GFL 2012 gfl player movements

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so it is a bit quiet for early Feburary. Has anyone got any news on clubs like St Albans and North Shore?? Are they recruiting or will they be down the bottom of the table again?

Haven't heard much out of Leopold, Joeys and of course Colac who no one hears about.

Obviously Newtown have recruited extremely well, Bell park i hear haven't really lost or gained anyone except for the losses of the two afl rookie boys. South havent heard anything apart from Buckland and Sullivan out aswell as the Mawson brothers, gained Stavenuiter back. Lara recruited heavily as has Geelong West. And St Marys haven't lost or gained anyone i don't think. Grovey lost players and gained a couple of depth players, will be down the bottom end again.

Anybody else no anything??

Also just seen on the clearances on Football Geelong that St Albans coach Matt Cavedon has been cleared to the northern territory league...anybody know whats going on there?

West Saints have Jonathon Brown's brother playing for them this season. Looks like he goes to the same barber as his brother.

West seem to be building up a bit of a Warnambool connection down there which will be interesting to see what quality of players they can bring in over the next few season.

Too bad they lost their best player to Werribee though.

Ok so it is a bit quiet for early Feburary. Has anyone got any news on clubs like St Albans and North Shore?? Are they recruiting or will they be down the bottom of the table again?

Also just seen on the clearances on Football Geelong that St Albans coach Matt Cavedon has been cleared to the northern territory league...anybody know whats going on there?

im pretty sure Cavedon is just playing in darwin in the off season and will be back to coach st albans this season. I think he may have recruited 1 or 2 while up there too

West Saints has also picked up 2011 HFNL Maskell Medallist Rhys Raymond, ruckman from Warrnambool Blues, the twist is that he broke his ankle last week, out for 12 weeks. St Mary's picked up a handy HFNL midfielder from Koroit Saints, Issac Templeton. Good league down there fellas!!

I'm a realist, I don't expect any monetary offers, I am simply looking for a new club. I would ideally love to be staying with my old club but I need to move to geelong for the course I am currently studying at deakin. There are no suspect motives behind anything I am trying to do here, simply a way of trying to get into contact with clubs within the league so I can find a new place to play footy.

Have you signed anywhere ?? Nth shore have 4 young deakin students who Love the club

Ben Raidme will play for sth barwon when not playing at geelong vfl. I no it may only be a handful of games but a big loss for grovedale who can't afford to lose talent like Ben

Ben Raidme will play for sth barwon when not playing at geelong vfl. I no it may only be a handful of games but a big loss for grovedale who can't afford to lose talent like Ben

Story of Grovedale! lose a hell of a lot of players for some strange reason.

Off the top of my head players they have lost in the past 5 - 10 years that are proven GFL players are the likes of Barrow, Mensch, Primus, Davenport, Raidme, Baars, Waldron, Bruhn, Barrett, Brenton Riordon, Larcombe, Gleeson, Fletcher. Got to be a reason for all these departures, then you add on all the juniors that leave and the fringe players that leave, very big turnover of players the last decade.

Ottens must be getting a big pay packet in NSW!!!

Story of Grovedale! lose a hell of a lot of players for some strange reason.

Off the top of my head players they have lost in the past 5 - 10 years that are proven GFL players are the likes of Barrow, Mensch, Primus, Davenport, Raidme, Baars, Waldron, Bruhn, Barrett, Brenton Riordon, Larcombe, Gleeson, Fletcher. Got to be a reason for all these departures, then you add on all the juniors that leave and the fringe players that leave, very big turnover of players the last decade.

Ottens must be getting a big pay packet in NSW!!!

Mate if you want to get on here continually s**t canning the footy club, you could at least stop making things up. Barrow, Gleeson, Mensch, Primus and Bruhn were all finished at gfl level when they left Grovedale and had all given great service to the club for a number of years. As far as I'm aware RIordan hasn't left yet either? And Barrett is back there this year.

What I agree with you tho and it's really poor form IMO is other blokes that have left the club to go play at rival gfl that are up the top of the ladder. These blokes are quick to sook and whinge about things never changing etc up there, yet instead of sticking around and trying to build something, they just took the easy option and pissed off to other gfl clubs. I'd personally never welcome these guys back to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Raidme to South Barwon

I wouldn't look too much into it as a leaving Grovedale thing, anyone who is pushing for VFL selection is pushed to play for either South Barwon or Bell Park as a way of maintaining training standard.

VFL Coach Amos has been a major coup for South Barwon in terms of recruiting.
Two recent examples of players hoping to play VFL moving there for that reason are Mitch Herbison (Barwon Heads) & this year Seb Kent (Anglesea).

I don't think it has much to do with Grovedale, but more Ben trying to further his career

Re: Raidme to South Barwon

I wouldn't look too much into it as a leaving Grovedale thing, anyone who is pushing for VFL selection is pushed to play for either South Barwon or Bell Park as a way of maintaining training standard.

VFL Coach Amos has been a major coup for South Barwon in terms of recruiting.
Two recent examples of players hoping to play VFL moving there for that reason are Mitch Herbison (Barwon Heads) & this year Seb Kent (Anglesea).

I don't think it has much to do with Grovedale, but more Ben trying to further his career

I'd say they're more basically told that if they want to have any chance of cracking it at Geelong then they'll have to sign at South. Since Amos became coach of the vfl side, it's given South an unfair advantage over other clubs because these kids are pretty much told they'll have to sign with South as well. It may come across as whinging but I know that some clubs have missed out on exciting bfl kids coz of the Geelong vfl/ South connection.

I'd say they're more basically told that if they want to have any chance of cracking it at Geelong then they'll have to sign at South. Since Amos became coach of the vfl side, it's given South an unfair advantage over other clubs because these kids are pretty much told they'll have to sign with South as well. It may come across as whinging but I know that some clubs have missed out on exciting bfl kids coz of the Geelong vfl/ South connection.

It is definitely an advantage for South Barwon having Amos in that position, there have been several players who have completed VFL pre-season and then returned to South Barwon at the final cut when otherwise they may not have been invited to VFL pre-season.

An example would be Biemans, who while being a talented junior, wouldn't have been considered for VFL until Amos was in that position. All credit to him though, he's developed into a fine player.

Mate if you want to get on here continually s**t canning the footy club, you could at least stop making things up. Barrow, Gleeson, Mensch, Primus and Bruhn were all finished at gfl level when they left Grovedale and had all given great service to the club for a number of years. As far as I'm aware RIordan hasn't left yet either? And Barrett is back there this year.

What I agree with you tho and it's really poor form IMO is other blokes that have left the club to go play at rival gfl that are up the top of the ladder. These blokes are quick to sook and whinge about things never changing etc up there, yet instead of sticking around and trying to build something, they just took the easy option and pissed off to other gfl clubs. I'd personally never welcome these guys back to the club.

I'm not canning the club mate im just saying players don't stick around for whatever reason and it's really disappointing because over the last decade if you had every side name a team of the decade that played for the club, Grovedale would be right up their in the top 3 or 4 IMO but yet haven't really come close to finals except for maybe a couple of times.

Yes your probably correct about those players but why haven't they stayed on as part of the coaching scene or committee scene to help out and stay involved in the club? this is what I'm asking i know they go down a level and get a coaching gig somewhere but i haven't seen any of them try and come back and help out in any way or try to coach the club, except for Davenport which never eventuated.

I don't really agree with Gleeson being finished at this level by the way and Menschy still woulda been handy out of full forward. Not sure about Riordon heard his gone to Ballarat.

Yep agree with Gleeson not being finished at this level, I accidentally left him out of my original post and just put him that list at the last minute.

You are right tho, since 2000 grovey have had some of the best players in the comp ( Bruhn, Barrow, Mensch and O'Brien ) and for whatever reason they really never played together. I know the club is trying very hard to change the perception that they have around Geelong and particulary the gfl but unfortunately it makes it hard to recruit blokes when we haven't had much success for awhile. Hopefully they can build on and hold onto the current group of kids we have at the club now, hopefully get a few guys back in the coming years who are currently playing higher levels of footy and become a consistently strong and competitive gfl club.

Yep agree with Gleeson not being finished at this level, I accidentally left him out of my original post and just put him that list at the last minute.

You are right tho, since 2000 grovey have had some of the best players in the comp ( Bruhn, Barrow, Mensch and O'Brien ) and for whatever reason they really never played together. I know the club is trying very hard to change the perception that they have around Geelong and particulary the gfl but unfortunately it makes it hard to recruit blokes when we haven't had much success for awhile. Hopefully they can build on and hold onto the current group of kids we have at the club now, hopefully get a few guys back in the coming years who are currently playing higher levels of footy and become a consistently strong and competitive gfl club.

Grovedale will never be good the club. They have been the same for over 30 yrs they also seem to be all talk no action coming out of that sh#t hole of a club

Grovedale will never be good the club. They have been the same for over 30 yrs they also seem to be all talk no action coming out of that sh#t hole of a club

Hey Captain Air Bags,
Learn how to compose a sentence and make some grammatical sense before coming on here and canning clubs.

Picklehead !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back