Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

An excellent contributor in one of our leanest periods, he had many great blocks of form for many years involving some high quality footy. Plus a great bloke to boot, who always had time for fans. Fantastic guy to have around your club! Hope he gets an opportunity elsewhere. What more can you say about ANZAC Day 2009, childhood Bomber with a clutch goal in his first year in swirling rain whilst Joffa just put his gold jacket on. Amazing!

This feels like yesterday!
Gumby :(
Time flies mangs, and womangs.

10+ years on and Andy 'Youse Blokes' Maher is still insufferable with that weird laugh and dumb questions.

Can’t imagine it. Dont think there’s a team where he’d be able to play a role with his current attributes. Everyone says Gold Coast but I can’t see them having a spot for him in their top 30 with the amount of kids coming through.
Yeah same. GC used to be the destination club for players of his profile but I get the feeling they're past that.

The guy has played 223 games for the club, kicked over 100 goals including plenty of important ones late in games, let alone match winning goals against arguably our two biggest rivals, won a best and fairest and was a fantastic leader in 2016 when we'd lost half our best side. He lives and breathes the Essendon Football Club and was extremely popular amongst the playing group and off field staff.

Treat the guy with a little respect. It isn't hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy has played 223 games for the club, kicked over 100 goals including plenty of important ones late in games, let alone match winning goals against arguably our two biggest rivals, won a best and fairest and was a fantastic leader in 2016 when we'd lost half our best side. He lives and breathes the Essendon Football Club and was extremely popular amongst the playing group and off field staff.

Treat the guy with a little respect. It isn't hard.

Well loved wouldn't use those words

Guess thank you for 1 good year and 1 great game
giphy.gif

For the record I was never a total fan. I was critical of his one way running at times and I never though a lot of him before we drafted him.
In saying that you simply can not say he was not a good player. He was.
I will add another thing and that is I actually admire his efforts in the last 4 years. His form may not have been great but he put his hand up to play out of position at half back and then as defensive forward and worked really hard on what he was doing defensively. It was almost a rock and a hard place selection decision last year as his form said drop me but he was one of a very few who where trying to do the team things and was willing to have a go in a spot he had never really played before.
If you could get one like him every year with a second round selection you would be an absolute mile in front.

Aesthetically one of my fav Ess players to watch when in full flight the last decade. Just always seemed to cop an injury that prevented him from becoming that genuine A grader he threatened to be.

Good career, great clubman but an overdue call by the club to call time.

All the best Zaka!

Yeah, I’ve mixed memories of Zaka and the recency effect affects my sentiment to a degree, but there’s no point sinking the boots in as he departs. I appreciate the good stuff he gave us and wish him all the best.

Long may his collection of sports caps grow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back