Opinion 2014-15 Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Its getting ridiculous now how much the game is balanced towards the batsmen, another double hundred, icc needs to address things to help the bowler, pitches and boundaries are the key as well as limiting large bat development.

I dunno how many times that I've said it in this thread over the past 5 months or so, but if the Aussie selectors were serious about picking the best 11 in our TEST team, then Voges just has to be in it. HAS TO BE!

I dunno how many times that I've said it in this thread over the past 5 months or so, but if the Aussie selectors were serious about picking the best 11 in our TEST team, then Voges just has to be in it. HAS TO BE!
He's just not in Voge though.

sorry about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add the 2.1m giant, Mohammed Aamir & Ajmal and we get no where near their Paltry score.
Ajmal should be playing with Phil Taylor at the Ally Pally....Most dubious action I've ever seen

Mohammed Aamir would have made a difference, but with Aussie only chasing 200 odd don't think he would have won the game for them

Martin Guptill

Not the biggest boundaries (very similar in dimensions to Adelaide) .Not that it would have mattered, he was hitting 12's

Best 4 sides have made the semis which is great.
Adam Milne has been ruled out which will hurt us. But do have some handy depth

Still reckon NZ and India will be the final. Nothing has convinced me about Australia's hopes of winning the whole thing.
Really ??!
man you bat down to 11, Got the best quick in the one day game, and got firepower everywhere in the batting, plus you're 2nd best fielding side (im biased !:)) in the comp. You also have a genuine 5th bowler in Watson

what worries you ?!

1987.... 2015 team wins.
1999... 2015 team wins.
2003...close call.
2007... close call.

Warne missed the 2003 WC finals and didn't play in 2007.

The '99 team had Warne and McGrath, but also Moody, Boof, Bevan who would have poo'd their pants facing our current team.

This current side hasn't clicked yet.

Not sure i agree with that.The side with Ponting, Warne, McGrath , Hayden & Gilchrist etc is comfortably better.

They never played in the same WC team.

So yes, those players make our greatest ever team, but you can't add the best players from 3 different teams just to make me sound like a dill.

They never played in the same WC team.

So yes, those players make our greatest ever team, but you can't add the best players from 3 different teams just to make me sound like a dill.
Wasn't trying to make you sound like a dill at all . I Forgot Warne didn't play in 2003 & 2007.
Wasn't 2003 when he was on his mums weight loss programme ?

anyway McGrath, Gilchrist, Ponting, & Hayden did play in both in 2007 & 2003..easy to forget how good that quartet were

It's a different game now anyway.

If the current team travelled back in time, and applied the current approach to the 50 over game to a match in the past, I'm pretty sure they would smash most teams. In a time when scoring 200 or more was a good total, the team of the era where anything less than 280, or doubling your score from the 33 over mark, would win most of the time I would think. T20 has raised the bar for ODI cricket.

However, if Hayden, Ponting, Warne etc were youngsters now, and coming up in an era where more is expected of a ODI side, their talent would possibly get them across the line as individuals, and the team would be stronger. Not saying teams of the past didn't try as hard as they could, but there are now more strategies and methods of batting and indeed bowling deeper than we ever have before.

So in short: Dunno really, hey.

They had the '99 semi on the other night... forgot just how insane that game was.

Warne had 3-15 off 9, ended up with 4-29 but he alone turned the game. 0-43 off 10 chasing 213, and they have never really recovered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back