15 years ago tonight!

Remove this Banner Ad

The age old debate of the pack mark speccy vs the one man speccy.

I still reckon Tarrant was stiff that year, I’ve always rated the Roach/Tarrant pack screamers better. Visually looks better to me when it’s over a whole heap of people.

D4AC17C2-C4B9-4831-9A02-496AFAE67B8D.jpeg

I still reckon Tarrant was stiff that year, I’ve always rated the Roach/Tarrant pack screamers better. Visually looks better to me when it’s over a whole heap of people.

View attachment 523260

I'm not sure there's been a better 1-2 in a MOTY contest. Both ridiculous.

I have to disagree.

People blow their load over the mark where one guy climbs the back of just one guy. If we're gonna talk about those ones, that Swans player from about 20 years ago put together a whole bunch of those that are probably better than anyone else's. Especially as he just leaped straight up, not a running jump as such. What's that Swans player's name? My memory is F'd.

Anyway, those types of marks are not the best imo. The best are when the guy climbs thru a pack of players, riding the back of one or two players.

But even better than those, anytime someone has had to come in from the side, and climbed someone's shoulder, or climbed a pack of players coming in from the side. Apparently someone like Royce Hart was supposed to be a legend at that. I wouldn't know the players' names, but I've seen AR highlights over the years where someone's come in from the side (or from the back) and fought thru a pack, climbed the pack.

You guys would know all the most famous ones, if there's youtube videos of.

You’d rate this one then? Jumps over Tippett and Kreuzer

Can’t believe people try to downgrade the quality of the park reading through this thread. How many marks have been taken that look anything like this one?

The only mark even mentioned in this thread that should be downgraded is Ablett’s, which must have been called a mark out of reputation and/or theatre, he didn’t even have full control of the ball at any point & then dropped it.

Moorcroft's mark should be one of those Toyota memorable moments ads.

Johnno would be a good enough sport to be in it I'm sure.

Unfortunately Moorcroft hasn’t covered himself in glory since retirement.

He was sacked from a prominent logistics supply chain company for some disgracefully xenophobic remarks.

Pretty well known in AFL circles and I doubt Toyota would want to put their name alongside his.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 523260

Quoting an old post but why not.

That Tarrant mark was the second best mark of the last 19 years for me. It just so happened the best was three weeks later. My pick for third best also didn't win mark of the year (Andrew Walker).

I agree that the pack makes them a little more special in general, which is why I give Tarrant the nod over Walker's. But Moorcroft's is untouchable - easily the best mark ever.

Absolute screamer... but I still think Shaun Smith's was better (not biased). Literally standing almost bolt upright on Lyon's shoulders. I doubt there have been many higher than that... his head is a good foot above the padding of the goal post.

There is no way anyone can make the comment of "greatest ever". Most people have limited information and short memories. There are hundreds/thousands of speccies recorded, let alone the many more that were never recorded.
Great mark, yes. No one alive today could judge what's the greatest.

Back in the days when I enjoyed watching footy a lot more than today, it was more exciting game. After his AFL career ended Moorcraft went on to have a great career in other leagues retiring at the end of 2019. Ashley Sampi's towering grab 3 years later was pretty amazing too. Not to mention Nick Reiwodt at the SCG, Jonathan Brown against Hawthorn in 2002.

It is an excellent mark no question.
However it came from a very short kick of only about 20-25 metres.
The difficulty level of a mark increases in proportion with the length of the kick.

The difficulty level is off the charts for this because of how far he has to reach back to grab it.

I 100% disagree with your theory on kick length too. It's a snap from Lucas on his right which you wouldn't anticipate and obscured by an opposition player. He would have only had an instant to pick it up visually and react. Coming in off a long kick back in those days you have time to take in your surroundings, move to the ball without being buffeted by the congestion of the modern game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back