List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could do it easy. May even trade some out. Dea and Helbig definitely will be gone IMO. Batch maybe traded. King gone. Newy probably done.
Agree. Dea and Helbig haven't given a yelp and we need to stop hoping they will come good. King should retire so either Madonna or Arnot their chance. Newy may go for another year and I wouldn't be against trading Foley. Batch maybe 1 more as well, potentially in another role.

The question is who is going to get the chop for our 3 picks? Do we upgrade Thomas or Miles? Who are the 3 that are in trouble? Helbig, Dea, Batchelor, Edwards, O'Hanlon? Will King or Newy retire? this is the question that is most important.
Possibly all of the above. I see Batchelor being safe.

I'll give my thoughts on some guys I like for our pick. (Presuming we don't have a top 10 pick)

Durdin/Lever/McCartin/Wright/Goddard will all likely be off the board. First 4 are all really good. Something irks me about Goddard, not sure what it is though.

Ok so for the realistic guys.

1. Jarrod Pickett (South Fremantle) - absolute speedster, with elite skills. So much to like about him. Can play as a wing, small forward and can win his own footy. Huge hurt factor and IMO is a real missing piece for this side. As Toady has already mentioned, he's not the type of player we go for as that small, quick, indigenous kid that has some game-breaking ability. Apparently a ripper kid as well. Downside is he's only 177cm I think. Predicting he probably goes about 5-15.

2. Lachie Weller (Broadbeach) - Another smallish midfielder at 180cm, Weller is one of the more complete mids in this draft. Can play both inside/outside and has very good foot skills and is more than capable of pushing forward and hitting the scoreboard. Whilst it's only the NEAFL, he has mixed it well against the senior bodies already. I think he can go between 3-12 sort of range.

3. Christian Petracca (Eastern Ranges) - Big bodied medium forward who has played a bit through the midfield. This kid has a huge frame for a medium forward. He's almost the impossible match-up with him being way too big and strong for a small/medium defender. (He's 185cm/96kg) At the same time he is way too quick/agile for a key defender at ground level, plus he'll just out mark them anyway. His downside is his kicking is frustrating and he hasn't played a huge amount of midfield from what I've seen. Range of 5-20 depending on how his midfield game develops.

4. Angus Brayshaw (Sandringham Dragons) - Probably a player-type that we need more of as a big bull in the middle, depending on what plans are with Vlastuin in the future. He's a nice sort of size already at about 184cm/84kg or thereabouts. Not 100% sold on his skills so want to see how he develops before I say he's a 1st round certainty. Has a great defensive game though. Range between 10-25 IMO.

5. Jackson Nelson (Geelong Falcons) - I probably like Nelson more so than Brayshaw, but I want to see him dominate some Champs games this year through the midfield before I'd really consider him at Richmond. Otherwise not sure we need to use a 1st rounder on another HBF. Range 5-20.

They're probably my 1st round favourites for us.

2nd round and onwards.

1. Peter Bampton (Norwood) - Probably goes before here but our 1st is probably too early. He's one of those vanilla type midfielders, but he just has a big tank, racks up the ball, uses it reasonably well, scores goals, competes to the death and has played against big bodied competition in the SANFL since he was 16 I believe. What he doesn't have is Deledio's speed or Dusty's foot skills and for this reason I expect him to go 15-30 range and teams go wtf were we thinking passing over him.

2. Dylan Winton (Peel Thunder) - Potential bargain. Already played against men last year. Projects as a big-bodied inside midfielder who uses the footy well from the little I've seen. Could end up being a 1st rounder though.

3. Jermaine Miller-Lewis (South Fremantle) - I think this kid projects as the non-******** version of Troy Taylor. Could go anywhere from 15-rookie draft depending on how he develops.

4. Nakia Cockatoo (NT) - Smooth moving indigenous midfielder from the NT. Has some nice size for a winger and uses the ball nicely. Can really break the lines. Not a completely outside player as he can win his own ball when required. Probably goes 40+ as NT kids tend to have to be exceptional to even be taken these days.

5. Daniel Capiron (Dandenong Stingrays) - Really nice rebounding defender. Has some great size and moves well. Upgrade on Batchelor. Think he probably goes 2nd round, but good season could push him into late 1st contention.

6. Ryan Lim (Claremont) - People will remember him as the kid who trained with us in January as part of the AIS. He's a real hard working midfielder who runs and runs all day. Had a really good season last year and did a few nice things in the Champs game at Etihad vs SA. Have seen a few people talk him up as potential top 10/first round. He's one I think BF overrate a bit. Think he goes 25-late.

7. Jack Donkersley (Glenelg) - genuine utility who is very skilled and can win his own ball. I think he's one who will very much be on our radar this season.

8. Jesse Watchman (West Adelaide) - Big KPF from one of our hunting grounds in West Adelaide. Genuine FF at 196cm and already 90kg I think he has some potential.

9. Liam Duggan (Western Jets) - Not a kid I've seen a lot of, but he is very quick and skilful. Huge hurt factor player.

Overall my wishlist would be:

Pick 1: Lachie Weller
Pick 2: Peter Bampton/Dylan Winton
Pick 3: Nakia Cockatoo
Pick 4: Some kind of KPD pops up.

We will need to draft a tall ruck this year(later pick or rookie) and I wouldn't be surprised if we picked a tall defender at our first pick.
Yep,I think we have to bite the bullet.KPD and a Small fwd with our 2nd pick.Time to pick for our needs.

Could do it easy. May even trade some out. Dea and Helbig definitely will be gone IMO. Batch maybe traded. King gone. Newy probably done.
Tend to agree.Dea,Helbig & Batch will be under pressure to keep their spots.Newy and kingy to retire.Was actually thinking about it the other day.Kingy would make the ideal captain of our VFL side IMO.

I'll give my thoughts on some guys I like for our pick. (Presuming we don't have a top 10 pick)

Durdin/Lever/McCartin/Wright/Goddard will all likely be off the board. First 4 are all really good. Something irks me about Goddard, not sure what it is though.

Ok so for the realistic guys.

1. Jarrod Pickett (South Fremantle) - absolute speedster, with elite skills. So much to like about him. Can play as a wing, small forward and can win his own footy. Huge hurt factor and IMO is a real missing piece for this side. As Toady has already mentioned, he's not the type of player we go for as that small, quick, indigenous kid that has some game-breaking ability. Apparently a ripper kid as well. Downside is he's only 177cm I think. Predicting he probably goes about 5-15.

2. Lachie Weller (Broadbeach) - Another smallish midfielder at 180cm, Weller is one of the more complete mids in this draft. Can play both inside/outside and has very good foot skills and is more than capable of pushing forward and hitting the scoreboard. Whilst it's only the NEAFL, he has mixed it well against the senior bodies already. I think he can go between 3-12 sort of range.

3. Christian Petracca (Eastern Ranges) - Big bodied medium forward who has played a bit through the midfield. This kid has a huge frame for a medium forward. He's almost the impossible match-up with him being way too big and strong for a small/medium defender. (He's 185cm/96kg) At the same time he is way too quick/agile for a key defender at ground level, plus he'll just out mark them anyway. His downside is his kicking is frustrating and he hasn't played a huge amount of midfield from what I've seen. Range of 5-20 depending on how his midfield game develops.

4. Angus Brayshaw (Sandringham Dragons) - Probably a player-type that we need more of as a big bull in the middle, depending on what plans are with Vlastuin in the future. He's a nice sort of size already at about 184cm/84kg or thereabouts. Not 100% sold on his skills so want to see how he develops before I say he's a 1st round certainty. Has a great defensive game though. Range between 10-25 IMO.

5. Jackson Nelson (Geelong Falcons) - I probably like Nelson more so than Brayshaw, but I want to see him dominate some Champs games this year through the midfield before I'd really consider him at Richmond. Otherwise not sure we need to use a 1st rounder on another HBF. Range 5-20.

They're probably my 1st round favourites for us.

2nd round and onwards.

1. Peter Bampton (Norwood) - Probably goes before here but our 1st is probably too early. He's one of those vanilla type midfielders, but he just has a big tank, racks up the ball, uses it reasonably well, scores goals, competes to the death and has played against big bodied competition in the SANFL since he was 16 I believe. What he doesn't have is Deledio's speed or Dusty's foot skills and for this reason I expect him to go 15-30 range and teams go wtf were we thinking passing over him.

2. Dylan Winton (Peel Thunder) - Potential bargain. Already played against men last year. Projects as a big-bodied inside midfielder who uses the footy well from the little I've seen. Could end up being a 1st rounder though.

3. Jermaine Miller-Lewis (South Fremantle) - I think this kid projects as the non-******** version of Troy Taylor. Could go anywhere from 15-rookie draft depending on how he develops.

4. Nakia Cockatoo (NT) - Smooth moving indigenous midfielder from the NT. Has some nice size for a winger and uses the ball nicely. Can really break the lines. Not a completely outside player as he can win his own ball when required. Probably goes 40+ as NT kids tend to have to be exceptional to even be taken these days.

5. Daniel Capiron (Dandenong Stingrays) - Really nice rebounding defender. Has some great size and moves well. Upgrade on Batchelor. Think he probably goes 2nd round, but good season could push him into late 1st contention.

6. Ryan Lim (Claremont) - People will remember him as the kid who trained with us in January as part of the AIS. He's a real hard working midfielder who runs and runs all day. Had a really good season last year and did a few nice things in the Champs game at Etihad vs SA. Have seen a few people talk him up as potential top 10/first round. He's one I think BF overrate a bit. Think he goes 25-late.

7. Jack Donkersley (Glenelg) - genuine utility who is very skilled and can win his own ball. I think he's one who will very much be on our radar this season.

8. Jesse Watchman (West Adelaide) - Big KPF from one of our hunting grounds in West Adelaide. Genuine FF at 196cm and already 90kg I think he has some potential.

9. Liam Duggan (Western Jets) - Not a kid I've seen a lot of, but he is very quick and skilful. Huge hurt factor player.

Overall my wishlist would be:

Pick 1: Lachie Weller
Pick 2: Peter Bampton/Dylan Winton
Pick 3: Nakia Cockatoo
Pick 4: Some kind of KPD pops up.
Good write up there Mate.

We will need to draft a tall ruck this year(later pick or rookie) and I wouldn't be surprised if we picked a tall defender at our first pick.
We will either be tanking or reaching hard for a KPD in the first round. The best one is Sam Durdin who will go top 2 or 3. Probably pick 1. Jake Lever is only 190cm so is more 3rd tall and also likely goes top 5. Then there is maybe Hugh Goddard who is a bit of a swingman. I think he goes 5-10 range and more likely higher rather than lower than that. He's one I'm not totally convinced about. He kinda reminds me of Watts. He has the same athleticism and skills as Watts but he also kind of has that niceness to him. Doesn't seem to have any real mongrel in him.

Sean McLaren is in that list but I'm a bit worried he's a bit of a tweener. That's about it really. Do we draft Watchman who is very good one on one FF and turn him into a FB?

As far as rucks go, ugh.

Peter Spurling is the only one really worth talking about. Very athletic, nice tap ruckman but currently listed at only 199cm. If he stays there it's a no from me.

Duom Dawam has a bit of potential but he's a longggggg way from doing anything.

Darcy Cameron was last years draft and presents as one of the better chances if he develops well in the WAFL. Josh Miller is also from last year and is in the SANFL. Teams seem to be waiting for players to develop at state level rather than draft 18yo rucks and do the hard yards themselves. Might mean these 2 get a chance or someone a bit older, 22/23yo. Not sure who will be that guy yet. Maybe someone like Spurling becomes a late bargain because of this tendency to not draft 18yo rucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've played with Petracca, wrong sport though*.

He's huge (sizewise) and loves to take a cheeky big mark.

*Gaelic Football
Could've been a gun basketballer if he wanted to go down that pathway. Just a natural athlete.

I think its a bit simplistic to say we don't go for this type of player, and in general to say we don't go for lightening quick players. The harsh reality is they just have been there at our pick nor is it a position that has a large depth of quality in the AFL.

Motlop is probably the only one in the last 5-6 drafts we had a realistic chance of getting and he had to be nurtured by close to the best development system to get him to a standard 5 years later.

To get Rioli would have meant giving up Cotchin, Jetta would have been giving up Martin

Bennell should have been ours but for the over the top concessions given to the expansion clubs (Although i think we would have picked Day @ 2 but who knows). Conca was only a mistake in the sense we should have traded down and picked up two picks in the teens and nabbed Conca and Darling. The only other three players in that draft that might meet that type were Atley who still cannot kick despite what North fans say, Harper who hasn't come on and Smith who would have also been nice in the teens. Dahlhaus might be the only other one but cannot kick to save himself and is overrated by bulldogs fans.

2011 we got Ellis who is probably not quick enough to be that guy but still he is close. But after him there is maybe Croizer, then who?? Bradley Hill might be the other but your giving up Elton, obviously that could be a mistake but i think Elton could make it especially after the NAB cup matches.

2012 Josh simpson is the only player i can think of who fits that bill but i wouldn't give up Vlastuin for him, in fact the only player i'd give up in our 2012 draft class is McIntosh.

Last year is a bit harder to pick but the only guy you could really pick before Lennon who could have possibly had that speed was Acres but his injuries made it hard to tell exactly. Later in the draft we have addressed it of sorts with Gordon and Banfield who obviously need to earn their stripes. Bourne may have been the other and Garlett but Hawks are already having trouble with him.

The harsh reality is this type of player is as rare as hens teeth and i'd say there are half a dozen quality ones in the league and another doze sporadic ones. I would not be surprised if Pickett is available at our pick if we go him.

Don't the Suns get first look in, when it comes to their academy players.

The question is who is going to get the chop for our 3 picks? Do we upgrade Thomas or Miles? Who are the 3 that are in trouble? Helbig, Dea, Batchelor, Edwards, O'Hanlon? Will King or Newy retire? this is the question that is most important.

It wouldn't be too difficult, if King, Newman and Foly called it a day. It wouldn't be the same without them although it would be the right call by them to help progress our list further. I can't see A.Edwards being kept beyond this year, o' Hanlon would be in trouble if we recruited someone like Christian Petracca. Helbig is on his last legs if he doesn't do anything this year, i wouldn't mind throwing him around as trade bait to the adelaide clubs to see if either would bite. Dea would be 50/50, may be kept as depth for an injury/suspension to morris. I reckon batchelor and elton will be safe and hopefully griffths now he has been performing well so far this pre season/first round. So Say 6 players are delisted/traded/retire, we could upgrade Matt thomas and Anthony miles and then bring someone else in from another club and pick three kids in the draft.

That's good to hear although still can't see us getting him with Brisbane or Gold Coast, most likely having an earlier pick than us.
I reckon Brisbane will go KPP and then it will just come down to what GC deem best available. Someone like Petracca or Brayshaw would be a good fit for them. Otherwise I'd be happy with Petracca

I think its a bit simplistic to say we don't go for this type of player, and in general to say we don't go for lightening quick players. The harsh reality is they just have been there at our pick nor is it a position that has a large depth of quality in the AFL.

Motlop is probably the only one in the last 5-6 drafts we had a realistic chance of getting and he had to be nurtured by close to the best development system to get him to a standard 5 years later.

We had a chance to get Dwayne Wilson last year who is as quick as they come. We could have picked him up late 4th round, or even in the rookie draft. He wasn't picked up at all, which to me, was a surprise because he has all the skills and talent to be a very good player at AFL level.

I reckon Brisbane will go KPP and then it will just come down to what GC deem best available. Someone like Petracca or Brayshaw would be a good fit for them. Otherwise I'd be happy with Petracca

From reports, Brayshaw sounds like a typical FJ pick. And given recent trends, With Cotchin, Lennon and McBean all AIS academy players training and being picked up by us, wouldn't be surprised to see Lim drafted to us either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back