FTA-TV 2012 Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I'd like to respond to the others (some of you definitely deserve a smack), there's too many of you.

Yes. In fact, I'll say some, if not all, are worse.

Regular crowds at up to 70k? Every now and then, maybe. Regular crowds of 20k- is more accurate. Hence, unlike all the RL stadiums in Sydney, it is not in use anymore.

"Lower" than typical footy crowds. This is seen as a weakness. I'm not sure the people the AFL are trying to attract in NSW/QLD give a s*** about this stat.

So, are you saying Brisbanites don't really care about League?...Go on, I dare you, or anybody else, to state that.

Anyway, what does it say about footy when the Broncos are so much more popular over there, when a Brisbane V/AFL team is older than the Broncos? Consider, that both the Gabba and Suncorp are similar in capacity. Both are the only team in town for both codes. How much the Lions have to rely on ex-pats

This actually may be a point.

Yet, footy isn't popular in Sydney/NSW.
You don't even fill your current stadiums. :rolleyes: even games at centrally located larger stadiums are poorly attended. Why do the swans out draw all Sydney NRL teams especially since up until this year they haven't played in local derbies? :confused:

In 1993 Waverley park, in the outer fringes of Melbournes suburban fringe, averaged 28k and had 3 games above 40k. The crowds still turned up in excellent numbers despite the difficulty getting there, the remote location, and poor weather in this part of Melbourne. Meanwhile stadium Australia only averaged 17k last year! :rolleyes:

I will also state Brisbane are indifferent about RL when compared to say Perth. The broncos have 20k members and average low 30's crowds per fortnight. Meanwhile the AFL in Perth have 100k members and average over 70k crowds per fortnight, despite being a smaller city! :rolleyes:

No one is suggesting the AFL is more popular than RL in Brisbane, but for a supposed RL heartland the broncose are marginally above the lions in attendance and memberships when both teams are sitting in similar positions on their respective ladders.

The AFL could be the number 2 sport in NSW and QLD by attendance membership and TV. The NRL barely registers in Melbourne and is non existent in SA WA and Tas.

You don't even fill your current stadiums. :rolleyes: even games at centrally located larger stadiums are poorly attended. Why do the swans out draw all Sydney NRL teams especially since up until this year they haven't played in local derbies? :confused:

I will also state Brisbane are indifferent about RL when compared to say Perth. The broncos have 20k members and average low 30's crowds per fortnight. Meanwhile the AFL in Perth have 100k members and average over 70k crowds per fortnight, despite being a smaller city! :rolleyes:

The AFL could be the number 2 sport in NSW and QLD by attendance membership and TV. The NRL barely registers in Melbourne and is non existent in SA WA and Tas.
Not to mention that just about every game at Subiaco Oval is sold out and the West Coast Eagles have a waiting list of 10000 for ticketed memberships! It's quite easy to say that AFL is much more popular in its heart land states than nRL is in its heartland states. It's also clear that AFL is more popular in NSW and QLD than nRL is in Vic, SA, WA, Tas and NT combined!!!

Pretty good result considering the margin.
Not bad, yeah. A little disappointed that Melbourne's figure wasn't over 300,000. Hard to judge though with Fox Footy ratings a) not available yet and b) Fox Footy ratings don't show the 5 city audiences.

I will also state Brisbane are indifferent about RL when compared to say Perth. The broncos have 20k members and average low 30's crowds per fortnight. Meanwhile the AFL in Perth have 100k members and average over 70k crowds per fortnight, despite being a smaller city!

I wouldn't say they are indifferent up here. The Broncos fans are quite passionate and vocal, but the sporting culture isn't comparable to Melbourne where the vast majority of people have measurable interest in the footy.

It's hazardous to compare the Brisbane and Melbourne participatory culture because they are significantly different. I would also hazard to compare the membership and attendance figures because for the same reason. League membership isn't traditional of the sport, but 30,000 crowds ARE an anamoly in the realm of league and are quite commendable, all things considered.

The Broncos as a club, and as a collective, genuinely have no cause to be mocked, or even casually derided.

No one is suggesting the AFL is more popular than RL in Brisbane, but for a supposed RL heartland the broncose are marginally above the lions in attendance and memberships when both teams are sitting in similar positions on their respective ladders.

I'd be interested to see how the popularity of the Bronco's was affected by a season where they finished in the lower half of the table. It's happened once in what, 17 years? I suspect not much.

Not bad, yeah. A little disappointed that Melbourne's figure wasn't over 300,000. Hard to judge though with Fox Footy ratings a) not available yet and b) Fox Footy ratings don't show the 5 city audiences.

True, but for some reason Carlton don't seem to be a huge rating team in Melbourne. It'd be good to see the average rating for each half as well, it wouldn't surprise me if it was close to 800k for the first half. No doubt if the game was close 7 would have got an average of 700k+.

But assuming 200k watched on Fox, that's well over 100k more than the audience that watched the equivalent game (Brisbane v St Kilda) last year. Even in Brisbane there was probably a larger audience as it's likely more than 20k watched on Fox, which is remarkable given it was on 7's main channel last year.

It's what I expected. Unless your a Carlton supporter, you would not show much interest early after the first few minutes of the third quarter. Well done for 57k people in Brisbane who stayed watching. There must of been a few Carlton supporters who moved from Victoria to Brisbane.

Last night`s game was the first of many one sided thumpings. People are not going to stick around and watch these maulings, well done afl , you have created this mess. The lack of talent available to mid-table and lower finishing clubs is creating the haves and have nots. It`s a good time to be good and a bad time to be bad.

It's what I expected. Unless your a Carlton supporter, you would not show much interest early after the first few minutes of the third quarter. Well done for 57k people in Brisbane who stayed watching. There must of been a few Carlton supporters who moved from Victoria to Brisbane.

Who knows there might have been 100K watching the first half and then almost nothing watching the second half.

Mediaweek twitter:

Wedensday Shows
Wed TV sport: @TheAFLFootyShow 429k (Mel 284k Ade 80k Per 64k) @marngrook 53k @AFL360 117k live+rpt #OpenMike 74k #NRLonFOX 56k TheClub 36k

Thursday night
Thu #AFL Seven/7mate #afllionsblues 603k (Syd 27k Mel 293k Bri 56k Ade 126k Per 101k)

Thu #NRL @TheFootyShowNRL 226k (Syd 153k Bri 73k) (+Late Mel 18k Ade 7k Per 6k) #NBL 14k

Friday
Fri TV #NRL night 666k (Syd 390k Bri 275k) Arvo 490k (Syd 329k Bri 161k)

Fri TV #NRL on GEM
Arvo 53k (Mel 16k Ade 21k Per 16k)
Night 56k (Mel 36k Ade 5k Per 15k)

no AFL matches at all.

I think holy Thursday is a bad night for footy, as a lot of people are out on the road, making way to their Easter getaways.

It's fair to say, that radio ratings are probably higher for this particular match, I know I was tuned in whilst on the road.

Im surprised its a high as it is considering it was a s**t of a game after 1/2 time I turned off myself!

Last night`s game was the first of many one sided thumpings. People are not going to stick around and watch these maulings, well done afl , you have created this mess. The lack of talent available to mid-table and lower finishing clubs is creating the haves and have nots. It`s a good time to be good and a bad time to be bad.

There is NO talent shortage. There is a lack of sustainable talent at the Under 18 level because every idiot recruiter and match committee is out there trying to nab the next big young thing. This is slowly being turned around a little as people realise that there is actually talent floating around the state leagues.

Lack of talent is not the issue. Its the inability of recruiters to recruit people over the age of 20 thats the problem.

By putting two new clubs in highly-populated areas that don't receive much football, the AFL can potentially benefit 10, 15, 20 years down the track by turning these youngsters into players to add into the talent pool. It's short-term pain for a long-term gain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Existing clubs that are abominably s**t aren't like that because of the 2 new teams. Hell, how many top draft picks have Melbourne had again? Jack Watts FFS.....:rolleyes:

Number of teams has no relationship to spread of talent. We could have 8 teams and it's just as likely 1/4 of the teams are going to be woeful.

FTA TV ratings #AFL afternoon 403k (Syd 30k Mel 149k Bri 22k Ade 84k Per 118k) Seven/7mate

FTA TV ratings #AFL Night 756k (Syd 52k Mel 385k Bri 44k Ade 115k Per 160k) Seven7/7mate

MediaweekAUS

Pretty decent ratings for the evening really, especially given foxtel had two games and they would probably rate over 300k together.

Yeterdays ratings
Code:
Home  Away  Total  Syd  Melb Bris Adel Per
Ess   Port   255    -   149  22   84    - 
Syd   Fre    170   52    -    -    -   118
WCE   Melb   160    -    -    -    -   160
Coll  Rich   459   30   385  44    -    - 
Adel  WBD    115    -    -    -   115   -
-

Interested to know if Channel 7 advertises that they are showing the football on 7mate through their main channel. I certainly know 9 are advertising showing the rugby on Gem through their main channel.

Interested to know if Channel 7 advertises that they are showing the football on 7mate through their main channel. I certainly know 9 are advertising showing the rugby on Gem through their main channel.

Admittedly I don't watch much TV (apart from sports) but I haven't seen any promotion on 7's main channel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back