Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully he stays in the squad when it is trimmed by three.

I'm nominating MJones and DTerlich for the first two spots.

Fingers crossed! He's been killing it by all report's so don't see why he wouldn't make it :)
Terlich, Jones & Viv Michie out I'm guessing

Showed a bit today! Knows how to find the footy and uses it well. Great intensity and can lay a strong tackle

Happy with this bloke. I thought he showed the right signs out at Casey a week back, and I'm really excited he still looks good today. Right instincts and looks like a natural AFL player - plus a natural for big bodied mids.

I'm on board the Oliver train

Was pretty impressed with him. Tackled well, provided pressure, and made good decisions. I think he ran out of puff in the 2nd half but that is cool being a first gamer. I particularly loved the runs he made outof congestion (most unrewarded) to receive the ball. once he is part of the midfield starting group it will all click IMO. Mills, Milera & Oliver have really stood out of all the draftees

I thought his inside contest work was already up to AFL standard and in an inside role it wont be too long before he gets a gig
HIs ability to hit the ball on the ground at speed thus making him hard to tackle was elite
I would say he looks equally as impressive early as Brayshaw, different types with Brayshaw being a bit more creative imo but Oliver looks like a great clearance prospect with his size and style of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems like a s**t bloke on the field which is what we need more of. Kent is another one.

If he keeps sticking his tackles and shows the poise he did yesterday for the rest of the 'Challenge, then he'll be a chance for Round 1. Particularly if Brayshaw doesn't get any match practice before then.

I think it shows thatwe have developed a side along the lines of the Swans too. Sydney under Roos really had no pure outside mids - everyone was capable of going through and doing the grunt work. The same is becoming true with us. I would trust almost any combination of midfielders and flankers to dive through the contest and win their own ball. Such an arrangement means that you can maintain the tough defensive footy despite the interchange numbers, because every bloke can go through the guts.

This from Oliver being interviewed after the game........“I just loved it. I loved going in for the ball. I hunted it and loved the contest. It was my sort of game.
Fantastic attitude, he is going to be a gun I reckon.

Sling tackles would come natural to quite a lot of players, young players like Clayton are going to have to learn to not do them. His one didn't even look bad.

I was a bit pissed off but heck it - what happened happened.

How many 1st gamers get pinged for lifting a bloke and duing him? Rare because usually strength isn't there yet.

Good for him. Hope he learns re legal tackling style in case of reports like this, but at the same time loved his approach. Have my eye on this lad...

I was a bit pissed off but **** it - what happened happened.

How many 1st gamers get pinged for lifting a bloke and duing him? Rare because usually strength isn't there yet.

Good for him. Hope he learns re legal tackling style in case of reports like this, but at the same time loved his approach. Have my eye on this lad...
Please read my post thing above. If I had a point let me know, but if not whatever. Officially pissed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back