PC-04

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Blackburn(EFL)
Transition between cricket and football seasons is always hard for me. Too old to play footy anymore (some would say cricket as well), Summer is the only time I stay reasonably fit. A finals campaign with the willow kept at bay my clandestine affair with Shiraz,....but not for long. So, sitting here watching Essendon and the Eagles trip over each other like 4th Division sides in their first preseason training run, I`ve topped up my glass and turned my attention to the cryptic crossword. ....

Forging accounting for kicks (12 letters) Errr...Tigermuffins?
A bit too mushy to swallow (6,8)....Purple backwash?
Plane crash down south (5,4)...Noble Park?
A little soft or plastic (4,5)....Ummm....Navy Blues?

Clearly I`m not concentrating;something must be distracting me. Oh Yeah - FIRST GAME IS TOMORROW!

The Mighty Burners host Lilydale at Morton Park and I can`t wait. The dew, the whistle and sound of leather being whacked about will be in the air. With a bit of luck , through the Blackburn goalposts.

But, who knows? It seems to me that we`ve recruited/developed well but so have others. First game of the year is too hard to read. The `Dales are keen to make their mark this season but the Red Army`s mission is one of "unfinished business".

Should be a great opener - looking forward to seeing in action the Panthers` new additions, in particular Mitch Nelson, Nathan Ryan, and the Vansittart brothers.

Watch this space,
PC

312623_1_S.jpg
V Lilydale Falcons
No dew on the ground. In fact it was a glorious day; Morton Park bathed in sunshine with a light breeze toward the scoreboard end. In fact, the place seemed positively cheery. Past players day was filled with knowing looks, the handshakes and backslapping of old mates regathering for another season. A few beers and old tall stories later it was like we`d never left.

The off season had been tumultuous for the Falcons and they`d lost a few key personnel - led by the Kennys to Mitcham and the Cruikshanks to Coldstream - and they weren`t expected to pose a serious threat to a Blackburn team on the way up. This view was reinforced by the reserves scoreline - a 140 pt+ Panther win.
Losing Kristen Height, Craig Morrison and "Dolly" Parton was a blow to the Burners, but there were some strong newcomers, including Ryan (Perth) and the brothers Vansittart (Nth.Bullants).

Still, with Carafa and Hatton out injured, and Waterworth underdone playing 2`s, Blackburn weren`t hitting top gear, and an upset wasn`t out of the question.

The game opened with a flurry of Blackburn scoring chances and plenty of errors from both teams, and continued that way to 1/2 time, resulting in a 24 point lead to the Panthers which they barely deserved. The home crowd was restless.

In the 3rd term the footy honestly didn`t improve much, still dominated by missed tackles and turnovers. But at least it got a bit willing, the argy-bargy resulting in a few bruised heads and a couple of Lilydale goals, James Roach in particular trying to impose himself on the match. The 3/4 time siren couldn`t come quickly enough for visibly livid Burners coach, Steve Cochrane. The Falcons were within 3 goals and could scent an unlikely kill.

Some more push and shove seemed to improve the footy and a goal to each side said "game on".
But, in a flash everything changed - Blackburn`s running and teamwork clicked into gear and 5 goals in 8 minutes wrenched the game into their safekeeping. Michael Prendergast finished with 4.

Roach was the standout for Lilydale, while Blackburn had too much class in the end, key contributors Paul Bunn, Ian Cruttenden and Zac Vansittart icing the game when it was there to be won.

One significant injury to report: young Falcon Rohan Williamson was stretchered of with a nasty ankle injury midway through the game.

Blackburn: 3.6 7.11 10.15 18.21 (129)
Lilydale: 0.2 4.5 8.10 10.12 (72)

Thanks for the review PC-04, actually going to watch the burners this week @ Balwyn.

We`d want to be a bit sharper than Saturday`s performance or the Tigermuffins`ll toast us :eek:

You haven't jumped off the Devils after 1 round. ;)
No, lol. Was actually busy on Saturday so couldn't make it to Mooroolbark. Will most likely be at Round 3 @ Waverley Blues to see the Devils.

Bobby, Good to see Doncaster have started off well in Division 3.

No, lol. Was actually busy on Saturday so couldn't make it to Mooroolbark. Will most likely be at Round 3 @ Waverley Blues to see the Devils.

Bobby, Good to see Doncaster have started off well in Division 3.

Yeah the hype regarding certain clubs in 3rd has been greatly exaggerated.
When you recruit outside the EFL, you don't exist & fly under the radar. Justin Nelson in 1 of the local papers picked us for 9th FFS!!! If I was writing professionally & had to make such selections I would actually do a little research before hand.

All I hear is that its wide open. If every club had their best sides on the park I believe only 1 of 3 can win it. Give me a week & this may even reduce to 2.

2nd Division on the other hand just as open as ever. How I long for 2nd division :)

Balwyn V Blackburn

The long weekend meant a quiet night at the restaurant, and a relatively early finish for me. A bit of evening TV footy and a nice Mornington Pinot had me snoozing just after midnight and relatively refreshed on Saturday. 4 coffees and a sudoku later and I was out mowing (just the nature strip, not the entire lawn - don`t be ridiculous). The sun was warm despite the forecast; maybe I`d head to Balwyn after all....I`ll check the score on 98.1FM.

It was close, could be a good`un...and there you have it : I`d convinced myself it was worthwhile. But as soon as I hit Whitehorse Rd. I felt nauseous. The sky had clouded over, rain fell and the sunshine, having finished its motivational deception, retreated to wherever it goes when it knows not to watch.

I arrived at little Balwyn Park as the siren sounded to start the 3rd term with Blackburn trailing by 2 points and kicking against the now strong wind. What followed was an awesome demonstration that only one Grand Final berth is up for grabs, and whoever makes it must play a collection of well-drilled, BIG bodied, fast & talented monsters with precise hand- and footskills.

Eight goals to nil doesn`t quite cover it. Those Tigermuffins were easing up at the 20 minute mark, and when they finally let the Burners have a turn with the ball, ...well, let`s just say that delivering high bombs into the teeth of a gale is not going to get a result,....especially to forwards who can`t make it to the front of the contest.

With pride on the line and the wind at their backs in the final 1/4 the Panthers kicked 5.5, matched effortlessly by the 2010 Premiers, who had 7 of their best 22 missing!!!!. Was it just me, or did the match finish in complete darkness? Perhaps the whole thing was a nightmare; I`ll check my computer when I wake and see if I wrote this.

Hale, Bunn and Mars tried hard for Blackburn while Bowden (5 goals), Prendergast, and Ryan were best for Balwyn.

Balwyn: 6.4 9.5 17.10 22.15 (147)
Blackburn: 4.5 8.9 8.10 13.15 (93)

2nd Division on the other hand just as open as ever. How I long for 2nd division :)
Yeah apart from Donvale & Ringwood who will most likely finish bottom 2, the rest look fairly even. Time will tell though.

With pride on the line and the wind at their backs in the final 1/4 the Panthers kicked 5.5, matched effortlessly by the 2010 Premiers, who had 7 of their best 22 missing!!!!. Was it just me, or did the match finish in complete darkness? Perhaps the whole thing was a nightmare; I`ll check my computer when I wake and see if I wrote this.
It wasn't just you it finished in darkness, i think the last quarter started at like 4:30-4:40, thats usually when the game finishes & if they were missing 7 of there best 22.... wow!

It wasn't just you it finished in darkness, i think the last quarter started at like 4:30-4:40, thats usually when the game finishes & if they were missing 7 of there best 22.... wow!

Currently have 15 of their senior list injured.
Struggling for numbers in the 2's & have sent out a cry for some recently retired types to help out until it turns around.
If it does turnaround, Watch Out!!

I feel positively sick! I`ve felt this way for ages.

It started a few weeks back when I walked in to find my housemates` young kids had totally trashed my house while he worked in the garage. As I calmly picked up the contents of the rubbish bin from across the kitchen floor, surveyed the junior nouveau art on the entrance hallway walls (gently prying the offending permanent marker pens from the bold new artistes on the block), tearfully diposed of the broken CD`s (sadly, Patrizio`s latest release was not amongst them, just some of my favorites) and poured salt over the stain on the carpet made by the contents of my best bottle of Grandfather port (making the shape of a body at a crime scene), a cloud of darkness crept upon me and I started thinking.....

.....Which one of them? The 2yo? - she doesn`t contribute much around the house.....The 4yo? Middle child; wouldn`t be missed.... The 7yo? If I took him out, the others wouldn`t talk, perhaps ever again.

I pulled myself together and hustled down to Balwyn Park, just in time to see my beloved Burners ripped apart by the Tiger manace. SICK!

A week later and my ex number one was telling me how much it was going to cost me to take our son to a group of her preferred psychologists to have him tested in response to some perceived behavioural problems at her place (he`s smarter than she). "Just in case," she said without blinking, "he might be a psychopath." Aware that there was at least one psychopath in the room, I felt the dark clouds begin to grip me again and knew what I had to do.

"Come on mate. The Burners are gonna clobber Croydon today. We`ll go and watch - should be some terrific footy". But when we got there the game was done and dusted and we nodded off to a quarter and a half of drab crap in which only one goal was scored, which we missed due to a toilet break. SICK!SICK!

All was not lost. There was still the winless East Ringwood team to play - we`d murder them to quell my bloodlust, for sure, and afterwards I`d pick up my 3yo angel from ex number two for our weekly access. I just knew I was gonna feel better soon. Thirsty for the kill, I made sure to arrive in time to witness the entire murderous event.

I was half right - it was a DISASTER! I gaped in shock as the red n black dragon was slain and chopped into reptilean steak by the knight in the NTTAWWTy blue armour. Open-mouthed, I answered the phone to a 20 minute crazy-woman rant. ....my maintenance payment was two days late; I was unstable; didn`t deserve to see my little girl; hate you;etc,etc. When I hung up the phone she still hadn`t taken a breath and may still be going. SICK! SICK! SICK!!!!!!!

The Scoresby game was no better but last Saturday I steeled myself for some therapy; there had to be some joy in playing East Burwood at home. There, but for the grace of ..... I had a lot riding on this one.

BLACKBURN Vs EAST BURWOOD

The sunshine, light breeze, the warbling magpies that met the players as they took the field were quickly replaced by a fierce and bruising clash, punctuated by sickening thuds and brutal tackles - the centre square was no place for the faint-hearted. The Rams jumped out early, but accurate goalkicking and strength of mind enabled Blackburn to the front at 1/4 time. And in the 2nd, it seemed they would pull away - after being dangerous early, Beau Casson was shut down by Panthers` skipper Chris Wilson, and midfield ascendancy gave Blackburn a 3 goal lead as they hit the rooms.

Enter the Burners specialty, a 3rd quarter fadeout. Henshaw, Matheson, and Waldron led a merry dance as East Burwood surged to take a 4 point 3/4 time lead and all the momentum.

The last term was a classic display of hard footy, with both teams putting everything on the line. This was a season defining event for both clubs, and fittingly there were great acts of desperation across the ground. With Johns` early goal Blackburn took the lead, and a screamer from Matt Tuminello brought the crowd to their feet, his conversion putting the Panthers up by 10 points.

A goal to the Rams kept the game alive. But a fine snap from 40 metres put the issue beyond doubt - the Burners had prevailed.

Johns (6 goals) performed brilliantly to earn BOG honours, just ahead of Simon Hale. Matheson and Waldron were best for East Burwood, along with Casson (3 goals).

I still feel pretty ill, but it was enough to keep the darkness at bay, at least for the next week.
PC

BLACKBURN 4.0 8.5 10.7 13.11-89
EAST BURWOOD 3.2 5.6 10.11 11.13-79

Remove this Banner Ad

Back