Toast 2023 All Australian Squad & Final AA Team - Congrats Toby Greene!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
VFL House has released the 2023 AA Squad.

GWS has 3 players included:
  • Toby Greene
  • Tom Green
  • Stephen Coniglio
As most would expect, despite a superb season, having missed so many games Sam Taylor was left out.

2023 AFL ALL-AUSTRALIAN SQUAD: Oscar Allen, Noah Anderson, Harris Andrews, Nick Blakey, Marcus Bontempelli, Luke Breust, Zak Butters, Charlie Cameron, Stephen Coniglio, Patrick Cripps, Charlie Curnow, Josh Daicos, Nick Daicos, Joe Daniher, Jordan Dawson, Jordan de Goey, Tim English, Tom Green, Toby Greene, Errol Gulden, Daniel Houston, Luke Jackson, Kyle Langford, Nick Larkey, Tom Liberatore, Rowan Marshall, Dustin Martin, Zach Merrett, Darcy Moore, Lachie Neale, Jai Newcombe, Christian Petracca, Isaac Quaynor, Mason Redman, Connor Rozee, Luke Ryan, Caleb Serong, James Sicily, Jack Sinclair, Tom Stewart, Jack Viney, Taylor Walker, Jacob Weitering, Callum Wilkie

Squad members by club​

5 - Collingwood
4 - Brisbane
3 - Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, GWS, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs
2 - Melbourne, Sydney
1 - Geelong, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, Richmond, West Coast

GWS AA Squad.png

AA Squad trio.png

Thought Sam Taylor would make it and that Daniels was an outside chance. Hope either Cogs or Green joins Toby in the final AA squad

Would like to see Cogs get rewarded. Has been our most impactful mid this year.

Daniels will prob never make it because they have to squeeze all the extra mids into the side that aren’t good enough to be picked in the midfield. Same case as wingers not making the side. Wrong but is what it is.

This has to be the toughest year to pick an AA squad/team. Feels like the top end players has increased. Will likely be a lot of mids end up on wings and half fwd/back lines, so true position players likely miss.
Great to see Cogs and Green get rewarded, will be tough to see them get in (unless we were a big Victorian club).

But TFG is an absolute lock it’s just a matter if he gets the Captaincy or VC? You can look at different angles on this, but he definitely has the best ability to come up big in the really big moments. Also who wouldn’t run through a brick wall with him!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A little surprised Taylor didn’t make the 44. Thought he missed too many games to make the 22, but thought he deserved to be in the extended squad.

got a feeling Cogs might be a sneaky for a spot on the bench. Green only played 19 games & is very young. His time will come.

Briggsy is next year’s AA ruck.

Thought Sam Taylor would make it and that Daniels was an outside chance. Hope either Cogs or Green joins Toby in the final AA squad
missing that last game, was one to many I think.

Toby is a lock.
Green unlikely, but well deserved spot in the 44.

Cogs is a chance to jag a spot imo, he has had a great year (but so have others), he is likable, it is a good story and rewarding our run with 2 players will appeal to selectors. I think they are a reasonable chance to sneak him in in the forward pocket or bench

Toby is a lock.
Green unlikely, but well deserved spot in the 44.

Cogs is a chance to jag a spot imo, he has had a great year (but so have others), he is likable, it is a good story and rewarding our run with 2 players will appeal to selectors. I think they are a reasonable chance to sneak him in in the forward pocket or bench
I do agree.

However, Tom Green is 1st in disposals per game and 1st in contested possessions per game. 9th in score involvements per game (behind Petracca, Green, Curnow, Walker, Cameron, Dusty, Bont & Cogs) the majority of whom will be in the team. So, he had a superb year (even with the competition and was pretty consistent across the whole year. He should actually be looked at really closely!

The 4 games he missed might hurt, given that many of those competing with him have played all games, so it might become that discriminator to exclude him.

I do agree.

However, Tom Green is 1st in disposals per game and 1st in contested possessions per game. 9th in score involvements per game (behind Petracca, Green, Curnow, Walker, Cameron, Dusty, Bont & Cogs) the majority of whom will be in the team. So, he had a superb year (even with the competition and was pretty consistent across the whole year. He should actually be looked at really closely!

The 4 games he missed might hurt, given that many of those competing with him have played all games, so it might become that discriminator to exclude him.
Shouldn't Toby as AA Team Captain, get to pick? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My controversial oppinion is that Idun should have made the team over Quaynor.

Idun has out performed quaynor at pretty much very defensive stat this year except tackles and contested marks.

statIdunQuaynor
1v1 per game2.11.0
Def1v1loss%14.316.7
Disposals 17.216.2
Contested possessions 5.95.7
Spoils4.81.8
Contested Marks0.30.7
Tackles1.92.6

Seeing a quaynor has been picked as a medium defensive defender I think idun should actually be in his place 🤔

My controversial oppinion is that Idun should have made the team over Quaynor.

Idun has out performed quaynor at pretty much very defensive stat this year except tackles and contested marks.

statIdunQuaynor
1v1 per game2.11.0
Def1v1loss%14.316.7
Disposals17.216.2
Contested possessions5.95.7
Spoils4.81.8
Contested Marks0.30.7
Tackles1.92.6

Seeing a quaynor has been picked as a medium defensive defender I think idun should actually be in his place 🤔
Being saying Quaynor is a poor-man's Idun all year

ABC has made its analysis and picks for tonight’s AA squad. In addition to Toby, they think Cogs should also be there on the interchange

Toby Greene is the game's best … whatever he is. Usually he's just an agent of chaos forward of the ball, causing problems for opposition defences.

The interchange

As is dictated by modern footy, more mids are probably the order of the day.

Caleb Serong is also strong on the inside but generally operates a little more in uncontested situations.

Likewise Stephen Coniglio, the cornerstone for a resurgent GWS midfield group

Selector Kane Cornes has spoken on several controversial omissions from this year’s All-Australian squad. Cornes is only one of 10 selectors and did not have the final say on any players picked or not picked. He gave his thoughts on Gryan Miers, Tim Taranto, Nic Newman and others, and also explained the selection of Patrick Cripps, who was included in the squad.

Sam Taylor (GWS)

“He wasn’t eligible because he didn’t play enough games.”

Simple as that, unfortunately for Sam. When he did play, he was pretty clearly the best KPD in the game this year.

Well done to Cogs Greene and Green.

Disappointed for Taylor as surely there isn’t a footy fan out there that doesn’t think he is the best key defender in the league.

According to stats etc TFG and Cogs should get a shirt with Green a possible.
TFG should captain the side.

Selector Kane Cornes has spoken on several controversial omissions from this year’s All-Australian squad. Cornes is only one of 10 selectors and did not have the final say on any players picked or not picked. He gave his thoughts on Gryan Miers, Tim Taranto, Nic Newman and others, and also explained the selection of Patrick Cripps, who was included in the squad.

Sam Taylor (GWS)

“He wasn’t eligible because he didn’t play enough games.”

Simple as that, unfortunately for Sam. When he did play, he was pretty clearly the best KPD in the game this year.
Nic Newman (Carlton)

“You might be surprised to know the footy club didn’t nominate Newman. That was the case and if you’re not nominated by your club, it makes it hard.

“When the AFL goes to the club and says, ‘who is worthy of All-Australian selection this year?’, and you can nominate as many as you want… for him to not get mentioned by his own club says I think a little bit about his season, particularly the start to his season.”

:eek:

Nic Newman (Carlton)

“You might be surprised to know the footy club didn’t nominate Newman. That was the case and if you’re not nominated by your club, it makes it hard.

“When the AFL goes to the club and says, ‘who is worthy of All-Australian selection this year?’, and you can nominate as many as you want… for him to not get mentioned by his own club says I think a little bit about his season, particularly the start to his season.”

:eek:
Yeah, saw that - really surprised as he did have a very good year. Should check what the Carlton board has to say - they were very bullish on him.

All-Australian forward line​

There’s no shortage of firepower in the 2023 All-Australian forward line, with Connor Rozee, Taylor Walker, Christian Petracca, Charlie Cameron, Charlie Curnow and Toby Greene named.

EDIT: Toby also named as captain!!

Congratulations Toby!

Last edited:
Congratulations Toby Greene - AA Team for 2023, and AA Captain!

2023 AA Team.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back