Remove this Banner Ad

dees_best

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2003
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Demons/Liverpool/Victory
When I was browsing through the other clubs boards I came across quite a good prediction thread made by my mate Xie in the Bulldogs board. So here's the Melbourne version of it.

Someone bookmark this so once the season finishes we can see how good/bad our predictions were.

Wins: 16 (after home and away season)
Ladder position: 4th
Most goals: David Neitz
Most marks: Brad Miller
Most disposals: Adem Yze
Most tackles: Brent Moloney

Name the most improved players in 2005 or players who will come on in leaps and bounds: Brent Moloney, Colin Sylvia, Daniel Bell, Brock McLean, Paul Johnson (if he can take Holland's place early then he could really add a new dimension to our forward line), Mark Jamar (depends if he gets decent gametime).

It's time to say good bye to: Russell Robertson, Chris Heffernan, (trade bait) Guy Rigoni(ret), Luke Williams, Nathan Carroll, Cameron Hunter, Matthew Warnock (all delisted).

Will Brad Miller add goal kicking to his repituore? I'm confident he will. Although he spent quite a lot of time up the ground last season I think the three tall forwards will rotate from time to time, giving Brad more scoring opportunities. Expect to see Brad end up with around 30 goals at the end of the home and away season.

How will Aaron Davey cope with increased pressure? Quite well I believe. Over the pre season he has added bulk and has not lost a yard of pace. After an excellent performance for the All Stars the signs look good.

Who will gain All-Australian selection in 2005? I think Jeff White and Cameron Bruce. I'm tipping Jared Rivers to go very very close (I could almost put him in with White, Brown and Bruce but I first wish to see him play a few games this year and see how he copes with the opposition knowing his style of play. Nathan Brown and Adem Yze will also be thereabouts.

Would it be all that surprising if we made the last day in September? Definately not out of the question although I'd be surprised if me made it this year. 2006 seems about right IMO. With that being said look what happened in 2000 and its fair to say we have a much better squad now. If we manage to make a prelim final and it was at the MCG, I would give us every chance of making the grand final.

Will Travis Johnstone get his ar$e into gear or does another season of underachievement loom? To be honest I think TJ is in for not necessarily a huge season but at least a consistent one. He has had an injury free pre season which is something of a rarety for him as in the past he has constantly managed to get little niggles coming into the new season. If he can keep fit then our side is much more dangerous as he is one of the few gamebreakers that our club possesses.

The top 10 in the club's B&F:

1) Jeff White
2) Cameron Bruce
3) Brad Miller
4) Nathan Brown
5) David Neitz
6) Travis Johnstone
7) Brent Moloney
8) Brad Green
9) Matthew Whelan
10) Aaron Davey

Melbourne's best side:

B: M.Whelan - A.Nicholson - C.Bizzell
HB: N.Brown - J.Rivers - P.Wheatley
C: B.Green - B.Moloney - T.Johnstone
HF: A.Yze - B.Miller - R.Robertson
F: A.Davey - D.Neitz - P.Johnson
R: J.White - C.Sylvia - C.Bruce
I: M.Jamar - J.McDonald - D.Bell - B.McLean
E: P.Read - R.Ferguson - S.Armstrong

dees_best said:
Melbourne's best side:

B: M.Whelan - A.Nicholson - C.Bizzell
HB: N.Brown - J.Rivers - P.Wheatley
C: B.Green - B.Moloney - T.Johnstone
HF: A.Yze - B.Miller - R.Robertson
F: A.Davey - D.Neitz - P.Johnson
R: J.White - C.Sylvia - C.Bruce
I: M.Jamar - J.McDonald - D.Bell - B.McLean
E: P.Read - R.Ferguson - S.Armstrong

it all seems about right but if travis doesnt have a good year this year we got the juicest trade bait in the comp. Miller will not kick that many goals he is fit he leads out to far to get close unless he changes his plan he wont paul johnson wil kick those goals not him. Sylvia mite not play such an important role in the team doubtfull starting on in our best team

God what a task. I was just going to come in, make a position prediction and run.

Wins: 13
Ladder position: 7th
Most goals: David Neitz (agreed)
Most marks: Brad Miller (agreed)
Most disposals: Adem Yze
Most tackles: Brock McLean

Name the most improved players in 2005 or players who will come on in leaps and bounds: Nick Smith, Moloney, Sylvia, McLean

It's time to say good bye to: Carroll, Hunter, Williams, Rigoni to start with. More to be added. Make me an offer for Johnstone.

Will Brad Miller add goal kicking to his repituore? Started to look better as the season went on. I'd hope so.

How will Aaron Davey cope with increased pressure? Injury issues aside it's clear that his 2nd half of the season didn't match the first. I'd like to see him chanced in the midfield.

Who will gain All-Australian selection in 2005? White and Rivers would be the best chance.

Would it be all that surprising if we made the last day in September? I don't even entertain the prospect of such a thing.

Will Travis Johnstone get his ar$e into gear or does another season of underachievement loom? A couple of good games, an injury crisis, some games where he goes missing and a lengthy trade saga at the end of the season.

The top 10 in the club's B&F:

1) Bruce
2) White
3) Yze
4) Rivers
5) Moloney

But then again these things are always completely farcical.

Melbourne's best side: I'm not even trying...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back