Premier 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No cheque book there all above board 😁

I just called it that because they've clearly gone and brought in a shitload of non local players, who knows how they've done it, might be work etc and all above board - i doubt they're just blatantly throwing cash.

But Cam Giles, Taylin Duman, Tom Bell, Luke Tynan, Lach Waddell, Varagiannis, Conor Haswell, Josh Deluca all in the last two off-seasons is a recruiting drive barely seen before in local footy.

And to then possibly miss the finals? Sorry but that would be nothing short of a massive fail

I just called it that because they've clearly gone and brought in a shitload of non local players, who knows how they've done it, might be work etc and all above board - i doubt they're just blatantly throwing cash.

But Cam Giles, Taylin Duman, Tom Bell, Luke Tynan, Lach Waddell, Varagiannis, Conor Haswell, Josh Deluca all in the last two off-seasons is a recruiting drive barely seen before in local footy.

And to then possibly miss the finals? Sorry but that would be nothing short of a massive fail
Be a disaster for them and BTW there not on there own re -recruiting spending $$$

Blackburn sneaks into finals after Noble Park dropped 5 of their last 6 games.

Personal opinion only but Top 6 a bit of a joke anyway in my humble. As is the Top 5 for that matter.

With divisions returning to 10 teams and even fixtures next year, hope the league does the right thing and goes back to the Top 4 system which is the fairest, easiest and most rewarding system, and perfectly suited to a 10-team league.

None of this “more teams can play finals!” rubbish hopefully.

Just a reflection of comments earlier in the year with Vermont in trouble. Even hard-core Vermont people had them gone for the season. After 18 rounds they've finished a game clear on top of the ladder and a huge chance at winning another Premiership.

On a side note: Vale Jeff Rudd (Former Vermont U18's, Reserves Coach, Banners Assistant). Condolences to his wife Maree and family. A big Thank You to the Vermont FC where Jeff's wake was held on Friday. RIP Jeff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blackburn parts ways with Brendan Allen
Geez having him coning back didn't last long.

BUZAGLO-LOCKED-IN-FOR.jpg

Mitchell Shruk back from Box Hill to Roweville for the GF. Jake Arundell (Rowville) playing for BH (and performing really well) in a Prelim up on the Gold Coast on Saturday. Must be great for players to get the chance, but for clubs to loose players at finals time must make it difficult for clubs.
On another matter Damian Mascitti is retiring at Box Hill. I wonder if he will end up at Doncaster East? Would be a terrific get for any club.

Mitchell Shruk back from Box Hill to Roweville for the GF. Jake Arundell (Rowville) playing for BH (and performing really well) in a Prelim up on the Gold Coast on Saturday. Must be great for players to get the chance, but for clubs to loose players at finals time must make it difficult for clubs.
On another matter Damian Mascitti is retiring at Box Hill. I wonder if he will end up at Doncaster East? Would be a terrific get for any club.

It’s a rubbish system but we are stuck with it. The AFL don’t give a s**t, it’s all about the higher level.

With Shruk back I'm tipping Rowville by 2 points.

It's what everyone signs up to I suppose so as frustrating as it would be, it just is what it is.

Not at all. Nobody at local level signed up to being part time reserves for VFL teams. They just ditched their reserves comp because apparently it was too expensive and said everybody who doesn’t get a game on the weekend can just go to their local club.

Not much the local clubs can do. They can refuse to sign VFL players but that just puts them at a huge disadvantage.

Not to mention for lower division clubs, they’ll have a player listed by a VFL club who then gets told they have to leave their local club to play for in Premier Division. They barely get a game, all that has happened is their local club has lost them.

It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Not at all. Nobody at local level signed up to being part time reserves for VFL teams. They just ditched their reserves comp because apparently it was too expensive and said everybody who doesn’t get a game on the weekend can just go to their local club.

Not much the local clubs can do. They can refuse to sign VFL players but that just puts them at a huge disadvantage.

Not to mention for lower division clubs, they’ll have a player listed by a VFL club who then gets told they have to leave their local club to play for in Premier Division. They barely get a game, all that has happened is their local club has lost them.

It’s absolutely ridiculous.
Like I said thats what they signed up for. No one at club land has had this fall into their lap as a complete surprise and shouting "I didn't know this could happen". Like you said every club can make choices around their lists and some might be happy loading up with VFL listed players who may/may not be playing with them on any given day (including the most important time of the year). Not sure what you think would be the solution to VFL players missing out? What do they do? Bloody frustrating but what would be even more so is when you have a guy taken out of a final to be with the VFL side as an emergency but not play at all, or told that their season is over even though their community club team is still going and they are eligible. Both situations have occurred up in my neck of the woods with Lions / Suns VFL teams and QAFL clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back