Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm in absolute shock.

A player that never touted he was leaving is now staying at the club.

Wait, you mean he's not leaving because another Aboriginal player is? How does that work?

Dempsey’s manager Justin Reid said his client had no interest in leaving the Bombers.

“At this time of year there is a lot of things thrown around but I know for a fact that he is comfortable at Essendon and he enjoys it there,” Reid said.

“We heard that one as well which we found quiet bizarre. I think it was reported without any substances or homework.”

I think maybe there were some substances involved with this story. ;)

I think maybe there were some substances involved with this story. ;)
redcard.jpg

This was a bit of a surprise to me. I would have thought he would have also liked to go back to QLD to be with family. He he a crap year so there may not have been much interest. Hopefully he can get a full preseason and get back to that damaging half back role.

Of all the guys in our rock solid defensive back 6, is Dempsey the most under pressure from the kids pushing through?

(oh, and NO, he is NOT moving up onto the wing as has been discussed at this point every year for the past 4)
Yes, but he's still comfortably best 22.

Yes, but he's still comfortably best 22.

I agree, he is still firmly entrenched in our best 22(back 6) but of all the guys in the best 22, he is the guy who cannot afford to have 3 bad weeks of football in a row and expect to continue getting a game.

With high hopes for Browne, Dalgleish returning and Ashby, Gleeson taking strides, Dempsey can ill afford to drop off.

I'm assuming that 6 to be Hooker/Hurley/Fletcher/Dempsey/Hibberd/Baguely?

If so, Fletcher is the clear #1 spot under pressure. Correct though in saying Dempsey is probably next, as much for the fact that we have an incredible amount of younger guys who seem to play the same role - Dalgleish, Browne, Ashby and Gleeson as said above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be that back 6;

Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
Hibberd - Hurley - Dempsey

Gwilt/Steinberg would invariably come in for Fletcher if/when he is unavailable. With the abundance of running defenders developing, Dempsey will want to keep playing to a high standard, especially when one of Gleeson, Browne or Ashby possibly filling a bench role.

Of all the guys in our rock solid defensive back 6, is Dempsey the most under pressure from the kids pushing through?

(oh, and NO, he is NOT moving up onto the wing as has been discussed at this point every year for the past 4)
It might be a good thing if one of the younger defenders passes him. He is an unrestricted free agent at the end of 2015 and I think a move to Queensland is definitely on the cards.

It might be a good thing if one of the younger defenders passes him. He is an unrestricted free agent at the end of 2015 and I think a move to Queensland is definitely on the cards.
This guy again :rolleyes:

As of right now he's probably safe, but a lot will depend on how he and the others go over preseason. A big summer from any of Gleeson, Dalgleish or Ashby (or whoever we draft this week) could see him in danger.

Not that this is a bad thing. Dempsey's a handy footballer but the list developing to a point where he is pushed out of the best 22 is a good sign for the future.

As of right now he's probably safe, but a lot will depend on how he and the others go over preseason. A big summer from any of Gleeson, Dalgleish or Ashby (or whoever we draft this week) could see him in danger.

Not that this is a bad thing. Dempsey's a handy footballer but the list developing to a point where he is pushed out of the best 22 is a good sign for the future.

Couldn't agree with you any more. This is exactly what I'm saying. It's no indictment on Courtney but a reflection on the club and list as a whole.

Bit of talk about guys like Dalgleish, Gleeson and Browne lining up positions in the seniors.

Dempsey isn't the lock that he was in 2013. With a few blokes lining him up, wouldn't be surprised to see him play some games with the VFL Bombers due to form. 2014 wasn't exactly blistering considering we know how well he can play.

Bit of talk about guys like Dalgleish, Gleeson and Browne lining up positions in the seniors.

Dempsey isn't the lock that he was in 2013. With a few blokes lining him up, wouldn't be surprised to see him play some games with the VFL Bombers due to form. 2014 wasn't exactly blistering considering we know how well he can play.
He surpasses all three on defensive ability and Browne isn't in our top 30, let alone best 22.

He surpasses all three on defensive ability and Browne isn't in our top 30, let alone best 22.

Currently, yes.

Just think that the three guys mentioned are in prime position to get a look into his position off half back. With Hibberd playing a 50:50 (deffensive/offensive) role and Bags playing that deffensive (80:20 split), we have that flexibitliy to push these younger guys up into the seniors.

Currently, yes.

Just think that the three guys mentioned are in prime position to get a look into his position off half back. With Hibberd playing a 50:50 (deffensive/offensive) role and Bags playing that deffensive (80:20 split), we have that flexibitliy to push these younger guys up into the seniors.
I prefer all of them to be playing at least a 70:30 split for all of them. a 50:50 split is far too agressive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back