Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly
Astbury is 300k pi55ed up the wall
Mate thats not right...Dave was tracking ok last year until his second kneecap...then he stingrayed himself start of this year. Agree he has no lateral or pace...but that's only become apparent this year. Whatever he was on tho was fair for a bloke who started and was rolling last year in good shape. So if the Lions want him to go straight ahead from FB then ok...we seek a big bloke down back with a few more angles. He isn't out of contract or delisted, so a swap of something has to occur.

We pissed way more money against the wall for Knights if it wasn't performance based...especially if the Crows called him on his body and not excess to needs.

Mate thats not right...Dave was tracking ok last year until his second kneecap...then he stingrayed himself start of this year. Agree he has no lateral or pace...but that's only become apparent this year. Whatever he was on tho was fair for a bloke who started and was rolling last year in good shape. So if the Lions want him to go straight ahead from FB then ok...we seek a big bloke down back with a few more angles. He isn't out of contract or delisted, so a swap of something has to occur.

We pissed way more money against the wall for Knights if it wasn't performance based...especially if the Crows called him on his body and not excess to needs.
Oh I agree on Knights,but if I could get a dollar for all the money we've put into list cloggers over the last 30 years I reckon I'd be doing well
My point is we have to start improving the list and moving expensive insurance players on considering we have Elton
I'd hope to con some club into taking him and giving us something , but gee it would be a big heist for us

Astbury is way too slow at afl lv. I dont care about his first 6 or 7 peformances last year. As chaplin has shown the last 2 years in finals footy... when you are a kpb in an average team you need to be fast thinking or athletic. Get something while we can. Astbury.. i enjoyed watchen ya at the vfl this year and i'll be sure to watch for your results in the NEAFL too. Good luck

He will be in Brisbane's best 22, that's the whole reason Brisbane are keen on him.
Indeed he would be.. if he doesnt get interrupted by injury again which he will. Unfortunately for Dave he isnt quite fast or strong enough to do what he needs to as a 3rd defender... so he should be traded and i think he will be... watch for him in the Neafl on another comeback

Personally I like Astbury better than Chaplin. Neither are much chop but Astbury is better man on man.

Can't see how Brisbane can play him and Merrett in the same backline -to slow.
Exactly right. But we wont get stuff all for chaplin cause he has no currency. So whilst someone wants astbury we should piss him off and get a 2nd rounder.. Chaplin should be a depth player if we are serious this year

Exactly right. But we wont get stuff all for chaplin cause he has no currency. So whilst someone wants astbury we should piss him off and get a 2nd rounder.. Chaplin should be a depth player if we are serious this year
Id be happy to see Chaplin as a depth player. Just need someone else to step up to the plate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But but but we anointed him with the number 12 was gonna be the next richo
astbury still has time on his side to be an enormous player for us, i have been on this site for long enough to remember there were a lot of numbskulls on here who would bag the richoman and wanted him sacked or traded .

i read a lot on here and see and hear the way some carry on like pork chops and understand why a lot of AFL players dont give the time of day to most punters once their in their civvies and its a pity coz 98% love, respect and support their clubs and some are just loud mouthed frustrated barracking fair weathered yobbos and imposters.

astbury still has time on his side to be an enormous player for us, i have been on this site for long enough to remember there were a lot of numbskulls on here who would bag the richoman and wanted him sacked or traded .

i read a lot on here and see and hear the way some carry on like pork chops and understand why a lot of AFL players dont give the time of day to most punters once their in their civvies and its a pity coz 98% love, respect and support their clubs and some are just loud mouthed frustrated barracking fair weathered yobbos and imposters.
Time waits for no club
Heart string breaking decisions need to be made in order to progress otherwise our threesheet in EF will become a poorfour
XXXX guys like Astbury who are just average fringe players. They won't improve our list . Really there are better VFL players out there than him.
How mch time does he have to improve at $300 k a year?
What areas is he going to improve in? Most of his issues are based on physical stature and speed which cannot be improved. So before you make ad hoc calls back them up especially if you're going to pot posters
Why should any player be bigger than the club? Hawks move players on even after success. Bailey Hale Lake Ellis etc etc and we piss our pants and keep Newman bc he offers experience
It's this kick behind the play soft love mentality that leaves your list stale and stagnant. Anyway thanks for your advice Blair

Last edited:
Oh I agree on Knights,but if I could get a dollar for all the money we've put into list cloggers over the last 30 years I reckon I'd be doing well
My point is we have to start improving the list and moving expensive insurance players on considering we have Elton
I'd hope to con some club into taking him and giving us something , but gee it would be a big heist for us
No argument from me in cleaning out marginal talent...as long as we can upgrade, it's imperative. And it doesn't start now, it should be always ongoing.

My thinking is that from this point onwards, we are no longer constrained by short term needs or limited drafts.

It's not that tho mate...and I'm not potting Dave at all. If the thinking is that Dave will get limited game time due to a possible Chaplin/Elton combo, then it's pointless leaving him in the VFL for a year and seeing him delisted or nominating for the Pre next year. If the Lions can use him, we get a Win Win by hopefully getting a good youngster/draft in return. Would have been the same if Dave was in good nick and Elton was excess to needs

Depends on the price. Depth is always good but if the offers good...then we should take it
For sure.
There's some really talented KPD's ready to go in the state leagues that can fill that depth role. MICHAEL Hartley who is a 198cm 102kg KPD for Coburg is one that comes to mind. He was in the VFL team of the year and won Coburgs B&F. I watched him towel up McBean in the 2's late in the year at PRO.

For sure.
There's some really talented KPD's ready to go in the state leagues that can fill that depth role. MICHAEL Hartley who is a 198cm 102kg KPD for Coburg is one that comes to mind. He was in the VFL team of the year and won Coburgs B&F. I watched him towel up McBean in the 2's late in the year at PRO.
Exactly
He won't get the monster forward like Cloke , but he could handle a Waite or Petrie with his closing speed and jumping spoils
His only weakness is he's a bit cocky and doesn't do the team thing at times. Tries to mark too often rather thAn spoil
German was critical of him for this in the Casey game when he played on a giant like Jaymar and another big dude they had
Coburg was outsized in defence that day. I'm sure he'd look a million dollars next to Rance

Last edited:
Oh no, not Astbury! I'd swap him for Leon the Lion.

Not meaning to offend the guy, he has Richos number. But it's hard to know in a forum when your being too negative. I just think that it's only going to be extreme at Richmond for him, turn into a Rance or a delist. If a trade comes up why not?

In two years time I would be equally surprised seeing him replacing Lake at Hawthorn as I would be seeing him playing in a country league.

For sure.
How can anyone not love the Coburg Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back