Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

537055_3845288949551_1181380826_n.jpg

Welcome to the Essendon Football Club, Jason Ashby.

Height: 185cm
Weight: 77kg
D/O/B: 16/5/1994
Position: Back flanker
Drafted From: Oakleigh Chargers, Pick #34

Key Strengths:
  • Strong runner
  • Excellent endurance
  • Strong overhead mark
  • Relentless attack on the ball
  • Can play as both a rebound defender and a 1 on 1 defender if called upon
  • Strong tackler
Weaknesses:
  • Kicking is a concern
  • Inconsistency
  • Not all that quick on his feet
No-one really saw this coming. Ashby is an extremely solid defender who's work ethic sets him aside from a lot of other medium sized defenders in the draft. His skills are solid without being fantastic, but the fact that he pushes himself hard in games is enough to make him a very handy pick up for the Bombers.
Whilst Ashby is a solid kick of the footy, it's been noted that he really lacks penetration on his kicks out of defence, as well as accuracy. While this is cause for some concern (as we were exposed in this area in 2012), a solid pre-season with the kicking coaches should help him a lot.
Averaged 18.2 disposals in his nine TAC matches this year, running at 70.7% efficiency.

Lot of pressure and expectation on this lad.
It'll be hard to follow up JD.

BTG, I generally respect what you post, who are you thinking we'll pick up? The general consensus seems to be either Jacobs or Atkins.

Just do something who ever you are...don't think, DO!!!!

It'll be hard to follow up JD.

BTG, I generally respect what you post, who are you thinking we'll pick up? The general consensus seems to be either Jacobs or Atkins.

I know nothing about the kids, so I'd just be guessing.

I think Jacobs will be an excellent player though, so if we pass on him, I'd expect a lot of the kid we pass on him for.

#35 Carlton – Jason Ashby (VIC – Def)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 16/05/1994
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Ashby has improved strongly this season playing off a back flank. He has a really strong running game and has excellent endurance. Has a solid two way game and not only can provide rebound with his run and carry game but can also play a lock down role and limit the goals of his direct opponent through a solid 1v1 game. Strong mark overhead and really attacks the ball. Ashby’s deficiency is in his kicking, the hurt factor isn’t there of some of the other prospects and it can lack consistency at times which he will want to clean up.

77. St Kilda – Jason Ashby (185cm defender – Oakleigh)

There are a few medium defenders in this draft who haven’t been getting any attention, and Ashby is yet another one of those. But in a draft where nothing is guaranteed after the top 20, a solid player wouldn’t be a bad choice. Ashby is a rebounding defender, who can also play defensive shut down roles on opposition forwards (including a good job on Whitfield). He isn’t an elite sprinter and he probably wouldn’t be one of the top endurance runners either, but he simply works harder than most and that allows him to impact games. His skills are decent without being special, and he is a strong tackler.

# 47 North Melb
Jason Ashby
Oakleigh Chargers
185cm / 77kg / ‘94
Jury is a bit out on me with Jason as to whether he goes around here or in the rookie. Saw him once with my brother and one of us was very positive and the other wasnt so sure. Seems a more outside type of player who certainly racks it up and uses it well but just not sure how in demand he will be. Certainly tested very well at draft camp.

Hard running defender who links up well providing terrific rebound for the Chargers. Smart decision maker with and without the ball, showing himself to be sound overhead and a quality defensive spoiler. Averaged 18.2 disposals in nine TAC matches this year at 70.7 percent efficiency.

also from memory, that's knightmare's, chris25 and snoop dog's thoughts on him, in order. i'll check later

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Atkins went so late. The experts were dumbfounded this draft, so who knows if we did well.
A lot of the coaches were saying that character is every bit as important as skill/athleticism. Most of the pundits wouldn't have much idea about each kid's character because they wouldn't have had a chance to interview them all the way the recruiters did. Some of the kids that slid more than expected might have been found out to be lazy shits during the interviews.

A lot of the coaches were saying that character is every bit as important as skill/athleticism. Most of the pundits wouldn't have much idea about each kid's character because they wouldn't have had a chance to interview them all the way the recruiters did. Some of the kids that slid more than expected might have been found out to be lazy shits during the interviews.
Good post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back