Division 2 thread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't sure about him at the start of the season, but was convinced he knew what he was doing after I learned that half way through the season we had 23 players out, yet were still 5th. Plus we have been missing a ruckman all year since the unexpected departure of Zac Hanlen. Over the last 2 weeks we have added another 9 out injured and had U17's playing in the 2's. I guess we will find out more over the next couple of days. These last 2 games will determine if we can make the finals. As Tolkien said: "These are indeed strange days".

I wasn't sure about him at the start of the season, but was convinced he knew what he was doing after I learned that half way through the season we had 23 players out, yet were still 5th. Plus we have been missing a ruckman all year since the unexpected departure of Zac Hanlen. Over the last 2 weeks we have added another 9 out injured and had U17's playing in the 2's. I guess we will find out more over the next couple of days. These last 2 games will determine if we can make the finals. As Tolkien said: "These are indeed strange days".

Article in todays HS. He’s clearly in shock and admits his coaching career is over.

If you’re appointing a coach and then sacking them less than 12 months later, your next announcement is probably your own resignation.

They won 13 games last year - two against Oakleigh District, so they don’t count - lost two of their best players apparently and could still win 9 or 10 this year and play finals.

They’d wanna have something decent in store, at the moment they just look delusional.

If you’re appointing a coach and then sacking them less than 12 months later, your next announcement is probably your own resignation.

They won 13 games last year - two against Oakleigh District, so they don’t count - lost two of their best players apparently and could still win 9 or 10 this year and play finals.

They’d wanna have something decent in store, at the moment they just look delusional.
I totally agree and I expect a resignation or two shortly.

I suggest in many cases it’s the tail wagging the dog. Lose a lot of players or dump the coach. I’m not saying it’s the case and in saying that if it is, you cull the coach early so you keep the players. This is just my view.

And usually a bundle of those players then go off and find their next club to exploit financially anyway.

And usually a bundle of those players then go off and find their next club to exploit financially anyway.
I’ve seen it occur so many times over a few decades at a plethora of clubs.
So they're a game behind Mulgrave for finals, and have Upper Gully in the last round, which they'll win... and Mulgrave have Boronia, which they certainly won't win!

You'd have them faves to finished fifth. Incredible decision.
They may finish 5th but they’d be out in the first final. No matter what transpires it’s been a tough year injury wise and a wasted year coaching wise. A few recruits failed to produce anything despite the plaudits. It’s back to the drawing board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They only had to pick up the phone

Thats very odd, Odd timing . You would think there has to be something the President has up his sleeve. Shows the class of McGregor how he has handled it. Once again Committees make some weird decisions. Dont know much about the President but does he have a footy playing background?
President was a very good footballer that played Fitzroy VFL reserves at a young age. Good & smart guy, who has a very strong football background.
I think they have been honest to the coach who is also a great football person who has decided he doesn’t see the point carrying on if he will not be reappointed next season. Shame for all not to see out 2023.
The club doesn’t get the recruits they have over the last 2 years if they do not know what they are doing.

There must be internal issues, otherwise the only thing you can really deduce is the committee thinks they must be doing better than they are.

That seems a little delusional to me for both East Burwood and Templestowe. Tempy in particular are equal second on the ladder.

Templestowe to me looks a bit like a club that has dropped a bomb of cash on recruits and therefore just thinks they should win a flag. That's just an assumption from the outside.

There must be internal issues, otherwise the only thing you can really deduce is the committee thinks they must be doing better than they are.

That seems a little delusional to me for both East Burwood and Templestowe. Tempy in particular are equal second on the ladder.

Templestowe to me looks a bit like a club that has dropped a bomb of cash on recruits and therefore just thinks they should win a flag. That's just an assumption from the outside.
Tail wagging the Dog.

Correct, the Coaching merry go round just starts early for 2024. NFI what’s going on.
Ridiculous to finish up a coach so close to the end of the year. A bad look for the clubs especially those who cannot play finals.

In regards to the decision made at Templestowe, I hear the decision was made based on some 'internal' relationship issues, namely between Anthony and the committee.

What I found unusual is that Anthony was finished up immediately and then went and watched the team play the following Saturday. That is weird considering what happened.

Interesting to hear still some internal problems at Templestowe post the change of coach. All is not well at this time and there will be more significant change at the end of the season. Lets say the playing list in 2024 will be very different from what I have heard and those recruits on big money are highly unlikely to be at the club.

Ridiculous to finish up a coach so close to the end of the year. A bad look for the clubs especially those who cannot play finals.

In regards to the decision made at Templestowe, I hear the decision was made based on some 'internal' relationship issues, namely between Anthony and the committee.

What I found unusual is that Anthony was finished up immediately and then went and watched the team play the following Saturday. That is weird considering what happened.

Interesting to hear still some internal problems at Templestowe post the change of coach. All is not well at this time and there will be more significant change at the end of the season. Lets say the playing list in 2024 will be very different from what I have heard and those recruits on big money are highly unlikely to be at the club.
The days of paying big money are over. Why pay 1 good player $2000 a game when you can pay 5 solid players $400 a game?

Last edited:
The East Burwood decision isn't unexpected. Too many influential people at that club never supported the appointment and refused to embrace the coach.
That's interesting and I didn't see that firsthand. I would suggest many like myself questioned his appointment per his CV, even had that on here. In saying that I was told he interviewed really well and whether the other applicants weren't up to scratch or there weren't actually other applicants I have no idea. His gameplan was more defensive and Wynds was more offensive. David was unlucky with so many injuries he struggled to put a team actually on the park. Personally, those who appointed him and recruited some of the players have to fall on their swords. Football is a tough game on and off the field and you live and die by your decisions. With u19's in for 2024 the club has a way forward and I hope/believe they will get it right.

That's interesting and I didn't see that firsthand. I would suggest many like myself questioned his appointment per his CV, even had that on here. In saying that I was told he interviewed really well and whether the other applicants weren't up to scratch or there weren't actually other applicants I have no idea. His gameplan was more defensive and Wynds was more offensive. David was unlucky with so many injuries he struggled to put a team actually on the park. Personally, those who appointed him and recruited some of the players have to fall on their swords. Football is a tough game on and off the field and you live and die by your decisions. With u19's in for 2024 the club has a way forward and I hope/believe they will get it right.

For a coach to be sacked after 9 or 10 months in the job, there’s something bad going on behind the scenes. Catastrophic results aside - and there wasn’t those, even if they think they underachieved a bit - you don’t get sacked that quickly. I doubt gameplans or injuries had anything to do with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back