Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like getting a fine for an overly rough tackle is the AFL equivalent of a foul for boxing out in basketball. No coach is ever going to be mad with it.

You certainly wouldn't be mad about the tackle, the aggression at the contest was absolutely brilliant, and something seldom seen in the first hour or so of a players AFL career.

It's the AFL's latest focus in cracking down on not only dangerous tackles, but potentially dangerous tackles. I think they'll still save the suspensions for instances when a player is actually injured, but those with the potential to cause injury like this one will hit the player in the hip pocket instead.

I liked what a saw. Very much a no bulls**t kind of fella I think.

Anyone see much of Darcy Parish or know how he got on?
I watched the first quarter of that game (it was horrible), Parish absolutely shanked his first few possessions which I saw, probs just nerves, but apparently was very good after that. Looked tiny though.

How bout they fine Hartlett for riding Brayshaw illegally into the ground and nearly farking his knee up:mad:
I noticed a lot of port players had fairly shithouse tackling technique on the weekend. They'll be on the end of a few lopsided free kick counts if they continue like that. Lots of driving into the back

I watched the first quarter of that game (it was horrible), Parish absolutely shanked his first few possessions which I saw, probs just nerves, but apparently was very good after that. Looked tiny though.

Yeah not a big guy.
That's the one thing we've started to do under Roosy is recruit bigger bodied mids with a bit of height about them which I love!

Yep. Was good to see Harmesy have a bit of bulk on him too last weekend. Him bursting through packs was great to see - not a bad roost from the 50 either.

Yep he showed enough last year for me to be real keen to see how he goes and Kent is another, I feel has that bit of X factor that we've been looking for since... s**t, The Wiz?

Liked the look of Oliver on the weekend.

Good size and awareness

Personally reckon the fine for the tackle was a bit BS, the other fella (Young?) tried to spin out of the tackle which helped with the sling momentum.

But meh

Liked the look of Oliver on the weekend.

Good size and awareness

Personally reckon the fine for the tackle was a bit BS, the other fella (Young?) tried to spin out of the tackle which helped with the sling momentum.

But meh
That what i often think of the sling tackle, most times the slinging motion is caused by the other player trying to break free but comeback with force with the tackle. i honestly can't see how the AFL can prevent that happening when one player wants to get the ball and the other wants to keep it.

Another performance like that and Jordy Jnr will have played himself into our best 22. Think this kid is going to be a gun. He's quick, tough, composed and has got a bit of swagger. Our recruiting has improved so much over the last few years. There was one passage against Port where Oliver hit a pack at full tilt and picked a handball up off his toes, it was like watching Dangerfield.

Another performance like that and Jordy Jnr will have played himself into our best 22. Think this kid is going to be a gun. He's quick, tough, composed and has got a bit of swagger. Our recruiting has improved so much over the last few years. There was one passage against Port where Oliver hit a pack at full tilt and picked a handball up off his toes, it was like watching Dangerfield.
I know the bit you are talking about. Really explosive - I even said "holy shit, he looks like another Dangerfield"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the bit you are talking about. Really explosive - I even said "holy shit, he looks like another Dangerfield"
I said the same thing ... well actually, i believe i said something like "he looks like a very pale, soulless Dangerfield" ... but basically the same thing

Fined $1k for being too rough...the AFL are kents

Rubbish. The tackle was unavoidable. Port player spun into it and Oliver took the momentum with him. Stop encouraging players to avoid contact.

Agree 100% our recruiting has improved out of sight.
We really do recruit competitive looking fellas with our top picks as opposed to blokes like Morton, Toumpas, Lucas Cook, Gysberts, Watts, Blease... god I could be here a while.

Welcome back Tempy!

Rubbish. The tackle was unavoidable. Port player spun into it and Oliver took the momentum with him. Stop encouraging players to avoid contact.

He's unlucky because he's the first player to be picked up on a Dangerous Tackle charge. They would be well aware that he's done quite a small amount to contribute to the motion of the tackle when you take a good look at it, but it doesn't look too good on first glance, so they need to hit him with something. He's the first to cop it, but he won't be the last

I like the one where he went flying from one side of the contest to the other, came out with the ball and hit Hogan up with a nice kick

I feel like getting a fine for an overly rough tackle is the AFL equivalent of a foul for boxing out in basketball. No coach is ever going to be mad with it.
Illegal screen decking the opposing star guard.

Looked great today. Was concerned when his leg appeared to have fallen off halfway through the last but turns out it was just cramp.

As with last week, his vision and composure is superb. Probably now just needs to work on running out games and finding even more of the footy.

Didn't think he'd be ready for a round 1 debut but after seeing him first hand today he's got a big chance. Fitness is better than I thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back