Moved Thread #1: Majak Daw -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

5. As a result of Currie being unable to finish the game, Majak Daw’s role changed.

After playing mainly forward in the first half, Daw was the first choice ruckman for the rest of the afternoon.

“He was on (Ben) Reid when he was forward, and he looked to be really proactive on Maj early," Dyer said.

“Maj got caught a little away from it early on, but he fixed that up. He had a few opportunities to hit the scoreboard; it was a good test for him against a quality defender.

“It would have been nice to play him forward all day but then the circumstances changed.”

"We'd have loved to consider Majak this week but we felt with him unable to play a full game up forward we just couldn't make that call."

KCynic strikes again :thumbsu:

You could be a script writer for the coach mate.

So if Maj does eventually play who gets dropped? Waite ?
I suspect Maj will get plenty of game time once the sub is gone next year.

Personally I would've dropped Waite at least once by now.

It appears the coaches have Majak / Ben B. as the interchangeable options though.

To drop Waite would be to admit a drafting mistake and our match committee seems to have a dose of the Fonzies. I was wr... wr... wrong.

I initially thought Majak had a weak game and I admit I didn't see the game.
He didn't ruck the whole game and still got 38 hit-outs against a 211cm giant.
Seems like a good effort in a changed role by necessity ???

We appear to be treating Waite like Collingwood do Cloke..just play him until he finds form no matter how long it takes.

To drop Waite would be to admit a drafting mistake and our match committee seems to have a dose of the Fonzies. I was wr... wr... wrong.

Correct.

He's not in the leadership group with year of runs on the board like Dish.
He's not part of the future like BBB.

I feel that we have been playing him out of some validiation of the recruting strategy.

1 match - 7 goals
2 matches - 3 goals
1 match - 2 goals
1 match - 1 goal
5 matches - 0 goals

We bought him to kick clutch goals in games because he;'s got the experience and the composure to do so. We were wrong, give him a holiday and give Maj a run.

I initially thought Majak had a weak game and I admit I didn't see the game.
He didn't ruck the whole game and still got 38 hit-outs against a 211cm giant.
Seems like a good effort in a changed role by necessity ???
People now set the bar very high for Maj, hence the criticism I think. His tap work actually was very good. And while he only took one mark, his spoiling was very good. Also had a few goal assists. Not too bad for what he would admit was an average day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People now set the bar very high for Maj. His tap work was very good. And while he only took one mark, his spoiling was very good. Also had a few goal assists. Not bad for an average day.

This will happen again when he eventually does get a crack at AFL and doesn immediately produce world beating numbers.

Last year he had 3 years of development into him and 14 games of experience before he was scapegaoted for not putting up consistent numbers.

WE have carried many players through Scott's tenure in the hope that they would hit a magical point of mature consistency. Maj is not and has not been afforded that ability to date. One stint of 6 games in a row and one stint of 6 games in 7 weeks.

Once he's mature, Maj is going to be a huge asset for this club.

In 4 yearsboth him and BBB will be mature footballers who run riot on occasion.

People now set the bar very high for Maj, hence the criticism I think. His tap work actually was very good. And while he only took one mark, his spoiling was very good. Also had a few goal assists. Not too bad for what he would admit was an average day.

If selected where would he play?

Ruck? Doubt he would get more than 5 mins a quarter
Forward? As the third tall forward opportunities would be limited & it won’t take long for the haters to hate. I can’t see him getting a game unless we have an injury or drop Brown.

We had no Brown against Freo and played with 2 forwards and Maj couldn't get a gig. To state the obvious he will struggle to get a game ahead of any of the other forwards regardless of his form. The posting of waites "miraculous" mark and contender for mark of the year on the roos website will see him included in the team this week, regardless of his ineffectuality when shooting for gaol. Yes I know Higgo, Nahaaarse, boomer etal all missed sitters but maj isn't gunning for a small forward role. I wouldn't blame the guy if he wants out to another club.

If selected where would he play?

Ruck? Doubt he would get more than 5 mins a quarter
Forward? As the third tall forward opportunities would be limited & it won’t take long for the haters to hate. I can’t see him getting a game unless we have an injury or drop Brown.
That is the dilemma really? He is playing good footy, but could effectively spend the whole season in the VFL. Obviously he comes in for one of Dish, Waite, or Brown.

For me, it was a disgrace that Maj was left out for the Freo game. Yes, we had Brown injured. Yes, we lacked the 3rd tall and ruck support. But no, we still had a justification for not picking him. It means there is a very small window for Maj to climb through.

How about playing Dish as a follower and playing Daw forward in his place?

How about giving Goldy a couple of lighter games to keep him fresh, where he has longer stints forward and Daw takes 30-40% of the ruck load?

How about giving Waite a few 'managed' weeks off and playing the triple towers with Daw in his place?

But, but, but....

That is the dilemma really? He is playing good footy, but could effectively spend the whole season in the VFL. Obviously he comes in for one of Dish, Waite, or Brown.

For me, it was a disgrace that Maj was left out for the Freo game. Yes, we had Brown injured. Yes, we lacked the 3rd tall and ruck support. But no, we still had a justification for not picking him. It means there is a very small window for Maj to climb through.

How about playing Dish as a follower and playing Daw forward in his place?

How about giving Goldy a couple of lighter games to keep him fresh, where he has longer stints forward and Daw takes 30-40% of the ruck load?

How about giving Waite a few 'managed' weeks off and playing the triple towers with Daw in his place?

But, but, but....

I 100% agree with you but we are talking about the NMFC here & there is zero chance BS will change anything IMO.
Brad appears to have blind faith in his structures & some players.. other than Tarrant down back I don't see too many bold moves over the last 3 years. The recruitment of Waite could turn out to be a disasters for Maj,Wood & Black.

I 100% agree with you but we are talking about the NMFC here & there is zero chance BS will change anything IMO.
Brad appears to have blind faith in his structures & some players.. other than Tarrant down back I don't see too many bold moves over the last 3 years. The recruitment of Waite could turn out to be a disasters for Maj,Wood & Black.
Gotta say, I was happy we got Waite. But the idea that he would be a match winner was probably too optimistic. He has been serviceable, but like you suggest, the price we play is the stunted development of Maj and Black, maybe Wood, as they are denied senior experience. We are now locked into this forward structure, with Black being Waite's understudy, and Maj the same for Brown. All they can wait for is an injury or suspension while the 3 senior guys maintain their mediocre to reasonable form.

I'd be happy if he came in for Waite this week.

Won't happen though.....especially now GWS lack key defenders.

Waite will probably buy another 5 weeks by kicking a few.

Honestly I don't think Maj would be any better. When our mids are dominated and we don't have clean possession into the 50, no key forward is kicking goals.

Saying that, this is the perfect situation to reward Maj's efforts so far, if Petrie or Waite are a little underdone.

Been a bit of an issue for years (well aware we may not be the only offending club). Names like the below come to mind where we stuck with them and then they went from best 22 to gone in a heartbeat.:

Lance Picioane
Kasey Greene

Personally I don't think Waite has been atrocious but I also don't see it as the end of the world if he has to fight for it a bit after getting dropped. If Carlton can drop him last year surely we can as well.

Honestly I don't think Maj would be any better. When our mids are dominated and we don't have clean possession into the 50, no key forward is kicking goals.

Saying that, this is the perfect situation to reward Maj's efforts so far, if Petrie or Waite are a little underdone.

Personally I think Majak in form is infinitely more dangerous than any of our forwards in the event that we aren't giving clean possession. He physically has a tonne more tricks up his sleeve and can force the defenders structure to change. I just don't see the same ability to drop in front of him as he can sit on your head and apply ground level pressure.

We have 3 tall leading forwards and are struggling to get enough separation in the midfield to deliver well to them - something has to change.

Not just in the forward line.

Absolutely agree. In the meantime, maybe we try the guy that makes a 150 game full back like Merret sh*t his pants when he looks at him in his first game. Petrie, Brown and Waite are too similar for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back