FTA-TV 2012 Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

I was under the inpression that Freo/Geelong was live on FTA in WA, at least i thought it was.

might of been, thinking about it now, probably was. just getting confused with the Friday night telecast situation most likley.:eek:.

But still people must enjoy ads more than I realise. But if I hear Dennis Commetti say "itunes" one more time i'm going to put my foot through the TV

I was under the inpression that Freo/Geelong was live on FTA in WA, at least i thought it was.
I'm pretty sure all Interstate team games are live or near live in FTA in their respective markets (e.g. Power game into Adelaide last night on FTA - even though it was a Fox game)

If that is the case, not surprising that the Freo v Geelong game rated poorly on Fox - as it was on FTA in both WA and VIC. In fact it was...I just checked...it rated 166k in Perth and 340k in Melbourne. Even 36k on 7mate in Sydney

All of a sudden, that poor rating game on Fox had a national rating of 664k, not including FTA regionals. Pretty good result for 1 of 2 games on a Saturday night.

Live games across the nation were always going to have a significant effect. I'm not sure why anyone would believe differently.

Whether a 45 per cent increase is sustainable across the year is another story, particularly since the round one numbers were propped up by having the Sydney vs GWS game on a different weekend.

I actually see your point, with live games (almost live in WA-fri night.), dream teamers etc watching, close games, but 45% is going to be pretty hard to hold.

Fox ratings are national which means they are metro and regional combined. You don't know what the metro total was.

This is true. I need to stop doing this after I finish work in the morning *sigh*. It should be noted that the % ratings increase stands though, even without regional FTA, as the record figure, as well as 2011 round 1 figures, includes metro and fox.

Top 10 Subcription Sports Broadcasts (from Astra via Throng)

1 LIVE: NRL WESTS TIGERS V RAIDERS FOX SPORTS 2 Mon 19:00
2 LIVE: AFL HAWTHORN V COLLINGWOOD FOX FOOTY Fri 19:30
3 LIVE: NRL EELS V SEA EAGLES FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 19:30
4 LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V SHARKS FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 17:30
5 LIVE: AFL RICHMOND V CARLTON FOX FOOTY Thu 19:30
6 LIVE: NRL STORM V ROOSTERS FOX SPORTS 2 Sun 14:00
7 LIVE: AFL GOLD COAST V ADELAIDE FOX FOOTY Sat 16:30
8 LIVE: AFL NORTH MELBOURNE V ESSENDON FOX FOOTY Sat 19:30
9 LIVE: AFL MELBOURNE V LIONS FOX FOOTY Sat 13:30
10 LIVE: NRL MONDAY POST GAME SHOW FOX SPORTS 2 Mon 20:49

Is anyone aware of fox ratings split my metro/country or by state/city?

Unless so, you will never be able to accurately say how many people were watching a game of footy in a particular market ever again (as all games are on fox)

I actually see your point, with live games (almost live in WA-fri night.), dream teamers etc watching, close games, but 45% is going to be pretty hard to hold.

yea, but the 45% is not reality as the previous broadcast agreement meant some viewers werent properly captured.

For example, the current 7mate NSW and QLD games were previously shown on Main Event in QLD, but this channel didnt release ratings?

The Friday night game in Perth, whilst delayed everywhere, started only 15 or so minutes later on fox (east coast replay after game ended), and finished earlier (no breaks between quarters) so many WA viewers with fox would watch that ad free.

etc

But this current one is also hard - ie yesterday, the Port v St. Kilda game drew 260k in fox, but do we have the figures for 7 Adelaide who was the only metro market taking that game?

Same for the west coast-footscray game before it, 7 Perth took it.

yea, but the 45% is not reality as the previous broadcast agreement meant some viewers werent properly captured.

For example, the current 7mate NSW and QLD games were previously shown on Main Event in QLD, but this channel didnt release ratings?

The Friday night game in Perth, whilst delayed everywhere, started only 15 or so minutes later on fox (east coast replay after game ended), and finished earlier (no breaks between quarters) so many WA viewers with fox would watch that ad free.

etc

But this current one is also hard - ie yesterday, the Port v St. Kilda game drew 260k in fox, but do we have the figures for 7 Adelaide who was the only metro market taking that game?

Same for the west coast-footscray game before it, 7 Perth took it.

FTA, WCE 176k and PA 132k in their respective markets.

https://twitter.com/#!/MediaweekAUS

WCE 176k and PA 132k on FTA puts the total figure without regional FTA at 5.253 million. (A 2.086 million increase on last years round 1 or a 65% increase)

Incredible, 2 miilion + people did not start watching the footy this week, either the ratings were very very wrong to begin with, or the ratings were very very wrong to begin with ;);)

Top 5 STV Channels

FOX FOOTY
FOX SPORTS 2
FOX8*
The LifeStyle Channel*

Note also that yesterdays 2 games are not counted and both rated well.

1 LIVE: AFL PORT ADELAIDE V ST KILDA FOX FOOTY 260,000
2 LIVE: AFL BULLDOGS V WEST COAST FOX FOOTY 229,000
3 LIVE: NRL TITANS V BULLDOGS FOX SPORTS 2 222,000

That's great for only 6 games worth that week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 10 Subcription Sports Broadcasts (from Astra via Throng)

1 LIVE: NRL WESTS TIGERS V RAIDERS FOX SPORTS 2 Mon 19:00
2 LIVE: AFL HAWTHORN V COLLINGWOOD FOX FOOTY Fri 19:30
3 LIVE: NRL EELS V SEA EAGLES FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 19:30
4 LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V SHARKS FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 17:30
5 LIVE: AFL RICHMOND V CARLTON FOX FOOTY Thu 19:30
6 LIVE: NRL STORM V ROOSTERS FOX SPORTS 2 Sun 14:00
7 LIVE: AFL GOLD COAST V ADELAIDE FOX FOOTY Sat 16:30
8 LIVE: AFL NORTH MELBOURNE V ESSENDON FOX FOOTY Sat 19:30
9 LIVE: AFL MELBOURNE V LIONS FOX FOOTY Sat 13:30
10 LIVE: NRL MONDAY POST GAME SHOW FOX SPORTS 2 Mon 20:49
Why don't these include Sunday Football? Port v Saints would be third or 4th. Not sure the figure of the nRL game eels v Eagles.

Andy D must be doing cartwheels, what a weekend.

When you think the crowds, all things considered, were the 2nd best for a round of all time with the big four of Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast and Adelaide not having home games, all stakeholders in the game must be just beside themselves.

Amazing what showing a game live, so the AFL, not leeching shows at 7:30 (Looking at you seven), get the ratings they deserve.

Incredible, 2 miilion + people did not start watching the footy this week, either the ratings were very very wrong to begin with, or the ratings were very very wrong to begin with ;);)
thats not what it means.

2 million extra ratings does not mean 2 million extra people watched games this year. it means that 2 million extra games worth of watching was done.

that will be made up of some new people watching some footy, and other people watching more football. that was certainly true for me. because it was all live i watched a heap more that i did last year

remember

- there was an extra game compared to last years round 1. so %12.5 more football happened this year than last
- games were live
- there were a few cracking close games, keeping people tuned right to the end

Great results. The two big questions I had going into this year were:

How many viewers (if any) Fox would steal from FTA; and
What impact (if any) live football would have on attendances.

Waaaaaay to early to answer either question, but the signs after round one are certainly positive.

just speaking personally live football has a massive effect. last year i would put the radio on and listen to the game, and then generally not bother watching the replay full of ads.

im anticipating watching a hell of alot more football this year just because of that.

thats not what it means.

2 million extra ratings does not mean 2 million extra people watched games this year. it means that 2 million extra games worth of watching was done.

that will be made up of some new people watching some footy, and other people watching more football. that was certainly true for me. because it was all live i watched a heap more that i did last year

remember

- there was an extra game compared to last years round 1. so %12.5 more football happened this year than last
- games were live
- there were a few cracking close games, keeping people tuned right to the end
correct. Also last year there were only 4.5 viewable game times per round, because most FTA and PayTV games were shown at the same time. This occurs now but we also fit in 3-4 extra viewable games at different time slots. this is an advantage the NRL has had over us for some time. They can show 7 different game time slots because their games are only 2 hours long. Now we've caught up with this scheduling program the ratings war is going to be a flogging.

Most people ive heard from are also saying the games have been so much entertaining, with a fast flowing game style preferred over the old flooding and chip kicking. If this continues the ratings increase will be enormous!

correct. Also last year there were only 4.5 viewable game times per round, because most FTA and PayTV games were shown at the same time. This occurs now but we also fit in 3-4 extra viewable games at different time slots. this is an advantage the NRL has had over us for some time. They can show 7 different game time slots because their games are only 2 hours long. Now we've caught up with this scheduling program the ratings war is going to be a flogging.

They do the opposite, but 2 games targeted to their 2 markets, then add em together and think they are fooling somebody :p

In all seriousness, it may be a little better but on a typical weekend, we will have the sat arvo 2 games at once, sat night two games at once at the sunday 3 game overlap still happening.

But, there are various things we can do to ensure a further bumper broadcast deal next time, splitting these up, offering Monday/Thursday/Sunday night games etc.

Still amazing that 2 saturday nights in a row, FTA metro and foxtel had a million or so watching AFL at the one time, the deadest night for TV. Great signs.

Most people ive heard from are also saying the games have been so much entertaining, with a fast flowing game style preferred over the old flooding and chip kicking. If this continues the ratings increase will be enormous!
Ratings war will be a flogging once the new teams are bedded down and playing well. A close game is a high rating game - no one likes blowouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back