Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

10) Xavier Ellis - likes bruise-free loose man in defence football. Cant play anywhere besides half back
9) Shane Savage - Just doesn’t get enough of the ball
8) Hayden Ballantyne - is a poor field kick and also a poor set shot at goal. Only gets a game because of his good defensive pressure. Nowhere near the nous of a milne etc
7) Matt Priddis - Just slow and generally unskillful. Poor field kicking. Umpires pet who dives on the ball and rarely gets pinged or dives forward as soon as he is tackled.
6) Lance Franklin - Poor kick, very poor overhead mark - on huge money, enough said
5) Matthew Broadbent - is rated by port by who knows why? Cannot do anything exceptional well, doesn’t hurt the opposition enough
4) Lewis Roberts-Thompson - Still has a poor feel for the game and doesn’t do enough for a senior player.
3) Lance Franklin - Poor kick, very poor overhead mark - on huge money, enough said
2) Heritier Lumumba - A self-absorbed amateur philosopher who just isn’t that creative off half-back, isn't too good defensively as well
1) Travis Varcoe - poor hand and foot skills. Poor decision maker.

Honourable mentions Tom Scully - just hasn’t progressed. Doesn’t do enough for his younger teammates

Look out any player that leaves the Hawks. Imagine if Rioli ever played at another club!! If Buddy is on there twice how many times would you list Rioli?

Look out any player that leaves the Hawks. Imagine if Rioli ever played at another club!! If Buddy is on there twice how many times would you list Rioli?
It's only a matter of time before he comes home (dreaming, I know)

It's only a matter of time before he comes home (dreaming, I know)

Hands off mate ;)

I've had a few bomber mates since he was drafted saying that he will leave for Essendon.

Soon as they realised he wasn't going to leave they now just call overrated and not that good.

Besides commentators, it's really hard to find opposition supporters who truly see how important he is to our side. Rarely ever wastes a possession.

Yes we all wish he could get more of the ball but he isn't an accumulator. He doesn't play full time mid. He plays a role where getting over 20 possessions is hard to do. Not many small forwards do it often.

I always say appreciate what he can do and does and not what you think he should be able to do.

Hands off mate ;)

I've had a few bomber mates since he was drafted saying that he will leave for Essendon.

Soon as they realised he wasn't going to leave they now just call overrated and not that good.

Besides commentators, it's really hard to find opposition supporters who truly see how important he is to our side. Rarely ever wastes a possession.

Yes we all wish he could get more of the ball but he isn't an accumulator. He doesn't play full time mid. He plays a role where getting over 20 possessions is hard to do. Not many small forwards do it often.

I always say appreciate what he can do and does and not what you think he should be able to do.
It's a faint hope. I do think he's a bit overrated in the media, but he's still a good player

Hands off mate ;)

He destroyed us last year and was the difference between winning and losing. 20 of his touches is the same as 30 for most other mids.

It's Bruce that kills him.

Yeh it's ridiculous the stuff he says. So so so cringeworthy and most Hawks fan can't stand it. Makes most people hate Cyril because Bruce goes so over the top.

You can't appreciate anything Cyril does because you are already waiting for Bruce to jizz himself in the commentary box.

Most of the time I cringe but I genuinely LOL'D when I got home and watched the replay of the Freo match. The 'ooooh yess....caressing down someone's throat' ten seconds was as big of a WTF moment you could get in commentary of a sport.

Cyril's gone the opposite way. He was playing better this year than the last couple of years IMO, and yet over the past couple of years everybody in the media was going crazy over him, but these days they've cooled on him and started saying he's overrated. Classic case of being overrated early, and now they've cottoned on and tried to adjust so now they're underrating him. On his day he's a very, VERY good player, and started adding some consistency now, injury hit at a bad time.

Cyril's gone the opposite way. He was playing better this year than the last couple of years IMO, and yet over the past couple of years everybody in the media was going crazy over him, but these days they've cooled on him and started saying he's overrated. Classic case of being overrated early, and now they've cottoned on and tried to adjust so now they're underrating him. On his day he's a very, VERY good player, and started adding some consistency now, injury hit at a bad time.
reminds me of Higgins. burst onto the scene. everyone thought he was a star. slipped in form and he was called the most overrated player around and now people fail to recognise his good work and just put him in the "underperformer" category

I think it's more the case that similar-styled players have produced just as entertaining and more consistent football than what Cyril's achieved in his whole career to date.
Let's be honest, small forwards are there to kick goals, not to be the king's of defensive pressure acts, and the media have just jumped ship (except for Brereton who'll mention Rioli at every chance he can get) and started focusing on other forwards who are playing an exciting brand of footy against quality opposition regularly.

The Wingard's, Breust's, Motlop's, Eliott's, Matera's & plenty of others of the world are giving us more bang for the buck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's more the case that similar-styled players have produced just as entertaining and more consistent football than what Cyril's achieved in his whole career to date.
Let's be honest, small forwards are there to kick goals, not to be the king's of defensive pressure acts, and the media have just jumped ship (except for Brereton who'll mention Rioli at every chance he can get) and started focusing on other forwards who are playing an exciting brand of footy against quality opposition regularly.

The Wingard's, Breust's, Motlop's, Eliott's, Matera's & plenty of others of the world are giving us more bang for the buck.
Well that's just patently wrong. Small forwards are there to kick goals, and to put a lot of pressure on the opposition, which is what Cyril does and is bloody good at.

Ok so its a slow day at work - so I thought I would work out top 10 voted by Big Footy. I did not go back 2011 as it is for current players.

A total of 141 players have been named in this thread since the start of 2013.

The top 10 most over rated players judged by Big Footy are:

1) Michael Hurley - Hurley was a clear winner on 24 votes.

2) Cyril Rioli - 19 votes
3) Lance Franklin - 14 votes
4) Trent Cotchin - 13 votes
5) Nic Nat - 12 votes
6) Jack Reiwoldt - 11 votes
7 & 8 ) Marc Murphy & Nick Maxwell - 10 votes
9) Jimmy Bartel - 9 votes
10) J Waite, B Gibbs, M Kruezer - 8 votes

the bomb

Lets have a 12 month sig bet, Hurley has to play 18+ games and I bet he will make the AA top 40 squad.
If Hurley plays less than 18 games the bet then goes on to the 2015 season.

I will take the bet - but you will lose your account if he does not make it.

3 more games and counting!!

Some players are really putting a dent in their careers in 2014.

Jake Carlisle
Dale Thomas
Ty Vickery
Drew Petrie
Brent Reilly
Chris Mayne
Travis Varcoe
Brent Maloney
David Zaharakis
How's this working out for you :straining:

the bomb

Lets have a 12 month sig bet, Hurley has to play 18+ games and I bet he will make the AA top 40 squad.
If Hurley plays less than 18 games the bet then goes on to the 2015 season.

3 more games and counting!!

Hey Wild Bill, l'm on the ropes.

How's this working out for you :straining:

Really good - hey do you remember when Hurley kicked 5 V Freo and then the next week kicked 6 V the Dogs. Good times.

22 goals in 16 games?? I would rate that as a poor return from a key forward. Petrie is having a terrible year but has kicked more goals.

Last edited:
Really good - hey do you remember when Hurley kicked 5 V Freo and then the next week kicked 6 V the Dogs. Good times.

22 goals in 16 games?? I would rate that as a poor return from a key forward. Petrie is having a terrible year but have kicked more goals.
Given the fact that he was sub in 1, played in defence against Richmond, GWS, Melbourne and Port. So in reality it's 22 goals in 11 games, that's acceptable for a key forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back