AFL Club
North Melbourne
Name: Dyson Heppell
Height: 187cm
Weight: 79kg
DOB: 14th May 1992
Position: Midfielder/ Defender
Club: Gipplsand Power
TAC Cup Statistics: http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...&pID=189123923&client=1-3020-0-102897-8056772
Video Footage:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBuu0mGQ7aM

Achievements:
2010 Vic Country Team
2010 Vic Country Most Valuable Player
2010 All Australian Selection
2010 Morrish Medalist
2010 TAC Cup Team of the Year
2010 Gippsland Power Captain
2010 Draft Combine Invite

Draft Camp Results:
2nd in Clean Hands Test – 28/30 93% efficiency
3rd in Running Vertical Leap – 86cm
6th in Beep test – 14.13
8th in Standing Vertical Leap – 64cm
20m Sprint – 2.98

dysonheppell.jpg

Heppell played three matches for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-16 Championships, producing 18 disposals, 2 goals and five score assists in his first match against South Australia. He made his debut for Gippsland after that as a 16 year old in the TAC Cup in Round 11 and played in the Preliminary final loss to Dandenong. In 2009 he played 19 games for the Power predominately as a defender, but moved into the midfield at the end of the season to average 24 disposals, four inside 50’s and five rebound 50’s in his last four matches. AFL Prospectus

Left-footed half-back who lopes along before delivering long to the chest of a teammate. Sort of like Grant Birchall with a bouncy gait. Showed in the first game of the championships, against Vic Metro, that he has the wherewithal to recover from setbacks. The question is whether he can break out of a lope and achieve a gallop. Paul Daffey

Skilful left-footed medium defender with penetrating kick, strength overhead and clean hands. Was outstanding for Vic Country in the under-18 championships, winning MVP and All-Australian honours. Averaged 20 disposals at 75 per cent efficiency and four tackles. Kevin Sheehan

He is probably the best rebounding defender in the competition and his importance to Gippsland is unmatched by any other. His kicking is pin point and his effective kicking sets Gippsland up for numerous forward movements. He is strong in the air and clean on the ground, and teams will be keen to curb Heppell’s influence before he tears the game to pieces. He has the licence, as a designated kicker, to find the right options and more often than not his decision making is spot on. TAC Cup Website

In his own words

What type of player are you?
I'm a skilful, attacking defender.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Josh Drummond because he is a very skilful, creative defender with a long, accurate left foot kick.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Kicking ability, overhead marking, and clean hands at ground level.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Explosiveness, ability to break away from stoppages, body strength.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Essendon, because they were a very successful club when I was in primary school.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Dad - he has been a real mentor for me and has supported me with my football.

Gazza_11

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
We're really kidding ourselves if we think Jack Darling will slip to 14.....

Just worried about his height, might not grow too much from now to Round 1.

Will not go past pick 20!!

Strongly agree with this assesment.

There is a lot of Rama in the way Heppell plays. Good decision maker and outstanding foot skills. He directs traffic and set up play so very well, has real footy smarts in spades.

I would think he would be AFL ready from day one.

twist

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2003
f
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne
Strongly agree with this assesment.

There is a lot of Rama in the way Heppell plays. Good decision maker and outstanding foot skills. He directs traffic and set up play so very well, has real footy smarts in spades.

I would think he would be AFL ready from day one.

May even captain an AFL club one day!!

folester41

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
LFC
i think this guy will be the steal of the draft, wish he had shown a bit more and had a bit more dash, because his kicking, overhead marking and clean hands are what we need through the midfield/off half back.

i think this guy will be the steal of the draft, wish he had shown a bit more and had a bit more dash, because his kicking, overhead marking and clean hands are what we need through the midfield/off half back.

Where could he go in the Draft you think?

cooney_cougs

Debutant
Jun 8, 2008
Sth Gipp
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
big chance at top 10 i reckon.

- has recently been taking his turn in the middle at power, kicking goals and is dominating... proving he can play anywhere on the field for those who ever doubted his versatility
- perfect height and weight for an afl medium sized footballer and also likely to produce consistent testing at the draft combine. a pretty safe selection
- has performed so admirably this year at all levels considering his pre-season was minimal due to shin-splints.
- a great leader. i've got no doubts he will be a future c/vc of a club!

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
"Calder Cannons coach Martin Allison, who watched the game after his team's upset 27-point win over the Dandenong Stingrays to earn an eighth grand-final appearance in the past decade, believes Heppell is a definite top-three draft choice and Gold Coast-bound..."

That's pretty phenomenal if Heppell truly is in GC's sights. Also great for WC.

That's the Cannon's coaches opinion. It is not even his own coach talking him up!

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
Reads the play well, moves well for his height. A little like Mundy in the way he sets up.

Very smart in the air and on the ground and has quick hands in close which is a good talent for a backman. Could push into the middle or wing for periods.

JB17

Senior List
Sep 5, 2009
SA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
his foot skills any chance at becoming elite? or are they just above avg?

Back