Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm coming around to the thinking that he is better suited to half back as he is more likely to see the game in front of him, which seems to suit him more. Not too sure he is a natural in the congestion or 360 degree game that comes with midfield.
Yeah I'm kinda on the fence on this one. He still has the potential to be a great midfielder but he doesn't seem to be making the transition as easily as we'd like.

Having said that, we have a ton of hbf and no one under 30 that can run like he can in the midfield so I'm still leaning slightly that way

I couldn't find the Shaun Atley thread but just wanted to note he has put together a couple of nice games. Excellent one on one and starting to direct play from down back - it's great to see him use his voice out there. If he were at Sydney the media would be all over him re: "slingshot" footy.

Looked good though, nullifying his opponent and bursting out of the backline. I hope to see him gain more opportunities to do similar as the season progresses. He plays well and we look much better.

I should really have explained myself. You know how some players get on the field and nothing seems to phase them? Think Kayne Turner or even (in a run and gun sense) Aaron Mullett. Brad Scott seems to need to persuade Atley to get the ball and run and don't worry if you ever get tackled keep doing it. Atley is possibly the best athlete on the team in terms of strength, agility, speed and fittness, his skill set is at a good level and his ability in a contest on ground level is absolutely outstanding. What's holding him back? It has to be between the ears for me.

I think he is going to have to go in the middle this weekend. Dal Santo is a certainty to miss and Wells is a big chance to miss as well IMO. Ports midfield is pretty good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should really have explained myself. You know how some players get on the field and nothing seems to phase them? Think Kayne Turner or even (in a run and gun sense) Aaron Mullett. Brad Scott seems to need to persuade Atley to get the ball and run and don't worry if you ever get tackled keep doing it. Atley is possibly the best athlete on the team in terms of strength, agility, speed and fittness, his skill set is at a good level and his ability in a contest on ground level is absolutely outstanding. What's holding him back? It has to be between the ears for me.

He's only 22 and instead of throwing him to the wolves in the middle of the ground when he was younger we sent him down back and made him develop a (in my opinion exceptionally solid) defensive game. Now he's transitioning to playing more on the wing and around the packs. Personally I've seen enough glimpses to think he will make it as a midfielder/wingman, but it will probably take some time before he starts to really take it by the throat and is given the role on a more full time basis.

Im struggling with the hype tbh.

I always expect him to burn everyone off and deliver a bullet to a leading player because of what I've been conditioned to expect.

But he always almost gets caught, or corralled, and almost always turns it over.

I don't have no hope for him, I like what he tries to do. But I'm a bit frustrated that it never seems to work.

I really like him. Lacks a bit of confidence though, you can see it when he kicks the ball he seems so tense. If he can get his head right, could absolutely kill teams.

Who doesn't like him?

He arguably has more potential than anyone on our list.

Needs to get his hands on the footy and start having 25+ disposal games. I can't see it happening the midfield so it's time he goes back.

Similar to McDonald, has a habit of turning it over when kicking into the F50, a couple of shocking deliveries in the first half tonight.

Still has the capacity to become a belting player though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back