OK What did Thorp do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Victory, Lakers, Dodgers
OK guys. Someone out there knows what has happened. A trade that did not go through, training one day, a sit down with the captain for a heart to heart. What broke the camel's back?

The fact that he wasn't capable of playing AFL at the national level.

If that's the case surely he would have had more of a heads up and wouldn't have been training with them. Also Hawthorn would have looked to have traded him. Something must have happened, it doesn't seem logical. Also he's finally just overcome injury... He must have done something...

He was never going to make it.

Didn't show much at VFL level.

I would have seen 20 BHH games over the past three years and by half time he was always limping and wearing a bandage.

does seem strange he had a contract extension. also that no one was interested in a trade with a potential key forward, that apparently don't grow on trees. where there's smoke????

Something has happened, Hawthorn hung onto Dowler and gave him a chance but haven't given Thorp the chance to prove himself, he started training with the main group, mid year they said they would give him every opportunity to prove himself next year, however they have delisted him with a year to run on his contract, something has happened and its got nothing to do with him "not being able to make it"
He has the talent and potential, so hopefully a club picks him up and proves everyone wrong just like Dawson did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something has happened, Hawthorn hung onto Dowler and gave him a chance but haven't given Thorp the chance to prove himself, he started training with the main group, mid year they said they would give him every opportunity to prove himself next year, however they have delisted him with a year to run on his contract, something has happened and its got nothing to do with him "not being able to make it"
He has the talent and potential, so hopefully a club picks him up and proves everyone wrong just like Dawson did.

i agree with this post...im not sure why they were less patient with thorp than dowler..wouldnt mind seeying him re-drafted with late pick, maybe being delisted will give him motivation to prove ppl he can play.

Thanks Hutchy for the question. Now run along to the Richmond board.
We wish him well for the future.

Seriously though, why are we trying to scrape up mud. No purpose. Move on.

Football ability gets you so far. Whatever you are blessed with as an athlete will take you to a certain level and then its all hard work. Hard work earns the respect of your peers and coaches.

The playing group did not respect him - thats a given. His character was questioned and he was rightfully given the flick.

Say he has an inflated ego like everyone is suggesting and with all the psyche and character analysis that clubs do, you would have thought the 'List Management' could forsee a player like Thorp was not the right type of person for the Hawthorn Football Club, or maybe they thought otherwise. :rolleyes:

Buddy has an ego and struts around like a tool on occasions. It was a risk worth taking - just didnt come off.

Buddy has an ego and struts around like a tool on occasions. It was a risk worth taking - just didnt come off.

Buddy can kick his 50 meter bombs and strut around like a rooster, i love that, his good and he knows it. But away from football and around his peers i think he is modest. I have never met the guy, but from what i have seen in past interviews he recognized his limitations and he needed to work hard.
At the end of the day it is the opinoin of your peers(leadership group) that matters most. :)

Buddy can kick his 50 meter bombs and strut around like a rooster, i love that, his good and he knows it. But away from football and around his peers i think he is modest. I have never met the guy, but from what i have seen in past interviews he recognized his limitations and he needed to work hard.
At the end of the day it is the opinoin of your peers(leadership group) that matters most. :)

That, my friend, is all that matters!

Buddy is very modest when it comes down to it, he knows he's good but it stays on the field. Off the field i believe he's very modest, he keeps to himself. He doesn't do much media work because he likes to concentrate on his football. He's had lots of money thrown at him to be on such shows as the Footy Show etc. Someone like Thorp would love that kind of media attention and it could be what breaks a player with a mind like his.

I guess no one really knows other than the club. I've heard whispers that he had all the talent in the world, but a terrible attitude that Clarkson wouldn't tolerate. I would guess that this has some truth to it. He did have a whole year left on his contract and the fact that we took him with pick No.6 makes me wonder why they didn't at least let him play out that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back