2024 Coaching Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Frank Salanitri re appointed as coach of Nunawading for season 2024.Good to see him re commit for a struggling club on field and pleased to see the improvement off and on field.Club formed in 1927 and down and out 2016 but well done to their committee who are putting a lot of work to rebuild the club.

Last edited:

Apparently a few clubs looking for coaches have been stunned by the lack of quality applicants or just lack of any applicants at all. There was a feeling with so many coaching positions available, there would also be plenty of coaches to choose from, but this is not the case. We could see a number of clubs appoint current players as playing coaches or appoint senior coaches from within their current structure (senior assistants, reserves)

Its only early October but a few clubs out there in genuine panic mode.

Apparently a few clubs looking for coaches have been stunned by the lack of quality applicants or just lack of any applicants at all. There was a feeling with so many coaching positions available, there would also be plenty of coaches to choose from, but this is not the case. We could see a number of clubs appoint current players as playing coaches or appoint senior coaches from within their current structure (senior assistants, reserves)

Its only early October but a few clubs out there in genuine panic mode.
There have also been verbal agreements and then the coaches have signed elsewhere for more $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno how but the story made it into the HS. Many people knew this early in the week.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 68
Big pickup for Croydon with Rhett Jordon back to the club as coach.

Not sure about his comments that he didn’t have time to play and coach in Premier Div with work and young family… so he has dropped back to D2.

Senior coach of any club with a tick of ambition is not something to take on if you’re unsure about time… it’s an enormous job and will be a rude shock if he thinks otherwise. You’re looking at hours of work every day if you want to do it justice.

Great turnout at EB for meet the coach night. I got to meet a plethora of recruits and despite being 6ft I felt like a fricking rover. All the boys that were in braces and moon boots are all out and in recovery. Got to meet Smithy the U19's coach, and good to see Choco coaching the reserves again next year. My perception is there are a lot of positives for the club as a whole and Justin's approach will see the Rams turn it around. Training starts back Nov 13.

Great turnout at EB for meet the coach night. I got to meet a plethora of recruits and despite being 6ft I felt like a fricking rover. All the boys that were in braces and moon boots are all out and in recovery. Got to meet Smithy the U19's coach, and good to see Choco coaching the reserves again next year. My perception is there are a lot of positives for the club as a whole and Justin's approach will see the Rams turn it around. Training starts back Nov 13.
Smithy is a awesome bloke and a much loved guy at Mitcham Football Club ,coached I think a reserves flag and was a wonderful assistant to the senior group when we won our flags 2015,2019.Would make a wonderful senior club at any football club but work prevents this.As a assistant at I think Vermont U19,s and them having 2 U19 sides I am sure this guy will hopefully bring some of these guys across to EB.Biggest problem with U19,s Vermont,Blackburn 2 under 19 sides,if the EFNL says only 1 side how many of these boys would cross to EB who miss out or decide to give it away because they can not play with their mates. PS Thanks for the update.

Smithy is a awesome bloke and a much loved guy at Mitcham Football Club ,coached I think a reserves flag and was a wonderful assistant to the senior group when we won our flags 2015,2019.Would make a wonderful senior club at any football club but work prevents this.As a assistant at I think Vermont U19,s and them having 2 U19 sides I am sure this guy will hopefully bring some of these guys across to EB.Biggest problem with U19,s Vermont,Blackburn 2 under 19 sides,if the EFNL says only 1 side how many of these boys would cross to EB who miss out or decide to give it away because they can not play with their mates. PS Thanks for the update.
My thoughts are one club has one Senior, Reserves, and only one U19 and one women's team. It's a false economy in many ways as in the end you can't fit all the players in and they leave. As we all know mates play with mates and you will lose players. Whilst it's good to have an abundance of players we have to think about football in general. I am not too fussed with the Premier Division as that will be basically the same 5 clubs with the dollars up the top but as we move forward for the rest of the competition (divisions), it's local club community football we need to come together and focus on. If we aren't careful, clubs will fold and with the housing shortage, grounds will go and become housing developments. The league itself has a role here but where are they during the year? The perception with many is they are attending games/functions with the money clubs. The peasants are left to fend for themselves.

Sounds like the place is on the up, though wasn’t exactly “down” this year so bodes well. Could be a close division again, hopefully a few clubs step up and challenge Boronia.

No disrespect to the players recruited but I’m not convinced picking up reserves players from Balwyn will make a huge difference. Will help with depth though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back