2010 TAC Cup Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't been much news on this front as yet other than the following from the GWS website. Anyone else heard anthing new?

Team GWS High Performance Manager Alan McConnell will coach the team in 2010. McConnell recently commenced work with Team GWS after serving for five years as the AIS/AFL Academy High Performance Coach. He is currently developing Academy and talent strategies to support the recruitment of players from across NSW and the ACT and based on the preliminary local components of the List Establishment rules recently approved by the AFL Commission.

http://www.teamgws.com.au/index.php?id=11&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=9&tx_ttnews[backPid]=10&cHash=0e62f2c6d7

I hope the team is made up of as many NSW and ACT players as possible.

It has to be, the team cant recruit anyone else yet.
2010 rookie draft is the first draft they will be involved in but they can recruit 17 year olds born between Jan and April 1993.

I think they get some access to NT kids in 2011 and as a result can put some of them in the TAC squad as well........... here :

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=86224

“We actually want to get a presence of local talent - NSW talent, NT talent - on this first [TAC Cup] list,” McConnell said.

With most of the Sydney based u/18 talent starting zone training this week, it will be interesting to see who performs at the State trials in Coffs Harbour in January.

And if all the recruiters have been right over the past couple of years, how will GWS feel having a TAC Cup team full of Sydney based players who are contracted under Scholarships to other AFL clubs all over Australia ...?

I'm sure the likes of Freo, West Coat and the Crows would be delighted to have their boys under McConnell for their formative season before the draft! ... or will they even get a look in????:rolleyes:

I'm sure the likes of Freo, West Coat and the Crows would be delighted to have their boys under McConnell for their formative season before the draft! ... or will they even get a look in????:rolleyes:

Still a lot of water to go before that happens. I can see the Scholarship clubs getting some sort of compensation for losing scholarship players.

I think you'll find there'll be a bit of a mix, those who'll won't mind moving to a "real" footy state and will want to show a bit of loyalty to the Scholarship club particularly if that club has spent a bit of time with/on them, they may or may not want a gig with GWS, be a big call to knock that back but the Scholarship club may put a fair bit of pressure on them to stay out (particularly those tied to Sydney).

There are plenty though who'll won't like the idea of moving interstate, the Scholarship club will have spent SFA time on/with them, of course they'll move to GWS with bells on.

GWS are doing a fair bit of homework on sorting those two out.

If none of the Scholarship kids get a gig with GWS I wouldn't expect them to win too many games in the TAC Cup, they'll get smashed.

With most of the Sydney based u/18 talent starting zone training this week, it will be interesting to see who performs at the State trials in Coffs Harbour in January.

And if all the recruiters have been right over the past couple of years, how will GWS feel having a TAC Cup team full of Sydney based players who are contracted under Scholarships to other AFL clubs all over Australia ...?

Why do you think the GWS side will be predominately Sydney players?
All the players will beome Sydney based as they will have too for the side to be competitive, but are you saying that because they have a scholarship they are the best players? If you do you are kidding yourself.

Still a lot of water to go before that happens. I can see the Scholarship clubs getting some sort of compensation for losing scholarship players.

If none of the Scholarship kids get a gig with GWS I wouldn't expect them to win too many games in the TAC Cup, they'll get smashed.
Just because they play for GWS in its first year doesn't mean they will be tied to them for life. There will be plenty of scholarship kids playing for GWS.

Agreed.
But how many schoilarship kids are getting put on lists?
This year there has been a massive 3, so if GWS is going to offer them something a fair bit more concrete than their"club" then I think most would jump at it.

Just because they play for GWS in its first year doesn't mean they will be tied to them for life. There will be plenty of scholarship kids playing for GWS.

But GWS won't want to waste time on a kid that has no intention of playing for GWS in the future. There'll be a few that may move on to their Scholarship club but not many I would've thought. GWS will do their homework and make sure they'll retain as many of their TAC squad on to 2012 as possible (those that are good enough) rather than lose them to their scholarship club.

But how many schoilarship kids are getting put on lists?
This year there has been a massive 3, so if GWS is going to offer them something a fair bit more concrete than their "club" then I think most would jump at it.

True enough and as you mentioned earlier I think a fair whack of kids will come from southern NSW and the NT (and end up with a very convenient scholarship at Riverview to see them through Year 11 and 12!!!!).

With the other TAC Cup squads starting pre season very soon, when is the group going to be announced and commence training?

Training starts on the 23rd Nov and invitations were sent out a couple of weeks ago to train under Allan Mc Connell to the initial squad. Swans scholarship boys wont be playing for the GWS tac cup team, but other scholarship boys will be playing.

Why do you think the GWS side will be predominately Sydney players?
All the players will beome Sydney based as they will have too for the side to be competitive, but are you saying that because they have a scholarship they are the best players? If you do you are kidding yourself.

No, what I meant was that the best Sydney based players that age already have scholarships with AFL clubs - of course Riverina will again dominate any State team selection, due to superior training and preparation, ... but surely GWS wants a "poster boy" from somewhere north of Albury to develop through the ranks!

... anyway, as it turns out, they have invited the scholarship holders ... just none of the good ones who are with the Swans!

Question ... if those players have already been invited to train, is there also going to be a RAMS side selected on merit? ... will any Swans Scholarship holder get a look in for that team? ... all a bit confusing ... still making it up as they go I guess!:confused:

The RAMS side is seperate to the GWS TAC team, so there's no reason Swans Scholarship players couldn't be eligible to play for the RAMS.

The Scholarship system was put in place to give Sydney juniors a pathway to the AFL. But now there's a TAC Cup team, they now have the same pathway that Victorian juniors have.
Have the AFL made a ruling on whether any new Scholarships will be allowed to come into being? Now that the TAC Cup team is here, I'd be in favour of all existing Scholarships being retained but no new ones being signed up - with a possible exception that if they'd trialled with GWS's TAC Cup team and been rejected then other clubs could sign them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have the AFL made a ruling on whether any new Scholarships will be allowed to come into being? Now that the TAC Cup team is here, I'd be in favour of all existing Scholarships being retained but no new ones being signed up - with a possible exception that if they'd trialled with GWS's TAC Cup team and been rejected then other clubs could sign them.

Something on the AFL website, scholarship continues in 2010 but that will be it's last year so effectively clubs have until May............. I think it is to sign their last Scholarship players, after that the Academy's and their rules come in.

Existing Scholarship holders with other clubs that chose to go GWS, then GWS will have to organise a trade of their draft picks to the club that holds the scholarship player.

Edit : Found it, buried in here :

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86475/default.aspx

Some interesting comments here, but last year's top TAC club draft wise was Sandringham with 6 in the National Draft and 2 in the Rookie Draft.

I think a few are getting ahead of themselves if they think that a GWS TAC listing will be an automatic drafting.

Sorry to sound like a party pooper but in all reality a NSW scholarship player's greatest probability is a Rookie Drafting at best , and then playing VFL for a season or two to prove themselves worthy for an upgrade to the main list, which won't be a walk in the park.

That's certainly true - it's far from an automatic drafting.
There'll be more TAC Cup players than normal picked up in the draft over the next couple of years as Gold Coast and then GWS form their lists. But even so, there'll still be more players in the TAC Cup that don't get drafted than those who do. And GWS will in all probability draft players from other TAC Cup teams when they form their AFL list.

The history of Scholarship players have only 2 going onto a team's main list - Taylor Walker at Adelaide and Craig Bird at Sydney. Others have gone onto rookie lists, and Ryan Davis has played senior football at West Coast from the rookie list. They were all picked up in the 2007 drafts.
5 Scholarship players were rookie listed in the 2008 intake, but none of them played AFL senior football - the fact they all went to top clubs may have given them less opportunities.

That's certainly true - it's far from an automatic drafting.
There'll be more TAC Cup players than normal picked up in the draft over the next couple of years as Gold Coast and then GWS form their lists. But even so, there'll still be more players in the TAC Cup that don't get drafted than those who do. And GWS will in all probability draft players from other TAC Cup teams when they form their AFL list.

The history of Scholarship players have only 2 going onto a team's main list - Taylor Walker at Adelaide and Craig Bird at Sydney. Others have gone onto rookie lists, and Ryan Davis has played senior football at West Coast from the rookie list. They were all picked up in the 2007 drafts.
5 Scholarship players were rookie listed in the 2008 intake, but none of them played AFL senior football - the fact they all went to top clubs may have given them less opportunities.

You are right in saying that not many of the scholarship players have made afl senior lists but some have been rookied and 2 have been drafted but in the past the only exposure the nsw boys got was playing in the state championships in second division and although not ideal they tended to be overlooked because they were in second div and the boys that played tac cup were seen week in and week out by the afl recruiters and had a far greater advantage playing in well coached team rather than a state team with most of the players from the riverina and trying to be seen and not playing as a team player. Western syd will hopefully give more opertunities to players that may never have played

All true playon2 ...

Recent history tells us that the chances of a Sydney based player being drafted is about 300/1 ... apart from scholarships, in the past 5 years there has been ... Dylan Addison ... anyone else?

.. and the nature of the carnivals for players over 16 tends to favour the Riverina boys (rightly or wrongly) who tend to benefit from a much stronger program in that period.

In saying that, the programs that are now in place are far superior to what has been, and the depth of talent in Sydney junior ranks is growing exponentially ... plus the need to draft a couple of Sydney boys has never been more apparent for the AFL!!!

So, it is certainly interesting times for the young blokes who have a bit of talent, combined with a lot of desire, in the 14-17 years age group in Sydney ... there will never be a better chance to make an AFL list!

Almost certain a kid from Queanbeyan in the ACTAFL has signed with Western Sydney. His name is Kaine Stevens, Rams this year and a AIS/AFL scholarship holder.

Confirmed....

Tigers to Lose Rising Star
Wednesday 18th November 2009
With only eight 1st Grade games with the Queanbeyan Tigers to his credit, youngster Kaine Stevens has been snapped up by the new Western Sydney AFL Club for 2010. ......Kaine is the product of the Tigers Juniors and son of George who played 200 1st Grade games for the Queanbeyan Tigers during the eighties and nineties. He played the later part of his teenage years with St Edmunds College Under age teams before being picked earlier this year to play in his first 1st Grade game for the Tigers Club at age 15. He didn’t disappoint posting 6 goals (5 in the last quarter) to ensure the Tigers had a win over Tuggeranong at Greenway Oval.
In a little over two year’s time, Kaine Stevens could be lining up to face his favourite AFL club, the Sydney Swans, in New South Wales' first ever local derby.......The Year 11 St Edmunds College student grew up in Jerrabomberra, but moved with his family to a property in Little Burra several years ago.
Stevens was consigned to the sidelines for the majority of this year due to a variety of injuries, but represented ACT/NSW at the Under 18 level, and played for the Queanbeyan Tigers' first grade side.
Kaine will complete his studies at boarding school next year as he looks to secure a place in the inaugural senior squad in 2012.
http://www.tigersclub.com.au/latest-news.php

Nick Collins from Belconnen has also been very fortunate to be invloved in the first training that they had a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if it is offical that he has signed with them, but he was put on some special scholarship this year.

so does anyone know when they'll put up a list, with who is training with them it's great t know all this other stuff about the marketing dep but who's goin t kick da footy f em?

Well, well,well,well.

RAMS

No lewington but t'dale,perry,fraser & 4 lame ducks in squad obviousley coffs didn't really matter, good t see young & stubbs in squad though o' & that langford may be released from the cotton wool t play.

hear good things about reid & schulz

but good luck t em hope t see em play either RAMS or as the gws side in the weeks before RAMS games

Hello hello hello, anybody there is there anybody there, GWS are you in anyone there who can organise for a list o' players who may represent the club in TAC cup.

Strangely there are some of us out here who would like to follow the Football TEAM & see how young footballers develop, happy t hear about who is in admin roles but would love a list o' players with a short profile, you know age, height, weight, junior club, existing scholorship, other rep footy, 18's or senior games & achievements with their local clubs.

That way you caan start to build even more interest & people like me may come t early games out at rooty hill to watch specific players who we have read about or are linked to other AFL clubs we may be interested in.

Even just a list of who is training would be great.

Hello hello hello, anybody there is there anybody there, GWS are you in anyone there who can organise for a list o' players who may represent the club in TAC cup.

Strangely there are some of us out here who would like to follow the Football TEAM & see how young footballers develop, happy t hear about who is in admin roles but would love a list o' players with a short profile, you know age, height, weight, junior club, existing scholorship, other rep footy, 18's or senior games & achievements with their local clubs.

That way you caan start to build even more interest & people like me may come t early games out at rooty hill to watch specific players who we have read about or are linked to other AFL clubs we may be interested in.

Even just a list of who is training would be great.

Totally agree steve.
That is why I started this thread in the first place, just want to know who is training/playing for GWS THIS year.

Any information would be great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back