Autopsy We are Jacks complete lack of surprise - demolished after quarter time by Melbourne - the end draws ever closer

Remove this Banner Ad

As Viney in Q&A said the club prioritised the gameplan education. Fitness will be a big thing this offseason for sure.
On a few occassions todays Clarko looked like he was swapping players around to see how they would perform on other players. Pickett had 3 different players on him at stages ( Archer, Tucker, Ziebell and Goater) during the game but ended up with Archer back on him...Petracca was being well held by McDonald but l think either Tucker or Corr went to him at 1 stage before he got dangerous..So no doubt Clarko wants to see how players play...

By AAP with Sophie Welsh

afl.com.au

Retiring Kangaroos veteran Jack Ziebell, who hadn't featured in the AFL since round eight, notched a team-high 32 disposals.

They don't know what's going on but still have a job.
That's just embarrassing.

As usual we were poor when the opposition decided to start playing.
Our tackling is awful, even when we lay them there are few players that make them count.
Am looking forward to the delistings and trade season. Trade and delist whoever- there is lucky to be 6 or 7 untouchables in the current team.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Most years teams have 4-5 certain delistings and then a handful of borderline decisions.
Such is the majesty of our list management that we have 20 blokes that could fill the first list.
Incredible.

Don't understate the fact that Melbourne never really put the foot down. They kind of just went on with it like they knew they were obliged to do. Could've been ten goals
WOW! You're a real negative campaigner aren't you, why can't you be a little bit happy about our performance today instead of shitting on other people's optimism.

WOW! You're a real negative campaigner aren't you, why can't you be a little bit happy about our performance today instead of shitting on other people's optimism.
What is the point of optimism mate, when we can be up 41-9 and fans of the club can still feel deadset certain that we'd lose. We could choke a fifty point lead in a couple of quarters. A quarter and a half even

Last edited:
  • TT may be frustrating without the ball but together with LDU, is our most impactful mid. He is actually a more defensive-minded player than LDU and a better tackler so needs a big off-season to take the big step.
  • Xerri won't make it as a number 1 ruck, Tucker tries and has some skill but no where near enough, same as Taylor, Turner is done;
  • Larkey does one good thing for every 2 poor things. Amazing how well he performs with such obvious flaws;
  • Goater will be a player but still think it is not in the back half.
  • Our forward structure should be focused on mid sized forwards, once we tried to play to a larger forward line we looked worse;
  • Scott is playing really well, even though he will never quite be an A grader;
  • Philips had some nice moments but was pushed off the ball way too easily for a player who should have a low centre of gravity. Also his intensity chasing a ball down needs to be corrected, he isn't playing U18 anymore;
  • Curtis and Hansen Jnr were non-entities which made the effort up forward a little more impactful;
Overall, some positives but the sheer amount of players who shouldn't be playing the first is telling. Wardlaw with Simpkin, TT and LDU should be something special.

By AAP with Sophie Welsh

afl.com.au

Retiring Kangaroos veteran Jack Ziebell, who hadn't featured in the AFL since round eight, notched a team-high 32 disposals.

Got him confused with Cunners

Positives….l saw a game plan…we were competitive…for awhile….
It wasn’t a belting…I’ll take that any day from a team expected to go deep in the finals.
Negative….just keep the Half time siren silent….we switch off or run out of legs…but to be expected.
The season end is in sight…and there will be a sizeable broom applied..
No point in screaming at the walls… l look forward to the off season as this one has been taxing on the Sanity….
on to next week….may we please break some opposition legs in the process.

The off-season will be far more enjoyable than the season was. At least we can't lose, and there is some hope for the future.

During the season, neither of those things apply.

homer-the-simpsons.gif

It's the inevitability that kills you. Once teams get a couple of goals in a row, we're done for the day.

Turning around that defeatist mentality even when 5 goals up is going to take years

I really hope LDU sees some success soon.
When Paddy Dow is closer to playing Finals than LDU...

365253853_1745025139250611_5923691676041416226_n.jpg

I’ve been reasonably optimistic even though the last few years have been crapola, but anytime we have a lead everyone in Australia knows we will lose.

W W L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L

Will do that to you unfortunately..

Anyone who has TT in the Poor is not to be taken seriously. How you have Philips ahead of him is bewildering.
I watched the game.

Phillips made his presence felt.
Thomas seemed disinterested and fumbly for most of the game.

You are free to have a different opinion.

As Viney in Q&A said the club prioritised the gameplan education. Fitness will be a big thing this offseason for sure.
Yeah I heard that and thought it was a cop out. Saying they spent 5% more on game plan and so 5% less on fitness.

They're not mutually exclusive. Do both. About half of the players on our list aren't AFL fit . Fix it so we don't lose every game for 4 months next year too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I heard that and thought it was a cop out. Saying they spent 5% more on game plan and so 5% less on fitness.

They're not mutually exclusive. Do both. About half of the players on our list aren't AFL fit . Fix it so we don't lose every game for 4 months next year too.
Yep.

Baseless rhetoric.

As you say, you can do both.

It hurts that many of our better players have glaring weaknesses:

LDU's kicking is very hit and miss; his goal kicking on the run is inevitably miss.

Scott's kicking is average at best, and he often makes poor, sometimes inexplicable decisions.

Larkey makes half-arsed efforts and has weak hands. Aim your righteous umpire frustration at the ball, please Nick.

etc

Broken record time:

Multiple North players sucked into a 1-on-1 contest; ball comes out and away they go. On occasion spare Melb players ran away from the contest, past an onrushing, unthinking North player, to set up 15m away and receive the inevitable handball.

Opponents on the run giving a handball and then running past 2 or 3 North players to receive again.

The weak tackling; like many of our failings, is the result of fatigue? We must get fitter.

Positives:

Great first quarter. Felt good to be young again.

Eddie Ford. The strut. The pistol. Felt good to be young again. ;)

Clarko back in the saddle. I just hope he can maintain the passion.

Negatives:

Being trolled by the maggots. Is there a directive to comms not to criticise? The comp is riddled with unfair advantages.

Right now. I'm taking away the fact its small steps. Not as fast as we like, but it is happening. The young kids are really good.
We are just putting the games into the kids of the future. When they hit their 5 year mark together we will be flying. Just have to retain the talent. We will still be high in the draft, the hardest part will be finding the right stable reliable mature / older players to surround them.

Also how was TT goal a free against.
Absolute corrupt decision
Yeah.

Reckon touched anyway but that was a decision that any other player gets away with.

When we're red-hot, we look great. The ball is moving with purpose and getting on the outside with lots of space to exploit. We get 1v1s inside 50 and suddenly the opposition cannot zone or intercept. It's game on.

When we halt how an elite team should play, we're dreadful. We don't overlap, don't release players, don't look for options or attempt to spread across the ground and lastly, we don't pressure. Everything becomes half-arsed and '* it leave it to the other blokes to win it back'. It's not good enough. To twist the knife a little bit more to us supporters, we start doing the dumb s**t kicks down the line to Larkey with three blokes on him hoping we get a stoppage.

Everyone is talking about fitness and there may be some truth to it, but my issue is we succumb very easily to an uplift in pressure. The minute we are on the back foot, you can expect us to concede a few goals in red time and in the following next 30 mins until the game is dead. That's disgraceful but is it unexpected? No. That's the depressing and heartbreaking part.

Until the players collectively have a strong word to each other about standards and what is required to turn this team into success, we are not going anywhere. No draft pick, assistance, or mature-age recruits can change what is currently a very mentally fragile team with limited footballers and a weak leadership group. You look at Wardlaw and then you look at Lmac. If you just look at their video tapes this season without looking at their profiles, you'd think one would be captain/leadership material and the other in the delist category.

Leadership enforces standards and expects players to perform above or meet those standards. We've done absolutely nothing to change the environment that we should be fixing so our young talent can flourish. Stability or no stability. There isn't anyone grabbing the bull by the horns and lifting the group to at least be competitive. No one is doing the things that tell us they give a *. No one.

The only blokes that show they do are the 18-20 year olds that are busting their arse because they actually coach themselves. Guys like Sheezel, Wardlaw, Goater, Phillips, etc.

It's embarrassing that our leaders haven't delivered the message to themselves. It's always been about looking at the small wins and processes, but Clarko only saw the spark in the young talent, not our leaders.

We won't beat *Essendon next week as they usually play well when the opposition drops the pressure factor. We're not winning again this year until the group goes into a meeting room and faces reality. * the process, draft picks, trade, mature-age blokes, assistance, and whatever other s**t that gets spat out. This group needs to face how shambolic (especially the leaders) have been. Clarkson needs to see something from the blokes with experience as well. Not just the young talent.

I thought a much better and cohesive effort. Weak links began to show once Melbourne put some effort into things, Tucker had an absolute shocker.

I did notice our remaining 3 games are all in the bottom 6-7 teams. We should be setting ourselves to have an impact and pinch a win at a minimum out of the end of the season.

I thought a much better and cohesive effort. Weak links began to show once Melbourne put some effort into things, Tucker had an absolute shocker.

I did notice our remaining 3 games are all in the bottom 6-7 teams. We should be setting ourselves to have an impact and pinch a win at a minimum out of the end of the season.
Ending *’s season next week would be glorious.

I feel better now. They need to feel encouraged by how well it can go when the pressure is high and they execute the plan well. I hope they do feel that and it gives them something to build on. I’m also pleased that they came out with such good intent and mostly execution - usually when games turn out not so bad this year it’s because we got over a poor start and reduced the margin of the inevitable loss.

A ten goal turnaround since last time and no-one broke a leg - more things to be pleased about.

By AAP with Sophie Welsh

afl.com.au

Do you think Sophie might have got that from ChatGPT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back