Retired #16: Tayte Pears - Has announced his retirement - 8/9

Remove this Banner Ad

I have little doubt that he would have been a gun defender if given a run at it. However, I am starting to worry that even if he gets his body right he'll have missed too much development over the 20-23 period that is essential.

He will probably be mentally shot too. Not worth trading for a pick over 60. Let him see out his contract and hope for a miracle next year.

Perhaps getting him to lose weight to play as a hard running lead up/defensive forward will help make his body more durable.

As has been stated earlier forwards are getting bigger and we now probably want Hurley to be 3rd tall back.

Don't be ridiculous, plenty of other clubs do the same.... off the top of my head guys like John Butcher, Sean Rusling, Max Bailey, Nathan Vardy, Daniel Menzel, Beau Muston, Ayce Cordy, Shaun Mckernan are the very similar stories. Absolutely rubbish call
These are the guys we're being offered as trades.

See where I'm coming from?

You just put the moss on McKernan.

Tayte had a bucket load of talent but you just can't cover 3-4 years of development when you are a young kid. This story has been a really sour one for me. I still remember just how well he played in his second year but watching him at VFL this year you can see that form is a long long way away. I don't want him traded, I want him at Essendon but I don't have much faith anymore that he will make it back.

Not sure that there is anything to his VFL form other than giving him an alternative avenue into the senior team.

He looked quite good as a forward. If it came down to Pears and Steinberg for a place in the team I'd take Tayte every day of the week.

I still think that he's really a tall flanker who can do the odd job on a tall. Someone like Ben Stratton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please. Pears has at least been able to beat AFL level forwards.
Pears is a shadow of his former self. Steinberg is better right now.

Didn't look like the right sort of match up for Steinberg though.
No. but let's not go there.

Having said that.. I love the love of Steinberg at VFL level.. but I'm not sure he is a lock to make it at AFL level. Gwilt has proven his ability and this year went forward with good effect.

I think next year it will be Fletcher, then Gwilt, then Pears then Steinberg in terms of TRB 'preference' if we need a 3rd tall down back.

No. but let's not go there.

Having said that.. I love the love of Steinberg at VFL level.. but I'm not sure he is a lock to make it at AFL level. Gwilt has proven his ability and this year went forward with good effect.

I think next year it will be Fletcher, then Gwilt, then Pears then Steinberg in terms of TRB 'preference' if we need a 3rd tall down back.

Fear this is the end for Steinberg (out of contract, rookie listed, 3rd in line now) as that 3rd tall defender. As good as he was to get into the seniors.

Fear this is the end for Steinberg (out of contract, rookie listed, 3rd in line now) as that 3rd tall defender. As good as he was to get into the seniors.
In the end.. he has had plenty of time but just never made it click really. Not quite tall enough or fast enough or good enough at AFL level.. got found out badly in that EF. Must have sent shivers down Hirdy's spine..

Or Hird spent the whole 3rd quarter screaming at the TV like the rest of "MAKE A MOVE" and that was the end for Steinberg...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back