Unofficial Preview 2023 Grand Final Week - Brownlow Medal + Collingwood versus Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
OK, so we're out of the GF, and probably no-one gives much of a s**t about the GF now. However, one of our most loyal dual members, dlanod still has his other team in the GF. It's Brisbane Lions against the team that gets everything laid on for them by VFL House, and still spiritually led by the whinging flog Eddie McGuire, so I think we should all support him and the Lions next week.

Let's use this thread for all things GF to talk about, or more generally, all things anti-Collingwood.

There's also the Brownlow Medal night this week. No Giant is going close to the award because the umps all are biased against us, but let's wish the boys well. I reckon that Tom Green might (rightfully) poll reasonably well, although is ineligible due to that moronic suspension. Cogs and Chook might take a few points here and there, Toby probably gets a few - but much fewer than he deserves, but the maggots will refuse to reward him I'm sure. Also, what's the bet that Sam Taylor polls a big fat duck egg despite being a superb tall defender during the year (except for his injury weeks).

Finally, I think the coach of the year gets named this week too. Surely Adam Kingsley polls in the top 3. If it was fairly judged, he would win, having taken the team from bottom 3 to top 4. But the #VICBIAS judge will probably reward the coach that took his team from 3rd to 2nd or 1st (wow, that's a massive achievement), or from 6th to 2nd/1st. Let's talk about that!

Open forum, over to you ...

However, one of our most loyal dual members, @dlanod still has his other team in the GF.
I remember when this board was created. I didn't post immediately because I wasn't prepared to swap my team over. Last time I checked though I might be the first poster who's still active on here.

Seriously devastated that I couldn't get a Giants v Lions GF. My 10 year old was so keen on coming along to a GF with me this time now that she's playing U10s.

GWS bit from Club-by-club guide: Every team's best Brownlow chance, top three:

Best Chance: Toby Greene
There was good reason for Greene's selection as All-Australian captain. The Giants skipper enjoyed a career-best year, kicking 60 goals for the first time and still managing to impact games in many other ways. Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelly were also strong, while Tom Green is ineligible, but expect the classy Giants forward to be the side's leading contender.

One-Vote Wonder: Jake Riccardi (Round 14 v Fremantle)
After being dropped earlier in the season, the Giants forward found form by kicking five goals from 15 disposals and eight marks in a big win over the Dockers. Should he be rewarded for his efforts, it would be Riccardi's first career Brownlow votes.

Brownlow Predictor
21 - Tom Green*
16 - Stephen Coniglio, Toby Greene
10 - Josh Kelly

Sportsbet Most Team Votes
$1.52 - Toby Greene
$4 - Tom Green
$7 - Stephen Coniglio

Predicted Team Votes: 73

2022 Most Votes: Josh Kelly (13 votes)

Ineligible: Tom Green, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield, Nick Haynes, Toby Bedford, Brent Daniels

Previous Winners: Nil

Up the Lions!!!! Will be barracking hard dlanod for you guys. I like the Lions and in fact all the northern teams (less the ducks!)
If it’s not us, then I’m all on the Suns and Lions!
Hope you belt them around the park. Can’t wait to see Eddie’s tears and the ferals around the ground when you do!!

Lachie Neale wins his second Brownlow Medal.

Well done to Neale who really should have won last year but the count was honestly a disgrace. There were numerous examples where players polled in games where they did not even come close to earning a vote.

I think this years count will cause the AFL to rethink it. Tom Green will win a Brownlow regardless, as will Daicos and Gulden.

Well done to Neale who really should have won last year but the count was honestly a disgrace. There were numerous examples where players polled in games where they did not even come close to earning a vote.

I think this years count will cause the AFL to rethink it. Tom Green will win a Brownlow regardless, as will Daicos and Gulden.
I don't see this year as being any different to any year in the past 30. There's always been ridiculous examples of votes that can be pulled out one way or another.

Bontempelli couldn't lead a winning team. Petracca had a massive form fade through half the year. Gulden I feel the worst for because it felt like his rep only caught up part way through the year otherwise he would have had a real sniff. Daicos obviously got injured. Neale had some dominant spells but even in his down spells he was generally at least impacting the game. I think he Bradburyed it, but it's inevitable with the 3-2-1, all games are equal model that one or more favourites will get an unexpected bump.

So how quick is Harry Rowston?

I remember one year we put up big Sauce Phillips, so we obviously don’t take it seriously, but surely Snooze, or Bings would be our quickest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how quick is Harry Rowston?

I remember one year we put up big Sauce Phillips, so we obviously don’t take it seriously, but surely Snooze, or Bings would be our quickest.
He was top 10 in the agility run at his draft combine, but I don't know what his 20m sprint time was (not top 10!): so, suggest he's not a slouch but not that quick.

Maybe it was an opportunity to give expenses-paid trip to Melbun & GF ticket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back