Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Be clear, I am one of those people who want my team to win 5 games this year and … finish last (because the guy is that good)

Finishing last means nothing! Who cares? The position on the ladder does not matter if it does not say Premiers.

I think you’re lost - this isn’t the Carltank board.

Again - the last #1 draft pick to win a premiership with a side that finished dead last to get them was Des Headland - and the Lions sure as hell didn’t win the 2002 flag because of him. History is absolutely against bottoming out for the #1 pick - even the ones who are ‘generational talents’.

Watched some local footy yesterday the umpiring in the reserves was a far higher standard than what was dished out yesterday. Adding a 4th ump has not changed a thing, obvious frees are still being missed. They are costing teams wins and potentially coaches their jobs but there seems to be no account ability, all we hear is how hard the game is to umpire.

calling BS on that, pay the throws, pay the HTB pay the arm chops. The game would be better for it.

I used to watch most games over the round, not anymore down to 3 to 4 games now. Umpiring standards and Interpretations are killing this great game.
Balls spill out of tackles as players are trying to dispose of it all the time, play on them they pluck them out of obscurity.
The one last night where the closest umpire with the best view called play on, then another umpire further away, with a worse view point over ruled him, pays the free kick, goal to the dogs. Nearly turned it off there.
I turned the Anzac Day game off at quarter time because of the umpiring.

Balls spill out of tackles as players are trying to dispose of it all the time, play on them they pluck them out of obscurity.
The one last night where the closest umpire with the best view called play on, then another umpire further away, with a worse view point over ruled him, pays the free kick, goal to the dogs. Nearly turned it off there.
I turned the Anzac Day game off at quarter time because of the umpiring.
Yep, I cant watch this crap anymore, I only watch the Hawks games and yesterdays umpiring was garbage, blow jobs for all the Doggies players by the maggots.

Gil with all his mates with there snouts in the trough can * right off, they are destroying the fabric of the game.

Yeah I wasn’t blown away by Wingerz or Bruest for example. Exception was Hardwick who was excellent yesterday.

But Sam is building a group who love playing together and backing each other up. Plenty of young leaders in the ranks. Weird season - bottom of the ladder and I’m loving watching my team anyway
Breust was really good till he copped a knock

For starters
CJ out, no confidence,
Ramsden, out not ready

Kozi in

Greene was average today
Greene has had a great season up until this round. I think he can play a great foil to Lewis. Kosi, to my eye, isn’t an AFL standard player. Happy for him to prove me wrong but I don’t see it. I feel like he’s one of those guys who has ended up where he is because of his physical profile not because of his skill or footy IQ.

I was hoping for an improvement in structure with Lewis back, and I wasn’t disappointed.

Greene struggled a bit with a new role, but I’m not worried yet, he’ll learn. Day was outstanding, Nash did a superb job on a champion player, Worpel and Newcombe were good.

We’re a very young team, we’ll have lapses and run out of steam, but the positives are that we can match it with good teams for periods already.

The umpiring was awful, and the dogs got a gold star ride. But it’s alright, this year isn’t about wins.

I think what makes this sadder was the fact Long was omitted and a Wingard-type player plays.

Long brings excellent pressure across half forward, an ability and tank to go through the middle, and size and speed making him a difficult match up.

Most of all: he is HUNGRY.

Probability suggests Wings is cooked. I love the guy. But I’d play Long all day over Wingard at this stage of the rebuild in progress.
Long may make it but he can't play the Wingard role or a pressure forward role period. He is slow, very slow. Don't confuse this with a good tank to get from contest to contest, he couldn't chase Wingard down so he won't chase a Daicos Baker, Burton, Dale type down who are the prime movers for their team.

He is hungry though but that doesn't mean he should replace Wingard.

It will be an interesting conversation come seasons end.

Current contract worth $750k & unless Blind Freddy was handing out contracts at seasons end he ain’t getting anything close to it.

I’d rather the club be upfront with Chad & say here’s the contract offer (X amount) comes seasons end. Take it or leave it.

If it’s leave it than start getting games into Butler over Wingard
Can anyone post something quoting 750k/yr.

I seem to recall reading 6-650k/yr over the term of the contract but can't find.

He'll still be required to take a haircut next year though.

Let’s start with Brownlow medalist, Premiership captain, 5 x AA, 5 x BnF’s and a Norm Smith Medal. He can do what he likes after that.
That was the good part

But the whatever it takes / “supplements saga” has had a pretty damaging impact on that club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again - the last #1 draft pick to win a premiership with a side that finished dead last to get them was Des Headland - and the Lions sure as hell didn’t win the 2002 flag because of him. History is absolutely against bottoming out for the #1 pick - even the ones who are ‘generational talents’.
Is there any stand out that's expected to go at number 2 at this stage ?

Just wanted to say that Chad in the fourth quarter was pretty good. Gave us run and options. Bloke just needs a boost in confidence.

I didn’t watch the game (work) but the second half was on in the background.

Every time I glanced up, I saw the Dogs getting a free, or somehow not giving one away … or Wingard taking a mark/kick.

That was the good part

But the whatever it takes / “supplements saga” has had a pretty damaging impact on that club

When I say that Will Day plays like James Hird do you think I’m saying that it looks like he will formulate and execute a doping scheme?

The Hird comparison is a huge compliment if you ask me as Hird was a generational talent and his playing resume is almost unmatched. Let’s hope that Day continues to fullfill that potential.

You're right we should try and get priority picks the honourable way so we can get a free Roughead at pick 2 again, history says it's hard to build a great team without getting a lucky draft concession or nice father son picks so we're ****ed. When we hung around the bottom for a couple of years after flipping some key players for Hodge, we knew we had bottomed out on purpose. Why pretend we never bottomed out or needed access to top talent? Pick 1, 2, 3, doesn't matter, throw me the factoid where 90% of our premiership core weren't top picks as a result of being crap for years.

You're right we should try and get priority picks the honourable way so we can get a free Roughead at pick 2 again, history says it's hard to build a great team without getting a lucky draft concession or nice father son picks so we're ****ed. When we hung around the bottom for a couple of years after flipping some key players for Hodge, we knew we had bottomed out on purpose. Why pretend we never bottomed out or needed access to top talent? Pick 1, 2, 3, doesn't matter, throw me the factoid where 90% of our premiership core weren't top picks as a result of being crap for years.
No club gets start of first round priority picks anymore so there's no point even bringing it up.

As far as our premiership core, Hodge and Mitchell were picks we traded in off the back of 2001 where we made a preliminary final. Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne, Frawley, Hale, McEvoy were all traded in. Gunston traded in, Breust rookie, Cyril was drafted with our pick after we made and won a final in 2007, Smith, Stratton, Puopolo all drafted as mature agers.

When we were s**t in that 2002 - 2006ish area, the majority of the picks we got for being s**t never even made it as players. Brennan, Dowler, Ellis, Bailey, Thorp all hardly had star careers.

The only players we got genuinely for being bad who kicked it off were Roughy and Franklin, but in that same draft Richmond and the Bulldogs both got the same treatment and didn't get anywhere near the success with the picks. I'm not including Lewis as once again the pick came from a trade. Happy?

We’ll get a top 5 pick this year, so what’s your hand-wringing about exactly? I support the rebuild and don’t mind being around the lower end of the ladder to do it - I just don’t want the spoon because it’s slightly pathetic to cheer on finishing last.

The Eagles have 17 players on the injury list. Including senior players:
  • Cripps
  • McGovern
  • Nic Nat
  • Ryan
  • Shuey
  • Yeo
  • Sheed
Imagine if we were without Breust, Wingard, Sicily, Reeves, Newcombe, Day and Amon.
Let's be honest though most of those guys bar maybe 4 ( McGovern, Ryan, Sheed and Shuey) wouldn't move the needle that much. NicNat needs the golden handshake and be forced to retire. Bloke does himself no favours with his body weight the way it is. Says to me he is a bit lazy when it comes to discipline with his body. There better off going to the draft and getting in a young promising ruck who can develop with Williams. There well and truly stuffed for alot longer than we will be.

We’ll get a top 5 pick this year, so what’s your hand-wringing about exactly? I support the rebuild and don’t mind being around the lower end of the ladder to do it - I just don’t want the spoon because it’s slightly pathetic to cheer on finishing last.
Slightly pathetic?

It's a ******* disgrace!

True, though let’s not forget 4 time premiership player Luke Hodge was a No.1. Even though, to channel Kerry Packer talking about Alan Bond ‘you only get one Fremantle in your lifetime’ and we’ve already had ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back