• Jack Watts

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2 coaches votes on the weekend

what is going on?!
I have some theories:
- he’s getting better with age..?
- he’s recently found out about BF, and thought “Right! Enough is enough, I don’t take kindly to being any forum’s whipping boy!”..?

I have some theories:
- he’s getting better with age..?
- he’s recently found out about BF, and thought “Right! Enough is enough, I don’t take kindly to being any forum’s whipping boy!”..?

Michael Doughty theory.

Forever young and only just entering his prime...

Has actually been pretty decent the last 10 years. Easily a best 22 player. I mean the guy has played over 200 games under 6 different head coaches. Just try and keep it quiet - plenty of experts on here don't understand footy.
I can see both ends of the arguments. When in 2017, he was without a doubt in my mind a best 22, and agreed the 200 games plus is a strong indicator of the team’s relevance.
Though this year, with the strong crop we have creeping through, he is on the cusp of being pushed out of “best 22”. He’s playing like he knows that, and I get the feeling if his form dips, we get more players back from injuries, then it would be hard for him to come back into the team. I hope he continues this trend of form though.

Anyone that wants to go back to the 2009 Semi final v Collingwood will see DMac was elite, almost single handedly dragged us into a Prelim.

Is the talent there? Clearly yes.

Has it been realised over 200 games? Absolutely not.

It’s the waste of what he can actually do + the acceptance that a game like Sunday is his ceiling - that is so frustrating.

He had a quality game and is having the best year of his career, we’ve only been waiting 10 plus years, but’s it’s only early, he tends to start the seasons well before being dropped.

And old mate, if your decent you don’t get dropped once a year.

Hes had two really good games and the rest have been Meh. The story of every year for the last 10. 2009 was his best. The game we saw on the weekend needs to be the norm for him. These 15-18 possession games, I would rather a younger player in. But if he continue to plays like he did on Sunday he can stay.

Two very good games by Round 5 means he's on target for his best ever season

And to be fair puts him 1-2 good games ahead of most of our players this season

Personally I don't think he'll ever do anything worthwhile in a tough game against a good team but hey, we're not exactly flush with these players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes had two really good games and the rest have been Meh. The story of every year for the last 10. 2009 was his best. The game we saw on the weekend needs to be the norm for him. These 15-18 possession games, I would rather a younger player in. But if he continue to plays like he did on Sunday he can stay.

And if he doesn't continue to play like he did on Sunday then, well, guess what? He's staying anyway.

2 coaches votes on the weekend

what is going on?!

The cynic part of me is Mackay is doing the classic "oh shit my career is in danger, I better get hot" that a lot of people go through.

The cynic part of me is Mackay is doing the classic "oh shit my career is in danger, I better get hot" that a lot of people go through.
Maybe Mackay's game and Atkins' improved effort is a pay off for dropping Gibbs and Jenkins the last two weeks.

Let's hope it's a sustained improvement rather than a dead cat bounce

Mackay's contract ends this year right? He always ups his performances right before contract renewal. Good game by him on the weekend. Personally didn't think he was our best, but he was up there.

Finishes low in Best & Fairest every season

Been here for years but never been anywhere near our leadership group. Even in our most bloated years hasn't got a gig

No outside recognition from umpires, opposition coaches votes, media awards.

Yet always an automatic selection.

It doesn't add up. It's infuriating to watch and must be even more infuriating for those who miss out on selection for him.

Don't blame the player... I don't. It's 100% on the heads of a lengthening line of sacked coaches.
You know, i reckon we all have one of these at work.

Not the best, not the worst. Knows the systems, never rocks the boat and popular with colleagues. No one in charge is ever in place long enough to work out how they got there and how to move them on, usually bigger issues to deal with.

Retires after many years of work with the only recognition being years of service.

Back