hard it at player from Subiaco who won the Jack Clarke Medal for best Colts player. Very tough at the footy and has a terrific work ethic. Skills are ok, could be a little better but what you are buying with this kid is a 100% goer. HB or midfield would be his best spot.

47 Adelaide – Rhyce Prismall (Western Jets / 189 / 86)

Gosh – will he or wont he. Truth be told he was probably more likely last year than this year. Last year I thought his form into Champ was good and he carried it through which I thought had him in the top 30 last year. He missed out of course and fronted up again this year. Suspect he got his spot in the champs more through potential than 07 results and had a shocker. Did seem to get better through the year and definitely has something. Typically a HF type who is strong in the contest and reads the play well. Is one touch and can be very damaging.

48 Sydney – Jethro Calma Holt ( Waratah / NT / 184 / 82)

To be honest would be surprised if he went but this kid has been close for some time. Plays HF and has the ability to do some freakish things. Loves taking a screamer and kicking the goals. Skills are a real feature. Whats wrong with him, I suspect its his consistency.

49 Hawthorn – Cameron Josiah (Morningsaide / 179 / 72)

An excitement machine but not in the Denis Lane class. Played a couple of games for QLD this year where he showed bits of what he is capable of. Lightning quick, one touch player and very good with his hands and feet. Interestingly does well in a contest and you wonder whether he could go into the middle, albeit the engine wouldn’t be there now.

50 West Coast – Michael.Dell Aquila (Eastern / 184 / 78)

Really nice HF / midfielder who doesn’t put a foot wrong. One of those blokes who reads the play well and collects a heap of the pill. Kicking is good and the engine is there as well. Whilst he knows where the sticks are …..yes he lacks the x factor (but to be fair so do blokes like Priddis) but for the great mans sake, does everybody have to have it. Would always be in the Eastern top 6 or so but rarely the best. Pace is ok but its his possession rate that’s good.

6 Fremantle – Ashley McGrath (Brisbane Lions)

As we go to publication it is unclear whether McGrath will sign with the Lions. Given you only really get to hold your club to ransom once in your career expect the inconsistent livewire from up north to pack his bags. If he doesn’t…maybe Dunn will find a spot back or Mourish will get another go.

McGrath has re-signed with the Lions.

Others in the mix

M.Davis (Mt Gravatt / 187 / 74)

Hard running flanker type from up north who was good at the Champs. I remember his game vs Tas very well where I thought he linked up play very well and used his engine and pace to consistently cause the Tas blokes some headaches. Kicking skills are fine.

B.Gibson (Morningside / 190 / 83)

Played FB for QLD and whilst he aint big enough at AFL level he is a quality third tall defender. Reads the play particularly well and has a big left foot kick on him. Work ethic seems good and is very hard it at, but its his ability to read the play which stole my heart!

A.Grima (Northern Bombers / Tas / 185 / 74)

Good midfielder type from Tas who played well at champs and through the year for the Mariners. Can play both in and out roles and uses his pace and skills well. Keeps his feet in a contest and would be someone that must have come into consideration for national selection.

Jayden Donaldson (Bendigo / 188 / 85)

Came into the year with big things expected. Did not really live up to the hype which culminated in him not making the Country team. Notwithstanding, plenty there to work with. Best suited to a FB spot or maybe third tall in the back half. Skills are fine but very good 1:1.

B.Gilder (Sandringham / 183 / 84)

Another midfielder type who would have been some hope for a late pick in the draft. Lacks that x factor but does own a very good motor which sees him to a number of contests. Probably more inside midfielder for me and has neat skills. Think the thinnkg that would have hurt him was that lack of pace or ability to kick through lines.

L.Casey-Leigh (Sandringham / 196cm / 84kg)

Great selection here who could be a real chance at AFL level. I thought he really came on this year and at a 196cm with the leg speed he has then you would have to think there is upside. The frame needs work and so do the skills but the nous is there and from all reports is pretty keen to make an AFL career for himself.

Will Sullivan (202cm 95kg Western Jets)

Probably will surprise many going this late but am a bit unsure of where he will go to be honest as I am never sure quite how you rate rucks at such an early age. It’s a bit like having to pick midfielders at the age of 15 or 16 because I think it takes rucks that much longer to be at a point where they are AFL ready. Shapes as a thinking mans ruckmen who excels at the art of the ‘palm to advantage’. Moves around the park well enough and his second efforts are better than average for a ruckmen insomuch he doesn’t mind the physical nature of the game. Could do with getting a lot more of the footy. Is an ok user of it but will need to get his possession rate up for AFL and learn to use it well.

L.Staple (Eagles / 190cm / 84)

Saw this kid at Champs and I think he offers a bit. Certainly never a chance to get the National Draft selection but here is a footballer who plays the hardest spot on the ground and does it pretty well. Quite athletic so much keener to lead up for the footy like a Tarrant rather than get into contested situations. Skills are good and seems to make good decisions when looking for targets. Would be well worth a look.

J.Spencer (Redlands / 203 / 93)

Ahhhh, Jake Spencer. Kids looks like he has just got out of prison. Big skinny kid who has a bit of attitude. Don’t have my notes with me but has plenty of spirit and is very mobile for a 200cm + lad. Skills are ok and I think he is pretty new to the game so the upside would be worth watching. Like the look of him but just needs someone to look past his worst and see his best.

N.Wynne (Sandringham / 189 / 85)

Highly unlikely but I always love giving Essendon some toffy private school lad. Only joking, this bloke is a real talent for me. Did not play a lot of TAC but gee he showed something at Xavier. Can play a variety of positions and if he can get properly fit he could be a real find.

Z.Miller (SA / 186 / 84)

Another I thought was unlucky last year. Was very good however this year has had many injury troubles. Didn’t get to play Champs because of injury but is your solid midfield type who is keen to run into the hot spot and get a clearance. Kicking skills are fine from memory. Would be interested in how some of the locals would rate his year.
International Selections;

J.Koehler (Murray Bushrangers / 192 / 93)

Youngster who represented NSW at the carnival and had a solid year at Bushies. Very versatile type who is a bit bigger than the other kids but still seems to have plenty of upside left. Hard at it and skills seem very good.

D. Terlich (Murray Bushrangers / NSW / 186 / 83)

Solid HB / Midfield type who plays with the Bushies. Saw a few of his games also for NSW where I thought he played well and indeed he won the plaudits of his coach. Nothng fancy about him …just really solid. Skills are good and seems to have a really good abilty to read the play. Also quite strong at the contest and holds his feet under pressure.

International Selections

Brisbane – Pearce Hanley
Carlton – Michael Shields
Collingwood – Kevin Dyas
Sydney – Brendan Murphy

I wouldn't be suprised if the Tigers took Ian Callinan in the Rookie draft as a Mature age rookie!

I for one am certainly hopeing the tiges take him.

Gourdis will be a great PSD pick so im hopeing for that to eventuate aswell....

Great Work though snoop....great read

18 Carlton - Zane Murphy (Tasmania / 182cm / 85gk)

Might be the type Blues fans would say they already have a few of but I just cant keep this bloke out. He is you’re A typical inside midfielder with real attitude. Doesn’t mind mixing it up and seems to excel when the heat is on. Watched him in a few games this year and just thought he stood out as a leader. Rarely makes mistakes with the hands or feet but the downside is pace. Would love him at Lexus.

To the best of my knowledge, Murphy didn't nominate and won't be selected.

I could be wrong.

Good effort all the same.

There's a few things I disagree with like Essendon taking two 18 year olds in the PSD and Richmond overlooking Collard in the PSD. I also find it hard to see Will Sullivan being overlooked but that's only my opinion.

great read as always...

from ur interpretations seams richmond will b getting some alright players..

GOurdis:thumbsu:"

would rather mginnity then pfeiffer.... but who knows?

great read

Others in the mix

M.Davis (Mt Gravatt / 187 / 74)

Hard running flanker type from up north who was good at the Champs. I remember his game vs Tas very well where I thought he linked up play very well and used his engine and pace to consistently cause the Tas blokes some headaches. Kicking skills are fine.

Has been invited to train with the tiges for a week...

I'm fairly sure Port Adelaide will rookie from the 20 or so players we have training with us, of which you had us selecting one, Havelberg.

But full points for effort :thumbsu:

I can't see why West Coast would select all the midfielders that you have given them. Wouldn't a quick small forward or a ruckman be preferable ?

Essendon picks are very good. But i must say, if Pfeiffer was available at 8 and we passed on him for someone like Arrowsmith, i'd be spitting chips. Pfeiffer is a great young player, and will most likely be much much better than Arrowsmith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fairly sure Port Adelaide will rookie from the 20 or so players we have training with us, of which you had us selecting one, Havelberg.

But full points for effort :thumbsu:

No worries PAFC. I only have 8 or so players training with them so interested to hear there is 20. Re the 8 or so I did look close at their training list and I just couldnt bring one in. Maybe Fairclough but I think there are better players. Not sure Willits will get back in will he?

In saying that I cursed you blokes this year taking Bellchambers and Arrowsmith in the BF Phantom.....

Your thoughts?

I can't see why West Coast would select all the midfielders that you have given them. Wouldn't a quick small forward or a ruckman be preferable ?

Yeah probably - but to be fair I really didnt focus much on needs rather than best available. If you want a ruckmen hope for someone like Sullivan who I think will be rookied but I just didnt find a spot for him.

Didn't see Todd Grima on there i think he is a definent pick up. Was training with Port and is now back training with Geelong VFL side, perhaps it may be they regret letting him go after this nath Ablett saga.

Didn't see Todd Grima on there i think he is a definent pick up. Was training with Port and is now back training with Geelong VFL side, perhaps it may be they regret letting him go after this nath Ablett saga.

Will Nablett remain on the list, or do Geelong now get a PSD pick?

Nath will stay on the list he has until January to make up his mind. so no PSD pick for the cats. If he does leave they could promote a rookie or they may keep him on the list for the year and hope he comes back next year.
I hope the cats re draft Grima 50 goals in the VFL at 20 years of age aint bad.

Excellent work mate:thumbsu:

Ian Callinan could dominate at AFL standard and could be the next Priddis

How long to mature age rookies have, 1 year?

If Richmond could get Peiffer, Collard, Gourdis and transform them into players we could really be heading somewhere golden

Top stuff Snoop.

Pies' selection will be interesting considering we only have the one with our second committed to Dyas. You seem to have gone with Griffiths but what are your thoughts on Ryan Colbert?

I seem to think it will be between those two but you never know what Hine has in mind.

Also do you or anyone else have any info on Griffiths such as his physical testing (speed, endurance) and what is his skill level like for a big man?

Snoop Dog said:
42 Port Power – Daniel Havelburg (Central Districts / 194cm?/ 95kg)

Bit of a stretch to see him get drafted but in a weak draft blokes that have shown they can be game breakers or do special things must be rewarded….even if they are very inconsistent. But for anyone that watched this bloke kick 14 goals earlier in the year you would have to think he would only get better when moving to a better level. With crisper ball movement and cleaner delivery he could just be a very dominant tall FF. Certainly has the height, marking ability and kicking, maybe the pace is an issue. In some ways presents a bit like Paul Salmon but shorter. Think he has played CHF as well a fair bit.

I can only congratulate you on such a demanding exercise. Just thought it might be worth pointing out that Havelberg is listed at 187cm and 86kg according to SANFL stats (and turns 20 next year). This might impact on your rankings. But he is training with Port in the hope of getting drafted. He kicked 37 goals in 18 matches in 2007, with 14 goals coming in 1 game, and played across half back a bit too (we've thought about him on the Port Board).

Nice stuff Snoop. Although I was under the impression that Chivers was bottom-age and thus not eligible for rookie draft. Maybe I have the wrong date.

Others in the mix

L.Casey-Leigh (Sandringham / 196cm / 84kg)

Great selection here who could be a real chance at AFL level. I thought he really came on this year and at a 196cm with the leg speed he has then you would have to think there is upside. The frame needs work and so do the skills but the nous is there and from all reports is pretty keen to make an AFL career for himself.

Can't be that keen. Reports are he's taken an overseas holiday just when clubs wanted him to come down and train with them. Silly boy if true, or perhaps one of the clubs has sent him away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back