2007, 2009, 2011, 2022 - which flag was most memorable for you

Remove this Banner Ad

1. 2007 because it was the drought breaker and I thought id never see it after the 90s grand final losses.

2. 2022 because it was good to finally win one after 11 years of getting so close and good to get revenge against Sydney for the 05 semi. Gun forwardline compared to the others. And its fresh in the memory

3. 2011 because it was against Collingwood

4. 2009 was living overseas at the time and only got to see the 2nd half of the game. Probably the closest and most enjoyable to watch now though. But felt for St Kilda as they were the best team in 09 just as Geelong were in 08.

I feel like have a strong memory of all four .

All slightly different. All have their particular endearing characteristics.
The kid analogy is alive here. Does anyone really have a favourite kid? I doubt it.

Saw the 1st half of the 92 GF on youtube. Was enjoyable. Probably the only one of those grand finals where Geelong were in control at any stage. Seen 89 plenty of times. Could never rewatch 94 and 95
Agree 100%

Saw the 1st half of the 92 GF on youtube. Was enjoyable. Probably the only one of those grand finals where Geelong were in control at any stage. Seen 89 plenty of times. Could never rewatch 94 and 95

92 was the one we should have won... its was the tipping point I think for that era. Although Id question if our side was as good as the questionably enhanced Eagles.
92 and 08 was certainly the biggest disappointments for me.

92 was the one we should have won... its was the tipping point I think for that era. Although Id question if our side was as good as the questionably enhanced Eagles.
92 and 08 was certainly the biggest disappointments for me.
What about 91 - you could add that to the list of ones which slipped through the net - honestly youd swear someone had a voodoo doll back then - and they were jabbing a needle into it constantly - re what Cats supporters went through

Geel beat Stk - to qual for the 2nd semi - in that game against the Saints - Ablett hit Nathan Burke with a shocking elbow to the head - so much so - Burkes father publicly criticised Ablett for doing it - 2 weeks suspension - so bye bye Ablett . In that game Brownless who had an up and down career - but right at that point he was in career best form - kicked 7 goals i think against Saints - and marked the ball - one grab strong o/head marks ( if he only could have done that throughout his whole career ) he got 1 week for coughing or having his socks down - some trivial nonsense

So those 2 both miss the 2nd semi against Haw - in that game Hinkley ( who did finish 3rd in the Brownlow that year - so he was a very important player ) he hit Tony Hall with a horrendous elbow to the head - and got 3 weeks - so hes gonzo

Geel lost the game by a couple of points - in the last 30-40 seconds - Trevor Poole got the ball - about 60metres out - there was no one in front of him - 4 players ( 2 Geel/2 Haw ) kept backing back towards the goal square - Poole pannicked and kicked it to them

If Mitch Duncan had got that ball - he would have had a couple of bounces - and walked through that goal - ie got to 30 metres out - pulled out the 8 iron and quietly chipped it over their head

When Trevor Poole got hold of that ball ( and given he was a lovely accurate kick ) i was absolutely certain Geel were going to win - but unfortunately he pannicked

What about 91 - you could add that to the list of ones which slipped through the net - honestly youd swear someone had a voodoo doll back then - and they were jabbing a needle into it constantly - re what Cats supporters went through

Geel beat Stk - to qual for the 2nd semi - in that game against the Saints - Ablett hit Nathan Burke with a shocking elbow to the head - so much so - Burkes father publicly criticised Ablett for doing it - 2 weeks suspension - so bye bye Ablett . In that game Brownless who had an up and down career - but right at that point he was in career best form - kicked 7 goals i think against Saints - and marked the ball - one grab strong o/head marks ( if he only could have done that throughout his whole career ) he got 1 week for coughing or having his socks down - some trivial nonsense

So those 2 both miss the 2nd semi against Haw - in that game Hinkley ( who did finish 3rd in the Brownlow that year - so he was a very important player ) he hit Tony Hall with a horrendous elbow to the head - and got 3 weeks - so hes gonzo

Geel lost the game by a couple of points - in the last 30-40 seconds - Trevor Poole got the ball - about 60metres out - there was no one in front of him - 4 players ( 2 Geel/2 Haw ) kept backing back towards the goal square - Poole pannicked and kicked it to them

If Mitch Duncan had got that ball - he would have had a couple of bounces - and walked through that goal - ie got to 30 metres out - pulled out the 8 iron and quietly chipped it over their head

When Trevor Poole got hold of that ball ( and given he was a lovely accurate kick ) i was absolutely certain Geel were going to win - but unfortunately he pannicked
I knew Couchy a little back in the 2000's and he always claimed 93 should have been our year. We had Essendon's measure, and on our day, were the best team in the comp, but we left our run too late. The Baby Bombers were very opportunistic.

We were seriously respected in 2007, 2009 and 2011. In 2007, they did wonder if we'd fail in the GF, as we'd done before, but we were the dominant team of the year and were almost unstoppable with our style.

2009, it was us and the Saints the whole year.

2011, us and the Pies the whole year and we smoked them in that last round.

In 2022, no-one gave us a chance. We defied convention by having older players. We had a senior coach that everyone thought was jaded and looking to leave over contractual issues. A new CEO that didnt seem to be happy with the coach (re: contract discussions). Assistant coaches were new and very unblooded, after some experienced ones had left on bad terms.

We had maybe 2 A-graders in the team, and one got suspended for a bit, the other had hamstring issues in 2021. We had injuries and alot of rotations. We didnt look like were doing much, just winning, but it was always about other teams and we were an afterthought. That first final - it was a here we go again - same old Geelong. And then we just clicked and turned into a very well-oiled machine in every sense.

We were seriously respected in 2007, 2009 and 2011. In 2007, they did wonder if we'd fail in the GF, as we'd done before, but we were the dominant team of the year and were almost unstoppable with our style.

In 2022, no-one gave us a chance. We defied convention by having older players. We had a senior coach that everyone thought was jaded and looking to leave over contractual issues. A new CEO that didnt seem to be happy with the coach (re: contract discussions). Assistant coaches were new and very unblooded, after some experienced ones had left on bad terms.

We had maybe 2 A-graders in the team, and one got suspended for a bit, the other had hamstring issues in 2021. We had injuries and alot of rotations. We didnt look like were doing much, just winning, but it was always about other teams and we were an afterthought. That first final - it was a here we go again - same old Geelong. And then we just clicked and turned into a very well-oiled machine in every sense.
Hawkins, Guthrie, Cameron, Stewart, Danger = 5 A Graders

Hawkins, Guthrie, Cameron, Stewart, Danger = 5 A Graders
Yeah, in hindsight. During the year, it was only Cameron and Stewart. Everyone was talking about Danger and his lack of fitness, being past it. Guthrie was no different to good mid's in other teams and Hawkins was an old man.

It wasnt like 2009 where we had beasts on every line and were the envy of the competition. In 2009, those same players were were established and at their peak. 2011, they were considered too old, but still had Scarlett, Ottens, Bartel and Selwood, so were still considered a very good team.

Last year, we were ranked as middling for personnel, with alot of commentators and even fans predicting a fall out of the 8.

Coming into the 2023 season, I'd say Geelong is still an afterthought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved reading everyone's memories / opinions! Thanks everyone for sharing. Loved it.

Don't really have cute stories myself but:

2007 - the prelim against the Pies is iconic. Very underrated. As for the GF itself, loved all the older Geelong supporters getting emotional and what this meant to them after the torment they endured. Also gave us 119; I think the Crows supporters enjoy that even more than we do lol!

2009 - funny thing is, my favourite moment isn't the toe poke but the moment just before--seeing Jr. in all that space, all by himself, in the centre of the G. Still gives my shivers. The rest, as they say, is history.

2011 - knew we'd win the whole year and we did. Only team to the beat the Pies that whole season and we did it three times. Hearing the Geelong supporters at the ground steal the Collingwood funeral chant was the cherry on top. I have a mighty soft spot for this GF.

2022 - watched from my kitchen. Was a nervous wreck. I still didn't trust us after our choking in finals over the years even when we were well ahead. Brisbane supporting family finally got me, sat me down, and said, "You've won. Enjoy it." Thankfully they did because I could have missed Selwood's goal hiding in the kitchen!

It's a tie between 2009 / 2011 for me, though maybe 2011 just wins out because in this game Hawkins came of age, because of Varcoe's goals, and Domsy getting his medal. Not to mention it was the year we were "too old, too slow, too good." That said I cried several times during the 2022 GF. Picking one is too hard!

I loved reading everyone's memories / opinions! Thanks everyone for sharing. Loved it.

Don't really have cute stories myself but:

2007 - the prelim against the Pies is iconic. Very underrated. As for the GF itself, loved all the older Geelong supporters getting emotional and what this meant to them after the torment they endured. Also gave us 119; I think the Crows supporters enjoy that even more than we do lol!

2009 - funny thing is, my favourite moment isn't the toe poke but the moment just before--seeing Jr. in all that space, all by himself, in the centre of the G. Still gives my shivers. The rest, as they say, is history.

2011 - knew we'd win the whole year and we did. Only team to the beat the Pies that whole season and we did it three times. Hearing the Geelong supporters at the ground steal the Collingwood funeral chant was the cherry on top. I have a mighty soft spot for this GF.

2022 - watched from my kitchen. Was a nervous wreck. I still didn't trust us after our choking in finals over the years even when we were well ahead. Brisbane supporting family finally got me, sat me down, and said, "You've won. Enjoy it." Thankfully they did because I could have missed Selwood's goal hiding in the kitchen!

It's a tie between 2009 / 2011 for me, though maybe 2011 just wins out because in this game Hawkins came of age, because of Varcoe's goals, and Domsy getting his medal. Not to mention it was the year we were "too old, too slow, too good." That said I cried several times during the 2022 GF. Picking one is too hard!
This I've never heard of!

1) What is the Collingwood FUneral Chant?
2) What exactly did the cats supporters do?

Funny thing is they ALWAYS go too early with the chant.
I only remember them losing when the chant comes out in the second quarter.
Yep, they were 18 points up in the 2nd quarter and started the chant. It was a bizarre time to go that early. Maybe if you’re 35 up, but 3 goals is nothing. Was so sweet to chant it in the last quarter when the game was actually won and then segue into the classic Geelong chant! Gotta hand it to the cheer squad on that. They read the moment well

Had the good fortune of meeting one of our former premiership captains tonight. Was giving a motivational speech given for a lot of guys it is GF weekend this weekend.

Any guesses who the players had as BOG in the 2009 GF??

Had the good fortune of meeting one of our former premiership captains tonight. Was giving a motivational speech given for a lot of guys it is GF weekend this weekend.

Selwood?
In thought he was great anyway.

I think 2009, because that entire game was uncertain all the way through. That was a stressful affair. You really didn't know what was going to happen until a couple of minutes left. The toe-poke has gotta be one of the most legendary moments in GFC history.

Bartel for me (as good as rooke and chapman and a few others were). In the first half when st kilda were on top he was the one that turned the tide.

Who the players rated... I wonder who the players rated in 22

In 09 ... I can remember thinking I thought Harry T on NR did an important role. He only kicked one goal. Max R probably highly valued for his toughness... but id think Bartel would have been given high points for being given the job to quell Hays at quarter time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back