Autopsy We are Jacks complete lack of surprise - demolished after quarter time by Melbourne - the end draws ever closer

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey Scott absolute stands out as a FiT player vs the rest of our team and shows what the difference between being fit and unfit is.

If he was as fit as our other players we would all say he’s a potato.
But he’s out top 3 because he had a great tank and is forever chasing, providing option, is a link man and doesn’t stop.

Genuinely 80% of our problems are fitness related. You could have the worlds greatest masterminds and gameplans in place and bring over bontempelli and Curnow and we would still be absolute puss because we cannot run and chase for more than 40 minutes a game.

Once that happens no one provides options, no one can chase more than one or two efforts and then the bottom 6 unfittest just let the game play fall apart.
We then resort to chip and kick down the line because the other team is all over us and we can’t get out of our own way.

Honestly need to throw the sink at burgess in the off season.
We have too many s**t decision makers or those who choke under pretty basic pressure: Taylor, Stephenson and Tucker were horrible. PC was terrible and has had too many games like this this year - willing to give him a pass as he's only in his second year but he needs to get serious over the preseason. RHJ also wasn't great but it's his 2nd game so hopefully, like PC, he's better with an AFL preseason under his belt.

Apart from that, we are just not fit or strong enough or willing to work for one another. I would actually argue that the issue of poor decision making and not working for one another is a large part due to a lack of fitness. It is much harder to make good decisions when you're absolutely spent. Don't get me wrong - I feel like we have some poor decision makers on our team, but their issues are even more obvious with a lack of fitness. We have been smashed by injury this year so there's a sense in which that impacts your fitness level, but I don't think the base was good to begin with entering the season.

On the bright side, I reckon we had 15 AFL quality players out there who can contribute in a meaningful way for at least the next few years. We just need to get fitter and remove the continual poor ball users out of our best 22.

Back to back posts that nail it.

Fitness has been an issue for nearly a decade now! The Bailey Scott reference is spot on (hell, I even just give Taylor a pass for the same reason).

s**t decision makers pretty much everywhere. I was watching Tom Stewart closely on Saturday night. What we would give for someone like him! He didn't play today, but Miller Bergman showed earlier this season that he may be close to the best we have (which is both promising & very sad at the same time).

PC. Please find someone that can teach him to tackle properly.

Strong enough. CCJ didn't play today, but he's a prime example of a big fella who just isn't strong enough, while WillPhill clearly got knocked off the ball too easily today (hopefully more fitness related).

Willing to work for one another. Yep, for what is supposed to be such a close-knit group, this is disappointing... but again probably relates back to fitness.

Yep - the serial self titled 'positive' posters on here - who speak absolute dribble on a weekly basis and are still doing it 4 years on! If we had anything like 1/100 of their so called positive comments come to fruition we wouldn't have lost 18 in a row and be the basket case we are.

But of course the 'must find positives' crap continues to spew out - always oblivious to our actual performance over the past 4 years.

As you say these posters are just losers who are happy losing and there will always be plenty of these campaigners in life and they are best avoided.
How much fun must this bloke be at parties?

It's more a case of looking at why we haven't won for 4 months. The number one reason is there's a level of fitness you need - a threshold - to allow you to cause an upset. You can't fluke fitness. If you don't have it, the opposition will always overrun you and find it easy to score.

But if you do reach a certain fitness threshold, even if it's not that high, you'll fluke a few wins when the opposition has a bad day and your skills etc are better than they normally are. But our fitness is so so low, that we can't even fluke a win.
I've made myself blue in the face trying to convey this point and you've made it more succinctly than I ever could. Good s**t.

This is also why the situation is fixable, but if we start seeing the same patterns emerge next year, I'm genuinely going to have to step away from the sport. I can't take another 20 loss year

Not much to say about the game that hasn’t already been said but the umpiring deserves special mention. And it’s the same most weeks. Something has to be done. Either we write a letter to the AFL or Clarko takes the fine and dares to mention it post game but we need to bring this issue to the public forum. This would ensure the umpires go into our games knowing there is focus on it.

The way we get absolutely molested by the umpires most weeks just makes me sick.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I heard that and thought it was a cop out. Saying they spent 5% more on game plan and so 5% less on fitness.

They're not mutually exclusive. Do both. About half of the players on our list aren't AFL fit . Fix it so we don't lose every game for 4 months next year too.
Fair enough. Was just pointing out that the club is aware of it as an issue.
I personally think fitness takes a couple of big preseasons to build in a squad. Demons and Crows had big jumps after two years under Burgess.
I also don't think we have players with good athletic profiles (speed, aerobic capacity etc.) from previous drafts either.
Today it was pretty obvious how fit and strong the Dees were. 8-10 year players like Brayshaw just manhandled Will Phillips.

23 touches, 10 clearances, 8 tackles, 7 inside 50s and what should have been a ripper goal is a fair game from someone disinterested.

I thought so too. I’ve been really impressed with him since he’s returned, his attitude seems to absolutely be where it needs to be. Seems to be in the thick of it quite often.

Very impressed with all of that considering I’d pigeon-holed him as a silky outside runner with a poor attitude that might never change.

Perhaps my expectation/benchmark is pretty low, but he’s been a highlight in a poor year for mine.

Glad fitness is being highlighted on here. To add to it, a fitter team can even overcome bad structure and skills by wearing the opposition down. Fitness is the number 1 attribute needed to become a competitive team. Sure skills and structures will get you to the upper echelon but right now it's a cherry and we're without the whole sundae anyway.

I was concerned with Viney's comments (who's done a well overall dgmw) on the member QnA that they prioristised the game plan over fitness. First way to see how committed and willing a player is their ability to simply put in the hard yards. Teach those that come out the other side the game plan.

When we're red-hot, we look great. The ball is moving with purpose and getting on the outside with lots of space to exploit. We get 1v1s inside 50 and suddenly the opposition cannot zone or intercept. It's game on.

When we halt how an elite team should play, we're dreadful. We don't overlap, don't release players, don't look for options or attempt to spread across the ground and lastly, we don't pressure. Everything becomes half-arsed and '* it leave it to the other blokes to win it back'. It's not good enough. To twist the knife a little bit more to us supporters, we start doing the dumb s**t kicks down the line to Larkey with three blokes on him hoping we get a stoppage.

Everyone is talking about fitness and there may be some truth to it, but my issue is we succumb very easily to an uplift in pressure. The minute we are on the back foot, you can expect us to concede a few goals in red time and in the following next 30 mins until the game is dead. That's disgraceful but is it unexpected? No. That's the depressing and heartbreaking part.

Until the players collectively have a strong word to each other about standards and what is required to turn this team into success, we are not going anywhere. No draft pick, assistance, or mature-age recruits can change what is currently a very mentally fragile team with limited footballers and a weak leadership group. You look at Wardlaw and then you look at Lmac. If you just look at their video tapes this season without looking at their profiles, you'd think one would be captain/leadership material and the other in the delist category.

Leadership enforces standards and expects players to perform above or meet those standards. We've done absolutely nothing to change the environment that we should be fixing so our young talent can flourish. Stability or no stability. There isn't anyone grabbing the bull by the horns and lifting the group to at least be competitive. No one is doing the things that tell us they give a *. No one.

The only blokes that show they do are the 18-20 year olds that are busting their arse because they actually coach themselves. Guys like Sheezel, Wardlaw, Goater, Phillips, etc.

It's embarrassing that our leaders haven't delivered the message to themselves. It's always been about looking at the small wins and processes, but Clarko only saw the spark in the young talent, not our leaders.

We won't beat *Essendon next week as they usually play well when the opposition drops the pressure factor. We're not winning again this year until the group goes into a meeting room and faces reality. * the process, draft picks, trade, mature-age blokes, assistance, and whatever other s**t that gets spat out. This group needs to face how shambolic (especially the leaders) have been. Clarkson needs to see something from the blokes with experience as well. Not just the young talent.
I agree with most of this, but on an individual level, Ziebell and McDonald probably played their best games of the season yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can somebody message me when we're allowed to say positive things on here again? I might give it a miss until then if that's OK? Seeing the "real" supporters outdoing each other with wailing doesn't really make for very good reading.

Post your number here and I will call you on the final siren at our next Premiership

Post your number here and I will call you on the final siren at our next Premiership
Thanks mate! Appreciate it. But will one flag be enough to compensate for all of the indiscriminate Luke McDonald helicopters out of defence we've had to endure in the last 3 years? Better make it 2.

Daniel Day Lewis Thank You GIF by The Academy Awards
Love that movie

Bailey Scott absolute stands out as a FiT player vs the rest of our team and shows what the difference between being fit and unfit is.

If he was as fit as our other players we would all say he’s a potato.
But he’s out top 3 because he had a great tank and is forever chasing, providing option, is a link man and doesn’t stop.

Genuinely 80% of our problems are fitness related. You could have the worlds greatest masterminds and gameplans in place and bring over bontempelli and Curnow and we would still be absolute puss because we cannot run and chase for more than 40 minutes a game.

Once that happens no one provides options, no one can chase more than one or two efforts and then the bottom 6 unfittest just let the game play fall apart.
We then resort to chip and kick down the line because the other team is all over us and we can’t get out of our own way.

Honestly need to throw the sink at burgess in the off season.
Even contemplate pulling the cobwebs off Neil Craig. :poo:o_OYes, I'm reaching, but they'd be bloody fit.

Wouldn't mind seeing Sheez and Stevo swap playing positions. Stevo was pretty good off half back last year and means Sheez can go forward and provide some goalscoring class and defensive grunt up there.
Surprised it hasn't happened more than once. When they did try it, it paid instant dividend's.

I've got it! I've got the solution. Wait here me out.

Since we're travelling better off field than on, we pressure the AFL to adopt 30 minute games.

More games, more revenue, an even fixture and importantly for us more W's. Also a plan that has more chance of happening than this team playing four quarters of footy. Let's go Jen!

That's because it's like we're someone ranked 500th in the world for running over 10,000 metres but we're allowed to compete against runners ranked in the top 20 or so week in week out, head to head.

We have zero chance of winning a race. We've never run a time close to the times of the top 20 runners. That's mainly because we never work hard enough in our off season, even though we delusionally think we do. Our opposition, on the other hand, prepare like professional athletes.

We sometimes fly out and are winning after 100 metres and even 4km. But then there's nothing more predictable in life than our opposition cruising past an exhausted us ... even if they've fallen over 10 times and have chronic diahorrea. There is one other runner ranked 520 but we recently found out we're even lazier than them.

Until we actually do something about our off season training, we will never win a race against these other runners. There never can be an upset. But we do get paid very well, attend a day care centre for adults most of the year and summer holiday camp where we mainly stuff around.
So basically like Eric 'The Eel' Moussambani who competed in the 100m Freestyle at the 2000 Olympics and swam a 2min race.

Let's hope we can have the upward trajectory he did, when he shaved a minute off that time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back