Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Bellchambers seemed to be moving fairly well at training on Thursday, seems positive also :) Can't wait for him to come back!

35n0u8w.jpg

No doubt that TBC will be st8 back in the team when fit.. he is vital to our long term success..

JD can 'pinch hit' in the ruck.. but we will need him for the whole season up forward.. don't want him wasting petrol tickets rucking.. also higher risk of injury to his still undersize body.

TBell would also take the key tall defender, leaving JD to take the 2nd defender (Carlisle will get the 3rd)..

Yes Ambrose had a good start.. but TBell is twice the player he is right now.. and we will need some ruck depth.

TBell kicked nearly 30 goals last season.. so very effective up forward too..

Thats nice but post is useless without saying why.
He somehow thinks that despite being our best performed KPF that he's not in our best side

I fear that the quest to play T-Bell may derail our season.

Are you serious? Considering our list it was considered an almost disaster having him missing, as well as Dempsey's run off half back.

.... Anyhow to the question about who gets dropped.

Personally I would play Bellchambers as number 1 ruck and have Ryder playing more up forward. Ryder has the pace not to be caught out and Ambrose has the running power to not be a liability, in fact quite the opposite.

Ambrose Daniher Winderlich
Chapman Carlise Ryder

Will be a fine forward line.

Thats just damn ridiculous. One of the best ruckmen in the league? If you want to play just one ruck Tbell ahead of Ryder anyway but I think they are both versatile enough for a 2 ruck system.

The best 22 is not the best 22 players. Team balance is everything.

One thing people are that we have traditionally played 3 talls in the forward line - Last year it was Hurley/Crameri and Ryder/TBell. Now we have added JD to the equation, swapped Hurley and Carlisle and have Ambrose play the Crameri role. It will be JD who keeps T-Bell out of the team. And T-Bell will play when JD or Ryder don't play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't run your million dollar stallion on the West Wyalong cup... and you don't put your (potentially) best key forward in the ruck if you can avoid it...

Still far too skinny to be playing serious ruck minutes.. plus TBell is a good ruckmen and good forward..

I feel like some people have short memories and attention spans.. there is simply no way you would have Ambrose ahead of TBell at this stage...

One thing people are that we have traditionally played 3 talls in the forward line - Last year it was Hurley/Crameri and Ryder/TBell. Now we have added JD to the equation, swapped Hurley and Carlisle and have Ambrose play the Crameri role. It will be JD who keeps T-Bell out of the team. And T-Bell will play when JD or Ryder don't play.

No Ambrose is a lead up player. Last year Hawthorn played Bailey in the ruck with Hale, Roughead, Franklin and Gunston up forward. I reckon they went all right last year! Carlise is a great set of hands and Daniher is more mobile.

Like I said earlier:

Ambrose Daniher Winderlich
Chapman Carlise Ryder

Is a very mobile forward line. However, the team looks very good with Ryder on the ball because his pace makes up for the fact that our inside mids are pretty slow. So when Ryder plays on the ball a forward line like:

Ambrose Daniher Chapman
Winderlich Carlise Bellchambers

Would work well with Daniher pushing up a bit, he's alright up the wings, Ambrose as the lead up players that hands back to the midfield and Chapman adding a level of class just forward of the midfield. Then Carlisle and Bellchambers can spread the to KPDs and Winderlich's pace will be great leading from the square/pocket.

We then have a ruck combination that can match it with anyone. Watson, Hocking, Howlett, Goddard, Myers and Heppell can win plenty of ball inside the pack, North have been sensational in there lately and we smashed them, and with Dempsey returning we have lots of run from him and Hibberd out of the backline, Hurley and Fletcher's kicking is also very good and we showed how well we can hold onto the ball against North too. So with Bellchambers and Carlisle deep, kicking long will be very damaging too. Winderlich's pace and smarts leading up will further spread the defence in a smart play. Daniher will provide an option leading from 50 and Ambrose will work hard up the ground to provide options out of the backline AND provide great defensive pressure.

Yes you could do that, but I'd like to keep developing Pears. It would be great if he came good again, however, getting games into him should increase his trade value and if we were able to get another dangerous forward, I'd prefer a small one, and Ambrose had another year's development then we could afford to play Carlisle back. If that was the case I'd play Hurley as the third tall with Hooker taking the second tall. His marking from opposition kicks was once again fantastic against North. Hopefully he can maintain that for the whole season. It was key to us in the first half of last year.

I think if Ambrose does enough we could have the perfect set-up in our back line once Fletch retires (I say it every year but this is his last, surely?). He looks to me like a much more aerobically fit Crameri, but maybe without the explosiveness of him. Good dukes, but haven't seen his goalkicking. Hopefully better than Mr. FTB (flat track bully)

You don't run your million dollar stallion on the West Wyalong cup... and you don't put your (potentially) best key forward in the ruck if you can avoid it...

Still far too skinny to be playing serious ruck minutes.. plus TBell is a good ruckmen and good forward..

I feel like some people have short memories and attention spans.. there is simply no way you would have Ambrose ahead of TBell at this stage...
Bit of a myth this I think....the days of Jeff White, McKernan etc jumping into people of 30 yard run ups and ruckmen doing PCL's every week are gone. Centre bounces are still tough bur JD can actually jump so he'll get over the top of most blokes anyway.

I'd rather go body to body at a throw in or ball-up than prop in front of a pack with a bunch of blokes jumping into my kidneys and trying to know my head off to spoil the ball...

Having now seen and been surprised by how much running Jake and JD do up the ground and back I'm more confident than I was before that TBC can play with these two. Not as vastly different to the Hawthorn set-up as I would have said a week ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back