Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

For posterity; https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/1011764/boyhood-bomber-bids-farewell

Feels like the end of an era... will be very strange to see him in different colours.

“I lived out my boyhood dream to play for the Essendon Football Club, and for that I will always be incredibly grateful. It’s been a honour to be part of this club,” Zaharakis said.

“I leave the club knowing I gave it my all, and hopefully I brought some joy to our members and supporters along the way - they’ve stuck fat with the club and we’re a better place for it.

“I just want to thank everyone who has been part of my journey at Essendon. It’s been a surreal ride but one I will forever look back on so fondly.

“We had really transparent discussions with the club in recent months, and now I’m looking forward to seeing what the future holds. I’m hopeful to continue my AFL career elsewhere as I still feel I have a lot to offer.

“I truly wish this playing group and coaches all the very best for the coming years. There’s no doubt the future looks bright for the Bombers.”

Had some incredible moments. Won't get thanked enough for what he did in 2016. I'll remember him fondly for that month in 2014 when Watson went out, and he absolutely dominated. That game against Melbourne 😍

Yep. Played some very big games but never cracked it with the fans. His 2011 was pretty special from a 3rd year half forward.

Shaped as an A grader in 2013 and 2014 but it didn't click.

Never a powerful player he seemed to lose something physically and just never found a role that suited him.

I'm surprised that he couldn't force his way back in at half forward from 2018 but I suppose injury ruined that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been a bit of a whipping boy for a couple of years now of course but you don’t play 220 AFL games without doing a whole hell of a lot right.

Also a B&F winner so it shouldn’t be forgotten how good he was at his peak.

Always thought he should’ve been captain in 2016, thought it was a good opportunity to see if somebody could grow into it. Nonetheless he was very good for us that year.

A bloke that will never be forgotten, mainly cause that Anzac Day goal will forever be replayed till the end of time lol. That goal was also the reason there's is a fist size indentation in the ceiling of the house I not long ago sold, good times.
Good luck in the future.

Been a great player for us and I was one who was not a fan when we drafted him. I was wrong. He had a great career. :thumbsu: :cool:

Forged a decent AFL career with over 200 games played. Never a champion but a solid player at his best. A true Essendon man through and through.

Thanks for your service Zaka, hope someone else picks you up.👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back