2014-15 Lower League & amalgamated non-league thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saying it'd be nice for a club with a bit of history to win and progress rather than one that was made because a few people were upset at the owners of their club about ten years ago.

Away at Torquay.

Woking or Dover Athletic v Bath City
Dartford or FC Halifax Town v Wrexham or Gateshead
Torquay United v FC United of Manchester
North Ferriby United v Braintree Town or Ebbsfleet United

Away at Torquay.

Woking or Dover Athletic v Bath City
Dartford or FC Halifax Town v Wrexham or Gateshead
Torquay United v FC United of Manchester
North Ferriby United v Braintree Town or Ebbsfleet United
Wow, they were in League One or League Two not that long ago. Wonder what happened there?

Weird little story in today's Cumbrian paper the News & Star about former owner Michael Knighton. Having read it I'm not sure if he want's to buy the club back (I hope not) or is one of the potential investors (I hope not), but he has been talking up the club on his twitter account, saying things like Carlisle is one of the great lower leagues club and deserve better owners than what we have now. :eek:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlis...in-twitter-claims-over-carlisle-utd-1.1188641

For about 10-12 years we haven't heard a thing from our former "Alien Abductee" owner, but with the team in the relegation positions of league two he suddenly reappears. The idea of this guy returning to Carlisle United is repulsive and I hope I never hear from him again.

Jon Parkin's 7th goal in 4 games gave Forest Green a 1-0 win over Nuneaton last night. Up to 5th and the playoff spots.

Lost 2-0 overnight to the team in first :( 6 points behind them with five games in hand but could've been level with a victory last night.
:(
I thought you'd almost converted to FC United.
Our game was postponed due to water logged pitch.

Next up, away to Torquay.
I wonder how many travelling fans will turn up. Probably the most inconvenient road trip yet (We've done longer to Brighton, but this is more out of the of infrastructure I think)

A 2-1 Win at home against Mansfield lifts the Cumbrians to 20th and out the relegation positions for another week.

There is also talk that Carlisle may be sold to new owners by the end of the season. Businessman and lifelong fan Andrew Lapping is the head of a consortium who are looking to buy into the club. Unfortunately he is a local and not a super rich Middle Eastern billionaire which means that League One is probably the best we will ever reach, instead of aiming for European and World glory.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:(
I thought you'd almost converted to FC United.
Our game was postponed due to water logged pitch.

Next up, away to Torquay.
I wonder how many travelling fans will turn up. Probably the most inconvenient road trip yet (We've done longer to Brighton, but this is more out of the of infrastructure I think)
I follow your results every game actually but think my non-league heart lies with Darlo ;)

A 2-1 Win at home against Mansfield lifts the Cumbrians to 20th and out the relegation positions for another week.

There is also talk that Carlisle may be sold to new owners by the end of the season. Businessman and lifelong fan Andrew Lapping is the head of a consortium who are looking to buy into the club. Unfortunately he is a local and not a super rich Middle Eastern billionaire which means that League One is probably the best we will ever reach, instead of aiming for European and World glory.:)

Would happily give you Mike Ashley if you wanted a loaded up owner (though he may not pump in the funds!). :)

I reckon having a fan or at least someone with the genuine best interests of the club at heart would be ideal. Having a rich owner seems a bit like roulette - you could get someone amazing or you could get a Vincent Tan type.

Who knows? Maybe Lapping and a few others in the consortium have a bit of money pooled together and can help with some investment in the facilities, squad and other areas of the club.

Would happily give you Mike Ashley if you wanted a loaded up owner (though he may not pump in the funds!). :)

I reckon having a fan or at least someone with the genuine best interests of the club at heart would be ideal. Having a rich owner seems a bit like roulette - you could get someone amazing or you could get a Vincent Tan type.

Who knows? Maybe Lapping and a few others in the consortium have a bit of money pooled together and can help with some investment in the facilities, squad and other areas of the club.

I think there are positives and negatives to having life long fans taking over the club. They will always have the clubs best interests at heart, but Carlisle have serious issues that need to be resolved if we are to survive, and a consortium instead of a rich owner may slow those processes down.

We are currently owned by consortium of local businessmen and the Carlisle Supporters Trust and getting anything happening is taking an age. Brunton Park is an old ground that no longer meets the standards of league football, and it hasn't had any improvements made to it in a least 10 years, other than a couple of coats of paint. We need a new stadium to attract new players, sponsors and supporters, and it has been discussed since the 1990's, but nothing has really be done except the hiring a consultant to conduct a feasability study, and that has only been done in the last 6 months.

Consortiums/Commitees can slow the process of improvement/rejuvination down, and we will struggle to survive if we continue to move this slow. Hopefully Lapping and his crew will be more pro active and speed up the rejuvination of the Carlisle United Football Club, but past history suggests this won't happen. I'm not holding me breath.

I think there are positives and negatives to having life long fans taking over the club. They will always have the clubs best interests at heart, but Carlisle have serious issues that need to be resolved if we are to survive, and a consortium instead of a rich owner may slow those processes down.

We are currently owned by consortium of local businessmen and the Carlisle Supporters Trust and getting anything happening is taking an age. Brunton Park is an old ground that no longer meets the standards of league football, and it hasn't had any improvements made to it in a least 10 years, other than a couple of coats of paint. We need a new stadium to attract new players, sponsors and supporters, and it has been discussed since the 1990's, but nothing has really be done except the hiring a consultant to conduct a feasability study, and that has only been done in the last 6 months.

Consortiums/Commitees can slow the process of improvement/rejuvination down, and we will struggle to survive if we continue to move this slow. Hopefully Lapping and his crew will be more pro active and speed up the rejuvination of the Carlisle United Football Club, but past history suggests this won't happen. I'm not holding me breath.

Has Lapping or any of the other consortium members mentioned publicly what they would do if the takeover goes through?

Lapping has put his proposal to the board and the Carlisle United Trust, but it hasn't been released to the public. He is expected to release it in the coming weeks.

Both the Board and Trust have stated they are happy with Lapping's proposal, so I'm hopeful that it not only means a restructure of the board, but also plans for an upgrade to Brunton Park or a new stadium. They also need to do something to increase the number of fans going to the games, which has fallen from around 10,000 to 4,000 since 2008 when we were 5 minutes away from promotion to the Championship.

Lapping has put his proposal to the board and the Carlisle United Trust, but it hasn't been released to the public. He is expected to release it in the coming weeks.

Both the Board and Trust have stated they are happy with Lapping's proposal, so I'm hopeful that it not only means a restructure of the board, but also plans for an upgrade to Brunton Park or a new stadium. They also need to do something to increase the number of fans going to the games, which has fallen from around 10,000 to 4,000 since 2008 when we were 5 minutes away from promotion to the Championship.

That'll be interesting to see once the proposal are released to the public.

Is that a supporter's trust? If so, presumably if they are happy with the plans Lapping and his consortium are proposing, they must have reasons to think Lapping offers the club the best chance of improvement in the short and long term future. Fingers crossed!

Guessing its a long away trip for you guys?
One of our 2 longest trips ever (other than friendlies - We've gone to Germany and I think in our really early years, Korea of all places)

Torquay is on the Channel, but in the western part. We've done Brighton before (when they were League 1.........Escaping with a 1-1 draw)

One of our 2 longest trips ever (other than friendlies - We've gone to Germany and I think in our really early years, Korea of all places)

Torquay is on the Channel, but in the western part. We've done Brighton before (when they were League 1.........Escaping with a 1-1 draw)
Just double checked.
We have an international game most seasons.
05/06 - Postseason - Germany - FC Lokomotive Leipzig
06/07 - None
07/08 - Postseason - Germany - Marburg Select XI
08/09 - Postseason - Sweden - Djurg�rdens
09/10 - Pre-season - Korea - Bucheon FC 1995, Postseason - Germany - St Pauli
10/11 - None
11/12 - None
12/13 - Postseason - Germany - SV Babelsberg 03
13/14 - Postseason - Switzerland - FC Winterthur

Not an away trip this year, but we have Benfica coming to Broadhurst for a Postseason friendly :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back