2007, 2009, 2011, 2022 - which flag was most memorable for you

Remove this Banner Ad

Who the players rated... I wonder who the players rated in 22

In 09 ... I can remember thinking I thought Harry T on NR did an important role. He only kicked one goal. Max R probably highly valued for his toughness... but id think Bartel would have been given high points for being given the job to quell Hays at quarter time

Listening and talking to a few players and club people, Smith or Danger were the 2 very obvious picks.

I think the Norm voting for 22 was pretty spot on, in that Smith and Danger were a toss of the coin BOG and Stengle a clear 3rd best, then a bunch just below those.

Listening and talking to a few players and club people, Smith or Danger were the 2 very obvious picks.

I think the Norm voting for 22 was pretty spot on, in that Smith and Danger were a toss of the coin BOG and Stengle a clear 3rd best, then a bunch just below those.

Some games you can have 12 guys mentioned ..... that game for me Danger BOG , especially after watching the replay. Maybe he need to tickle the scoreboard.

I still think if Hawk had kicked as straight as he can on a good day he might have had two Norms on his neck...yet both games he was a huge influence.

Some games you can have 12 guys mentioned ..... that game for me Danger BOG , especially after watching the replay. Maybe he need to tickle the scoreboard.

I still think if Hawk had kicked as straight as he can on a good day he might have had two Norms on his neck...yet both games he was a huge influence.

Although I agree I thought Danger had the biggest impact, especially in hindsight viewing, I had zero qualms with Smith winning the medal. Those 2 early goals in particular were immense.
I don't really think goals and scoreboard impact should be a deciding factor, but their games were so similar that I think in this case it was enough of a differing factor for some.

Selwood?
In thought he was great anyway.

Bartel or Rooke?

Bartel for me (as good as rooke and chapman and a few others were). In the first half when st kilda were on top he was the one that turned the tide.

Who the players rated... I wonder who the players rated in 22

In 09 ... I can remember thinking I thought Harry T on NR did an important role. He only kicked one goal. Max R probably highly valued for his toughness... but id think Bartel would have been given high points for being given the job to quell Hays at quarter time

Has to be Taylor.

Definitely the Q9
The conversation started out by preaching the importance of playing your role, remember this was a pre-grand final pep talk for a local sporting club.

He (Ling) then talks about 08 being lost as multiple players subconsciously went away from their role and panicked. Panicked that when we were on top we were missing shots so subconsciously lots of players tried to be the “hero”.

In 09 Josh Hunt was injured and Bomber asked James Kelly - the blue chip dependable midfielder overshadowed by others to play the small defender role. A thankless task as you can be playing well and then a mosquito forward kicks 3 in 5 minutes and you’ve had a s**t game. In the lead up to the GF he was given the role on Stephen Milne. A match up that could decide the match.

Kelly kept him quiet, and goalless. And for that his teammates state he was BOG.

2022 more memorable because it happened like 10 mins ago and not 10 years.

The best though.... well the one that broke the drought (2007) really is the one that made everything else possible, so that’s the most important for mine.

The conversation started out by preaching the importance of playing your role, remember this was a pre-grand final pep talk for a local sporting club.

He (Ling) then talks about 08 being lost as multiple players subconsciously went away from their role and panicked. Panicked that when we were on top we were missing shots so subconsciously lots of players tried to be the “hero”.

In 09 Josh Hunt was injured and Bomber asked James Kelly - the blue chip dependable midfielder overshadowed by others to play the small defender role. A thankless task as you can be playing well and then a mosquito forward kicks 3 in 5 minutes and you’ve had a s**t game. In the lead up to the GF he was given the role on Stephen Milne. A match up that could decide the match.

Kelly kept him quiet, and goalless. And for that his teammates state he was BOG.
Very underrated in general.

Cool story. Can't say I recall this getting much attention at the time, so will be good to keep in mind for my next 2009 re-watch.

Never would have guessed kelly. Shows how highly they rated Milne as a danger... I guess we did have a tendency to get burnt by small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did actually watch this GF in the lead up to the '22 noted and noted the above too. Not in terms of "wow Kelly was the best player on the field" but moreso "holy moly we had Kelly playing back pocket? And doing well at it?" Cause this was way before his half back move at Essendon that was more a typical flanker role. Anyway great shout and thanks for sharing.

He (Ling) then talks about 08 being lost as multiple players subconsciously went away from their role and panicked. Panicked that when we were on top we were missing shots so subconsciously lots of players tried to be the “hero”
Yeah unfortunately there was a lot of "me me me" in that game

Like most my ranking is based on my personal situation and experience at the time.
We moved from Melbourne to Perth in 1999 so I was able to be there in 92 , 94 & 95. After 95 I never thought we would jag one let alone win 4 in 15 years.

2007 - the drought breaker , was there with my 11YO son , cried like a baby for 30 minutes after......:'(
2022 - there with my now 26YO son and 28YO daughter ( her 1st GF live) Missus home minding the dog....kids are drinking age !!!:drunk:
2011 - tough game , there with my then 15YO son , Lingy's goal and who doesn't like beating the Pies.;)
2009 - Watched at home - least favourite because my darling StKilda supporting wife was heartbroken.......... :huh:

Can't believe how consistent and how great we have become since 2007. In my 61 years as a supporter going through all the ups and downs and witnessing both Ablett's I never thought we would become such a powerhouse Club - excellence on and off the field.

Maybe there's more to come?????

They all have a special place in my heart. Despite only being successful in the ballot for last year I was lucky enough to get tickets to all 4.

2007 being the drought breaker and to do it in that fashion was even sweeter. Then coming back to Geelong and witnessing and participating in the party

2009 got my tickets from a Bigfooty member at 8pm on the Friday night meeting them in a maccas carpark, seemed dodgy as * but ended up legit. Game was brutal and spent 2 hours in a constant state of anxiety

2011 sat in the best seat in the house, front row of teir 3 at dead centre wing. Would have been the best ever grand final in Collingwood could keep up. Then got to attend the after party with the players.

2022 came during a very rough time for me personally which with any luck, will be turning in the next few weeks. This lead to me really needing something positive in my life and boy did the club deliver. A lot of emotion burst out of me on that day and still does when watching any replays
This game also was the most fun in the crowd. Our bay in front of the scoreboard was amazing after every goal and I'm convinced the Geeeeelloooooooong chant you can hear on the replay after each goal was from us

2009. The regular season had been building between us and Saints. Massive game during the year which we loose. Horrible conditions GF day, Hayes going berserk, Bartel goes full tag to quell the influence. Chappy does the rest ! Boom 💥

They all have a special place in my heart. Despite only being successful in the ballot for last year I was lucky enough to get tickets to all 4.

2022 came during a very rough time for me personally which with any luck, will be turning in the next few weeks. This lead to me really needing something positive in my life and boy did the club deliver. A lot of emotion burst out of me on that day and still does when watching any replays
This game also was the most fun in the crowd. Our bay in front of the scoreboard was amazing after every goal and I'm convinced the Geeeeelloooooooong chant you can hear on the replay after each goal was from us
Sad to read that Todd. Hope things are better for you now

2022 for me barely happened. Watched it alone, in a foul mood, at home, not even saying a peep I may as well have been watching a movie.

Well... You live and learn I guess

2007 - will always stand out as the drought-breaker; it also set us up for the ones that followed.

The rest are all memorable for their own reasons. All unforgettable.

2009 - for defeating a very strong St Kilda team that had outplayed us earlier in the season; a great contest, probably the best game of the 4 premierships.

2011 - beating Collingwood in a tough Grand Final and seeing Eddie's long pelican face: perfect.

2022 - written off as too old after a wobbly start to the season, then smashing 16 straight to send Joel off in style.

2007 - Drought breaking and breaking the record for largest GF win at the same time was awesome.
2009- Beat Saint Failda I thought we were going to lose until the siren went. Can never forget the Scarlett toe poke to GAJ into Varcoe into Chappy goal.
2011- Beat the filth and got revenge for 2010 PF. Hawkins break out game too.
2022- Revenge for Nick Davis plus the rigged game earlier gifting Franklin 1000 goals on his home deck. But also relief of just nabbing another one after being up for so long and falling short each time.

They were all special in their own unique way.

But let's just be thankful for how spoiled we've been, that not only have we got to see one (so many others still haven't in their lifetimes), but we have seen another three.

What a football club we're fortunate to support. 😻

Remove this Banner Ad

Back