2002 Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie_Roo

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've just done a quick analysis of our draw next year, and I think it is fairly positive for the club.

* Out of the teams that made the finals this year, Haw is the only top 4 team that we play twice. The others are Syd, Carl, & Port.

* All 4 Canberra home games are against interstate teams, where the guaranteed income is ie: whoever turns up is an extra bonus.

* We have 3 games at the MCG

* Play 10 night games (7 of which are on a Sat night); 12 day games (5 of which are of a Sun)

* 1st 4 games are all of a Sat night.

* We play 4 home games against 4 of the so called big 5.

My only real concern is for the Canberra fans, as the only decent game they may see next year is the Adelaide game, unless of course both WA teams pick up dramatically.

Anybody else have any thoughts about our draw??

In terms of making the finals we don't have to much to complain about in meeting these twice.

Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Geelong
Sydney
Carlton
Hawthorn
West Coast

It is also a reasonable start to the year in that we should win at least 4 of them.

I was initially a little annoyed that we didn't get any Friday night games but personally it suits.
3 games in Canberra against interstate clubs and 4 home games against the delusional's. Overall I am happy with it.

Hopefully the club can come to the fore and give me an 11 game Melbourne membership.

The draw is a FARCE!!!!!

The Kangas 2002 draw is a JOKE!!!!!

* a TOTAL of THREE games at the MCG, including a WHOPPING one home game (funny, I thought the MCG was our home ground)
* a home game at Optus Oval (is this our home ground? if not, why do we have to play there just because the AFL want to lick Carlton's arse and help save Colonial at the same time? Why's that ANY OTHER club's problem?)
* No less than EIGHT games outside of Melbourne (4 by our own choice)
* a TOTAL of THREE Friday night games, one of which is a home game. (didn't we INVENT Friday night football?)
* we play 13 of a possible 16 games against the teams that finished 1-8 this season
* despite only playing each of the bottom 4 teams ONCE this season (the ONLY team who did, mind you), the only teams we play twice next season from this season's bottom 6 are Geelong and West Coast (no 2nd game v Freo, Melb or St.K)

So, to put this into prespective for you, whilst other clubs got potentially up to 24 premiership points against the bottom 3 teams, we got a total of 12....season 2001.

Next year, it will be a not much improved scenario and we'll all sit back and congratulate teams on making the finals again, whilst the experts sit back and ponder the future of the 'other' Melbourne based clubs. They won't for a minute be thinking that the draw might have something to do with it.

The draw is a farce, and nothing less. I hope the club is suitably annoyed.

Hmmmm.......not happy about only having 3 games at the MCG and 3 games on Friday night and the game at Princess Park. Happy that our Canberra games are against non-Victorian sides.

Not too fussed about our return games against Port, Bulldogs, Geelong etc.

Hard to tell whether it's good for us as fans or not until we see the membership packages.

People count your blessings.
3 games at the G.

Apparently the Crows don't even have one game at The G.:D :D

Can you here the whinging and whining over there yet?

This is fantastic news from where I sit.

There is nothing better than laughing at a whining Crows supporter.

Originally posted by Shinboners
Hmmmm.......not happy about only having 3 games at the MCG and 3 games on Friday night and the game at Princess Park. Happy that our Canberra games are against non-Victorian sides.

Not too fussed about our return games against Port, Bulldogs, Geelong etc.

Hard to tell whether it's good for us as fans or not until we see the membership packages.

Shinners,

I know a lot of people on this board ,probably yourself included are Pagan Patron members etc...

But the value of a membership package is probably more relevant to what level of membership we can individually afford..

We shell out on a family captains club /junior roo membership and do not get to half as many games as we would like.In economic terms to my family , we would be better off with an Aussie Roos 4 game thingo and a seperate junior roo for the little bloke.

But we feel a Family membership is the best way that we can support The Roos , even if we dont get there as often as we would like and at least contribute some $$$$.

Armchair members (without game day entry) are also important to the Club but have not been included in AFL official membership numbers.

More Saturday / Sunday games would suit me personally as it is hard to organise a road trip for a Friday night game with work commitments and the like.

Just a different spin from a non Melbourne based member.

Cororoo

It is a very valid point you make.

While it's slightly different from your situation, that is, paying for a Roos membership that you won't get much use out of EXCEPT for the knowledge that you're helping the club financially, I've decided to give up my AFL membership, and instead, will use the money either to upgrade to a Pagans Platnium or get a second Pagans Patron. Firstly, I'm no longer getting any use out of my AFL membership (I used it only once or twice last season) and secondly, I may as well have all my money going to North Melbourne instead of just a portion of it.

Re: The draw is a FARCE!!!!!

Originally posted by SoggyBoy
The Kangas 2002 draw is a JOKE!!!!!

* a TOTAL of THREE Friday night games, one of which is a home game. (didn't we INVENT Friday night football?)

I personally love Friday night football, and am a little annoyed that we were the club that took a gamble on Friday nights and made it what it is today, and yet receive no compensation.

Given that all the Blockbuster games are held on a Friday night, we should be paid some type of compensation for taking the risk, kind of like a copyright thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back