2012 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Some interesting names popping up in the combine results - http://www.afl.com.au/Offseason/DraftCombine/Latestresults/tabid/18439/Default.aspx

Brodie Murdoch performed well in the Beep Test, Goal Kicking Test & Kicking Test.

Dean Towers performed well in the Repeat Sprints, 20 Metre Sprint & Standing Vertical Leap (top).

Jesse Lonergan performed well Repeat Sprints, Running Vertical Leap, Standing Vertical Leap, Agility Test & Goal Kicking Test (equal top)

Jake Stringer did well in Goal Kicking (equal top) & Clean Hands Test.

Tim Broomhead did well in Repeat Sprints & Goal Kicking Test.

Jordon Bourke performed well in Agility Test, 20 Metre Sprints & Clean Hands Test.

I'm looking forward to this trade period finishing to know not only whether we gain Caddy but also to know what picks we have to work with come draft time. It's hard to know really what strategy we will have at the moment with so much up in the air. The players you guys have mentioned are all worthy of consideration but most are more 2nd round types - will we retain a pick high enough to get any of them (aside from our first rounder which would be presumably used on a higher rated player) . Furthermore really should we be looking to trade this pick out when it appears that there is some really good talented kids available at this stage of the draft?

I'm looking forward to this trade period finishing to know not only whether we gain Caddy but also to know what picks we have to work with come draft time. It's hard to know really what strategy we will have at the moment with so much up in the air. The players you guys have mentioned are all worthy of consideration but most are more 2nd round types - will we retain a pick high enough to get any of them (aside from our first rounder which would be presumably used on a higher rated player) . Furthermore really should we be looking to trade this pick out when it appears that there is some really good talented kids available at this stage of the draft?

I certainly don't know our gameplan. It seems like we could easily go a few different ways. Considering we still need to add and rebuild over the next 2-3 years , id be shocked if we took only 1 pick. How many Rookies we elevate? How many trade we complete? How many FA's we sign...lots of irons in the fire atm.

Anyone seen this Josh Kelly kid play?

Yeah mate, seen him 3 or 4 times now. He is a jet. Can play inside and outside, has a great combination of speed and endurance. Right in contention with Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan to be taken in the mini draft.

Budda care to say he is similar to...... ( say Cotchin and I'm in)

I've asked around and it seems he's an inside midfielder in the same way Dal Santo is. Not a bash and crash player more the smooth mover. NEat disposal rather than the super elite foot category Dal Santo's in but he's apparently still very clean and finds more time than others. He also obviously has a superb engine.

I've asked around and it seems he's an inside midfielder in the same way Dal Santo is. Not a bash and crash player more the smooth mover. NEat disposal rather than the super elite foot category Dal Santo's in but he's apparently still very clean and finds more time than others. He also obviously has a superb engine.

Gaff?

Dal Santo is a pretty good comparison. Although I'd describe Kelly as a longer more penetrating kick. He is as skinny as a rake so I'm hoping he can fill out well as he does get knocked off the ball in contests quite a bit. Sits out the back of stoppages quite a bit. Not sure if that is an instruction or what.

One thing he doesn't seem to get much recognition for is his overhead marking. He seems to have long arms (could be an optical illusion from being so thin) and the ball sticks more often than not. Very good prospect.

The way we are going we might only have 1 live pick. Stringer will be one selection since he has been elevated. List space at a premium...

We've been taking as a given that Walker will be upgraded to the senior list next year. I'm starting to think there's a legitimate possibility he won't be elevated - particularly if McIntosh and Rivers come on board, the list squeeze will be squeezed like never before - which would mean the club might be considering either trading Walker or retaining him as a rookie for another season.

The way we are going we might only have 1 live pick. Stringer will be one selection since he has been elevated. List space at a premium...
Pretty sure we have to have at least two - only one rookie elevation can count into the mandated three.

At this stage it's 4 places - Wojo, Scarlett, Byrnes and Hogan. Caddy and Stringer means there's two places left, so if we didn't do anything else for the rest of the trade period we'd be fine. You'd think McIntosh would come in at the expense of Orren who is out of contract, and Rivers would come in for Gillies (god I hope not). That still leaves us good, provided we don't elevate anyone else. I wonder if a fall back option for players like Burbury and Walker is the promise of a Majak Daw-style deal where a two year contract is offered with one year on the rookie list and the other on the senior list.

I'd prefer to trade Brown and upgrade Walker. I think there maybe even is an outside chance we delist Cowan and upgrade Burbury or Simpkin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is not what many posters think - but I reckon keep Burbury as a rookie and delist/trade Simpkin and Sheringham. Walker and Burbury IMO have more potential. Maybe only one needs to be traded.

By trading these guys (to help these guys like we did with King - do it for nothing just to make sure they get another chance at another team) - we open up the rookie list. It does not help however with the tight squeeze in the senior list.

Pretty sure we have to have at least two - only one rookie elevation can count into the mandated three.

At this stage it's 4 places - Wojo, Scarlett, Byrnes and Hogan. Caddy and Stringer means there's two places left, so if we didn't do anything else for the rest of the trade period we'd be fine. You'd think McIntosh would come in at the expense of Orren who is out of contract, and Rivers would come in for Gillies (god I hope not). That still leaves us good, provided we don't elevate anyone else. I wonder if a fall back option for players like Burbury and Walker is the promise of a Majak Daw-style deal where a two year contract is offered with one year on the rookie list and the other on the senior list.

Jes can you explain the GC draft last year. It appears to me that had one pick , once you exclude Mini, Rookie Prom and Zones.
To me it seems 1 pick is acceptable

I know this is not what many posters think - but I reckon keep Burbury as a rookie and delist/trade Simpkin and Sheringham. Walker and Burbury IMO have more potential. Maybe only one needs to be traded.

By trading these guys (to help these guys like we did with King - do it for nothing just to make sure they get another chance at another team) - we open up the rookie list. It does not help however with the tight squeeze in the senior list.
Where have you been? Everyone wants to keep Burbury...or do you mean keep him on as a rookie??

I'm in agreement on Simpkin & Sherringham...I think both can offer other clubs something but not too sure anyone will bite.

If anything I'm probably in the monority in that I'd look to trade out Burbury.

Where have you been? Everyone wants to keep Burbury...or do you mean keep him on as a rookie??

I'm in agreement on Simpkin & Sherringham...I think both can offer other clubs something but not too sure anyone will bite.

If anything I'm probably in the monority in that I'd look to trade out Burbury.

I think he means elevate him.

I think he means elevate him.
I guess he did. But Burbury ain't going to be elevated with list space the way it is. As such, I'd be looking to move him on. There seems to be enough "buzz" about him to generate a trade (or part of a piece).

I've said a few times, I don't think it would be a massive loss for us, a win for Burbury (as he'll get a crack at it) and may be a win for a club that takes the punt on him.

But he just hasn't rocked my world when I've watched him. I didn't even think he was that great in the VFL GF (although that was the best game I've seen him play to date). Perhaps I don't see enough VFL but I'd almost describe him as flukey.

And by that I mean - shifting constantly form wise to the point you don't know what you're going to get with him.

It probably stems from the fact he didn't take footy seriously until late (compared to others).

I just feel he is one we could cut loose in a win-win scenario.

I guess he did. But Burbury ain't going to be elevated with list space the way it is. As such, I'd be looking to move him on. There seems to be enough "buzz" about him to generate a trade (or part of a piece).

I've said a few times, I don't think it would be a massive loss for us, a win for Burbury (as he'll get a crack at it) and may be a win for a club that takes the punt on him.

But he just hasn't rocked my world when I've watched him. I didn't even think he was that great in the VFL GF (although that was the best game I've seen him play to date). Perhaps I don't see enough VFL but I'd almost describe him as flukey.

And by that I mean - shifting constantly form wise to the point you don't know what you're going to get with him.

It probably stems from the fact he didn't take footy seriously until late (compared to others).

I just feel he is one we could cut loose in a win-win scenario.

Its a funny one with Burbury the way i see it why would GFC draft him for 2 years and then look to move him on knowing full well that he has alot more upside with the limited games he has played before he came to us? Maybe he is just scratching the surface and his development will be an upward spike.
Its definitely a tough one because he does alot of the geelong things well.

I think Burbury this the very definition of what the Rookie List is about JDS. To give guys a taste of it and allowing clubs to see what they can do without taking up a spot on the senior list.

The fact they have 3 years on the list suggests the AFL believes a club should know what they have by the end of the 3rd year.

I can see Burbury has a few tricks but sometimes you just have to strike while the iron is hot.

Has he done enough to go up...many on this board would say yes.

Personally, I'm not sold.

Happy for him to remain rookied but if another club offered him a chance I'd say let him walk and see if he can make it.

I think Burbury this the very definition of what the Rookie List is about JDS. To give guys a taste of it and allowing clubs to see what they can do without taking up a spot on the senior list.

The fact they have 3 years on the list suggests the AFL believes a club should know what they have by the end of the 3rd year.

I can see Burbury has a few tricks but sometimes you just have to strike while the iron is hot.

Has he done enough to go up...many on this board would say yes.

Personally, I'm not sold.

Happy for him to remain rookied but if another club offered him a chance I'd say let him walk and see if he can make it.

Can hear where you are coming from Piv , what do you think we can get. Like to grab a pick of GWS but with so much talent would he interest them? He is very different to most of their players.

Can hear where you are coming from Piv , what do you think we can get. Like to grab a pick of GWS but with so much talent would he interest them? He is very different to most of their players.
Probably the wrong guy to ask as my opinion of him isn't that high. I'd think he'd be worth something in the 50s but his value my be more in bundling with a pick to make the pick more attractive.

Let's face it, he performed at the right time - the VFL Grand Final - so that might bump his value a bit and a club with a lot of picks might be prepare to pay overs for him.

I just don't know. Maybe he'd fall roughly between what I think of him and someone who has a man-crush on him.

Probably the wrong guy to ask as my opinion of him isn't that high. I'd think he'd be worth something in the 50s but his value my be more in bundling with a pick to make the pick more attractive.

Let's face it, he performed at the right time - the VFL Grand Final - so that might bump his value a bit and a club with a lot of picks might be prepare to pay overs for him.

I just don't know. Maybe he'd fall roughly between what I think of him and someone who has a man-crush on him.

Im wondering if we add him to our P15 what and who would be interested below us?
For that matter , R1 and Simpkin to StKilda for Goddard comp ..P13 ish

P13 & Burbury to Carlton for p11.

I can see us doing much more than marginal gains

I can't see Simpkin coming into club's calculations unless it was for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I might be wrong but I view him as serviceable at senior level and that's about as far as it goes. That isn't to say he couldn't find a home but I don't think bundling him (or Burbury for that matter) is going to make someone slip down the ladder of the first round.

But it would be worth tossing the idea around to see if anyone bites, especially if someone has made enquiries.

I think if you have any chance of upgrading a first round pick it would be with GWS. Picks 12 or 13 may be attainable if you offered the right package. Though to go from 15 to 12? It's a bit unusual to do a deal just to go up 3 picks. If we received a pick around 25 during the trade period and were prepared to offer up Horlin-Smith, we may be able to upgrade that one of those 12/13 picks perhaps.

Personally I'd prefer to keep H-S and see if he can become part of our midfield rotation for the next 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back