Review 2006 Premiership "Arrogance"

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm partway through Ben's book at the moment. Where's the spoiler alerts?? :p:D

That Eagles team was built on the stellar midfield four Cox, Kerr, Cousins and Judd. The backline was well drilled and the forwards were the achilles heel. If those 4 could have been kept fit and on the park we would have been there abouts for a few more season. To say we could have been a dynasty is probably a stretch though, there is just way too much to chance to guarantee winning grand finals.

You look back at teams like Geelong in the late 80's early 90's. It seems ridiculous that they came up with zero for the quality and dominance they had during that period. I try not to get too worked up about the coulda/woulda/shoulda of the Judd era as 1 premiership in the bank isn't really to be scoffed at all things considered.

We had the team to do it in 2005-2007 for 3 flags but injury's and off field dramas cost us that. Lets say we entered 2008 with Judd leaving and we still got Masten, JK and Scooter ect. Also Cousins sorting out his dramas and sticking around for another 2-3 years.

This could have been the team entering 2008:

Wirra Glass Brown
Hurn Hunter Waters

Embley Priddis Braun

Fletcher JK Stenglien
Lecra Lynch Armstrong

Ruck: Cox, Kerr, Cuz

Bench: A Selwood, Seaby, Butler, Rosa

That team would still be pretty good with players like JK,Brown,Lecra,Rosa & Hurn adding some youth to the squads with other players like Mckenzie, Scooter, Masten & Schofield as players they try out through the year to replace some of the older guys who might perform.

I don't know about West Coast fans but now the era is done and dusted and other than a few exceptions most of the players from the 2005 and 2006 are gone now that I can say that 1 grand final win each in 05 and 06 seems fair. Both teams were so evenly matched during that era that it would almost be unfair if one team had 2 grand final wins and the other had 0.

Jesus, the guy is lucky to have come out without many more OD's than was what reported.
I always found it funny in his book he says he only felt like he was OD'ing bad once.
It's hard to OD while smoking ice, which was his drug of choice when he totally went off the rails.

It's hard to OD while smoking ice, which was his drug of choice when he totally went off the rails.
Even being up for days? I thought that would eventually take its toll on the body.
Not that I know much about ice.

You can be up for days in your 20s on ice, a fit young human body is ridiculously resilient
I wouldn't try it in your 40s though .. Don't know if bens still going hard - he's reaching Mainys age though

Even being up for days? I thought that would eventually take its toll on the body.
Not that I know much about ice.

I have acquaintances/drongo ''mates'' that have been up on the gear for 12-15 days straight. they will then sleep for 3-4 days straight. This can go on (not at this extreme but near enough) for years before a 22 y/o body starts to feel it (physically/mentally). But it is one of the hardest drugs on the body (also the mind) that science knows of because of the indirect symptom of sleep deprivation. You stay awake without any drugs for 2 days and you will be hallucinating anyway. Let alone 4-5 days straight on the gear with a resting heart rate of 150 basically doing a marathon up and down your kitchen dribbling s**t. Anyway,

If WCE had of won the 2005 Flag I dare say 2006 would have been a write off instead of 2007. Cousins was already falling apart in early 2006 and I reckon one of the only things keeping him together would be the burning loss of 2005 as Captain. 2005 Cuz vs 2006 Cuz there was a notable difference in his body shape and face. I really hope he is doing well these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have won both 05 and 06. Sydney played a s**t defensive game plan, that and selection cost us the GF IMO.

07 we would have really made a game of it against Geelong without injuries. Both teams at full strength with us coming off a GF win would have really been a cracker. I with admitted bias would have thought we would have won.

The horrible thing about since 07 is the fact we have done pretty much s**t since which means all people do is refer to 06 all the time and THAT midfield.
At least Sydney have more recent success to remember...all we have is THOSE years and THAT midfield could have blah blah.

Time to write a new successful era I hope.

Has anyone read Dean Cox's book. I haven't but i've heard that he talks about all the off field drama of 2005/2007. Is it worth reading?
I've read the Iron Eagle Book. Cox does confirm that at least 12 players were using illicit drugs during that time. No names are named and it's not really juicy enough for my liking. It's enjoyable, but more like a reflection and summary of his career as opposed to a hard hitting autobiography that reveals dirty secrets and names names.

I've read the Iron Eagle Book. Cox does confirm that at least 12 players were using illicit drugs during that time. No names are named and it's not really juicy enough for my liking. It's enjoyable, but more like a reflection and summary of his career as opposed to a hard hitting autobiography that reveals dirty secrets and names names.
Yeh but meh. I'd dare so most footballers have tried a party drug here or there especially after winning a grand final. I hold nothing against that. It's more so when it becomes a problem. I bet it's more than the 12 you're saying.

We should have won both 05 and 06. Sydney played a s**t defensive game plan, that and selection cost us the GF IMO.

07 we would have really made a game of it against Geelong without injuries. Both teams at full strength with us coming off a GF win would have really been a cracker. I with admitted bias would have thought we would have won.

The horrible thing about since 07 is the fact we have done pretty much s**t since which means all people do is refer to 06 all the time and THAT midfield.
At least Sydney have more recent success to remember...all we have is THOSE years and THAT midfield could have blah blah.

Time to write a new successful era I hope.
The horrible thing is Hawks have won 4 AFL flags and 6 since we've been around - double .. And geelong have won 3 since our last
We are losing relevancy every year that passes

So many factors combined for one all mighty clusterf**k.

Phone calls of players ordering/asking for ketamine.
Players that associated with criminals and possibly were witnesses to a crime, who refused to help authorities.
A player that overdosed and nearly died in Vegas while on holiday.
Bolting, swimming and twin brothers.
Broken bones and punch ons.

This lead the AFL to threaten charging us with bringing the game into disrepute.

Draft picks, fines and premiership points were mentioned.

When Cuz was pulled over and the media were all over it from the get go the club panicked and sacked Ben.

Even though nothing was found and Ben was innocent of all charges i might add. I always felt the cops may have been getting back at Ben for incidents years earlier and tipped off the media, anyhow.

This led to,

Chick being moved on with a year left on his contract
Hunter retired early due to injuries but was it perhaps to also do with other things?
West Coast bringing in Peter Worsfold to babysit the list
John Worsfold has stated on numerous occasions that he had to step back from the daily duties of a head coach for a few years to concentrate on other things as well.
The club becoming wary of drafting "characters"

If it wasn't for injuries to Kerr, Cousins and Judd i feel that we would have won it in 07.

Take any premiership teams two best midfielders away and the task becomes nearly impossible. We had three out and then without warning we lost two the very next year. No understudies, no up and comers, there was no planning for it and it rocked us to our core.

Were we arrogant or ignorant?

That will always be the debate, for myself it's somewhere in between.

Why was Kerr kept on when it's know he has had his issues, would have thought if you cleared out the mess he would go too?

Why was Kerr kept on when it's know he has had his issues, would have thought if you cleared out the mess he would go too?

Who knows but that's the point. Without being in the inner sanctum it's hard to say.

Kerr was the young one in the group of those with "issues", perhaps we felt we had an obligation to help him, maybe at that point he was remorseful and his indiscretions weren't as bad as others who were seen as ringleaders, it could also be that we couldn't afford to lose 3 ready made midfielders in 12 months.

I think we made a point and cleaned house of the ringleaders and those who were setting a bad example, we were ruthless in parting with the favourite son just after we'd had our heart ripped out by Judas.

That's the equivalent of Cotchin walking out on you and then having to sack Martin just a few months later.

Now imagine throwing Ellis on the heap as well. How do you see Richmond faring both short and long term?

It's not hard to see why Kerr was kept.

I hope your club never has to face such a crisis.

Last edited:
Ah yeah, that's true.
you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
and it seems kerrs problems a lot of stemmed from issues outside the drug use.

Would Judd have stayed if it was controlled earlier?

Ah yeah, that's true.
you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
and it seems kerrs problems a lot of stemmed from issues outside the drug use.

Would Judd have stayed if it was controlled earlier?

I sincerely doubt it.

Judd stayed as long as he did because he knew we were on the cusp of greatness and he was right.

Sadly for us when we needed him to be the Captain or face of the club the most, he jumped ship.

He was right in a way with West Coasts decline but him leaving accelerated it.

For me personally he was always going to leave and saw that as the time to do so.

I am grateful for what he achieved with us in his short time and that he kept Carlton honest when trading for him but i don't think he was ever Captain material, it was thrust upon him when Cuz was stepped down.

Then to have him be the face of the club with issues?

See you later West Coast.

His tenure at Carlton as Captain was hardly captain material either, elbowing, eye gouging, Fevloa.....etc etc

Another thing with Judd that is never mentioned is how he let the cat out of the bag.

Live press conference to the east, telling clubs he would interview them. Selecting which teams he wanted to speak with. Frankly in retrospect i laughed when supporters had a whinge when Ablett and Buddy left because they were all for Judd leaving West Coast. For years all the herald sun, age and everyone did was stir the pot with article after article of Judd coming home.

Reap what you sow and all that and now the patients have the keys to the asylum.

Still he's the best draft pick we've ever had, what he accomplished in his first 6 years with us hadn't been done before and may not for awhile again.

Premiership Captain
Brownlow medalist
Norm Smith medalist
Australian representative
AA honours
Leigh Matthews MVP.
Best & Fairest.

All in his first 150 games of AFL football.

Then we buggered him and got Kennedy and Masten for a trade.:)

Moral of the story? i dunno. I like to ramble.

Last edited:
Cuz wasn't stepped down due to Judd. It was due to doing a runner from cops.

Keep in mind this happened before any talk of drugs.

No it was a case of VLad warning us publicly that if there were anymore incidents we would be charged.

The only reason we weren't is we complied with the AFL every step of the way.

As soon as the media were showing Cuz shirt off, glasses on and in handcuffs being played on every t.v station across the country we felt i assume that he must have been guilty and had to act quick.

It was due to fear of recourse that we acted so swiftly.

Can hardly blame the club either, the cops in Perth hated us, i personally loved that when they found no evidence whatsoever thus making the arrest nothing more than a farce the Police had the audacity to state that notes Ben had in his wallet had traces on drugs on them. That was their case in the end.

Problem is a fair amount of money in circulation has been found the have "traces" of drugs on them. Case and charges were rightly thrown out.

Also another thing was the AFL suspended Ben for a year based upon him being arrested as it could not be on drugs related incidents as he had never been caught. They also told him he had to enter rehab which was to be overseen by them.

Recreational drugs are a scary thing to sports, no parent wants their child growing up around such a culture.

2007 Round 22 against Essendon must rank as one of the most frustrating win's in our history
44 points up at 3 quarter time, and looking to have secured 2nd spot on the ladder and a home final against Port Adelaide
The bombers kick 8 goals in the last quarter, including 6 or 7 from Scott Lucas and we only win by 8 points
Port Adelaide then beat Fremantle quite easily and overtake us on the ladder, meaning we travel to Adelaide for the final

We then lose the first final in Adelaide by 3 points without Kerr, Cousins and a one legged Judd
Then without Kerr, Judd and Cousins we draw with Collingwood in the semi final, and get over-run in extra time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back