Retired #10: Mark McVeigh - Appointed coach of GWS Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 10. Mark McVeigh

This guy will be ready to go this week. I think he's going to have a bit of aggro in him but he will direct it in the right spot!

bloody champion

he got us back in the game on saturday

look for him to go head to head with tyson edwards

He doesn't get the recognition but he's playing as well as some who will probably get AA honours this year.

I agree. He beats his aponent every week, no matter who they are, and also contributes offensively. He also consitently imposes himself on the game when we need a lift.

Have to say, I don't know what the fuss is about with McVeigh. Quick enough, does a job, consistent, finally learnt discipline (for the most part) - but I've seen threads that talk about him being classed among the 'elite'. In all seriousness, does he deserved to be rated that highly? An automatic selection in our 22, yes, but elite?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a gun.

Essendon Vrs Carlton rnd 20 this season..
Stanton was slowing down the game..to wind down the clock..
I was watching Macca and he was spitting chips.
Spit coming from his mouth...pretty much was saying "Keep going,keep going.....I was free!"

Stants did the quick motion of the hand telling him it's alright..siren should go soon.

I will never forget that...he was just so determined to keep going :thumbsu:

Would love to see him as Captain or Vice Captain.

Have to say, I don't know what the fuss is about with McVeigh. Quick enough, does a job, consistent, finally learnt discipline (for the most part) - but I've seen threads that talk about him being classed among the 'elite'. In all seriousness, does he deserved to be rated that highly? An automatic selection in our 22, yes, but elite?

Couldn't agree with you more there mate.

Was drafted to 10 in '98 and didn't make a consistant impact until last year. He's in our best couple of midfielders but is not a star. He wouldn't be in the best 20 midfielders in the league. Has another couple of strings in that he can do stopping roles in the middle and back and can kick goals.
That's what makes him a good player.

It's his heart and passion that people love.

That kind of stuff actually makes other people better players.

And he hasn't had one consistent year, he's had three.

It's his heart and passion that people love.

That kind of stuff actually makes other people better players.

And he hasn't had one consistent year, he's had three.

No, 2 good years. Unfortunately the bombers fans benchmark on what is good has fallen over recent years.

Yep, love his passion and heart.

Even if you reckon 3. 3 consistent seasons out of 9 for a top 10 draft pick....

Point is, he's not a star. He's just been a good player for the last couple of years in a very ordinary side. Will be important for us over the next couple of years in bringing the next crop through.

I think he's been harshly judged for a number of years.

Even in 2001 he was a very handy goal kicker in a good side.
In 2002 he went back and took him a while to adjust.

His 2004 was as good as his 2005, if not better.
He was rarely beaten down back, if ever in that time.

2006 he started to get more midfield time and got better and better with each game.

His 2007 was exceptional.

So it took him until 2004 to play consistent footy. Shock horror, it took him until he was 22 to become a consistent footballer at AFL level.

That's unheard of.

He's had 4 or 5 good years, if you're playing in the back pocket and you don't get beaten that is a good year. You can only perform the role you are asked to.

I think he's been harshly judged for a number of years.

Even in 2001 he was a very handy goal kicker in a good side.
In 2002 he went back and took him a while to adjust.

His 2004 was as good as his 2005, if not better.
He was rarely beaten down back, if ever in that time.

2006 he started to get more midfield time and got better and better with each game.

His 2007 was exceptional.

So it took him until 2004 to play consistent footy. Shock horror, it took him until he was 22 to become a consistent footballer at AFL level.

That's unheard of.

He's had 4 or 5 good years, if you're playing in the back pocket and you don't get beaten that is a good year. You can only perform the role you are asked to.

Each to their own. IMO he's been a good player for the past couple of years and inconsistent prior to then. He was beaten plenty in the backline in early days and was riddled with a lack of discipline.

One of the few established good players at the Bombers but no star.

He's not a star, but he's his career has been on an upward curve since 2003.

His 2001 was very good given the game time he played and his inexperience.

He's not a star, but he's his career has been on an upward curve since 2003.

His 2001 was very good given the game time he played and his inexperience.

Agreed his career curve has been on the up which is great. Hopefully he can help pull through the 9 - 10 young future stars on our list.

I think McVeigh can consider himself elite, his past 2 seasons have been absolute crackers!

Elite by current Essendon standards yes.

Campare his last 2 seasons to the 2000 team that one the flag. He wouldn't be in the best 8 - 10 players of that side.

He's not an elite player to anyone outside of Essendon, just a good one.

Don't get me wrong, I like him, it's just a bit of an indightment on Essendon that a player of his standard is in our best 3 - 4 players IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back