2014 Emirates Melbourne Cup Day discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all, sorry to intrude, never posted on the punting board.
Whats happened to Terrubi? I've noticed its no longer listed in weights nor betting for the cup & Caufield cup.

Last run before coming here was awful, may have been injured.
New trainer looked at it & said it had
lightened right off
so they pulled the pin.
Was always more likely for 2015

seth

Noted UK tipster Pricewise releases his antepost selection in 90 minutes.

Whoever he picks will be sure to firm up on the exchange.

Looks like its RED CADEAUX

Some of his thoughts on the other Euro's were as follows:

DANDINO - will have a chance as he did last year
PROTECTIONIST - too slow
WILLING FOE - has the right profile, but will be guessing as to whether he can handle the conditions in Australia
CONTRIBUTOR - arguably the best chance but is unlikely to make the field

Some of his thoughts on the other Euro's were as follows:

DANDINO - will have a chance as he did last year
PROTECTIONIST - too slow
WILLING FOE - has the right profile, but will be guessing as to whether he can handle the conditions in Australia
CONTRIBUTOR - arguably the best chance but is unlikely to make the field
Anything on Mutual Regard?
Protectionist had a great run over the 2400 today.
What's this guy's track record with predictions?

Last edited:
Mutual Regard wasn't mentioned.

He definitely knows what he is talking about - and would know more about the European raiders than 99% of Australian pundits I would have thought. He tipped Ectot at 50/1 in the Arc antepost and it started 7/1 on the day (admittedly beaten a long way).

Surprised how much Protectionist has firmed up on Betfair after today's running. Ok to trim him up but to have him as 10/1 favourite is ridiculous at this point! Feel this was a pretty weak Herbert Power (the first 3 home would be 80/1+ if they lined up at Flemington I reckon), and he hit a flat spot and was scrubbed up 600m out. If that happens at Flemington I hate to think how far back he will be coming from in the straight. Thought Simenon ran a similar race last year, started 20/1+ on the day, and while he ran well, his lack of a turn of foot on the day cost him victory. Have similar concerns about Protectionist.

Mutual Regard wasn't mentioned.
Surprised how much Protectionist has firmed up on Betfair after today's running. Ok to trim him up but to have him as 10/1 favourite is ridiculous at this point! Feel this was a pretty weak Herbert Power (the first 3 home would be 80/1+ if they lined up at Flemington I reckon), and he hit a flat spot and was scrubbed up 600m out. If that happens at Flemington I hate to think how far back he will be coming from in the straight. Thought Simenon ran a similar race last year, started 20/1+ on the day, and while he ran well, his lack of a turn of foot on the day cost him victory. Have similar concerns about Protectionist.

Couldnt agree more, massive overreaction.Was a solid effort but he passed Lavazza horses.
Van Percy was as good for mine

seth

Couldnt agree more, massive overreaction.Was a solid effort but he passed Lavazza horses.
Van Percy was as good for mine

seth
very good run from Lord van Percy, correct me if wrong but he is a fair way down the OOE? perhaps a win in the Lexus to get in

I thought Protectionist ran well but seemed to lack a bit of tactical speed, which may count against him. I can see him running on strongly but he may have too much to do...especially with a European jockey up.

Took Bande @15's and am thinking of backing it again @11's.

Am I right in remembering that the last two horses sent down from Japan did the quinella in the Cup?

Word is that these two are better.

Took Bande @15's and am thinking of backing it again @11's.
Am I right in remembering that the last two horses sent down from Japan did the quinella in the Cup?
Word is that these two are better.

Almost right, theres been 1 since then which was an 8yo & ran ok.
These 2 are definitely not better on what theyve done so far so dont listen to whoever told you that
But they may not need to be

seth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost right, theres been 1 since then which was an 8yo & ran ok.
These 2 are definitely not better on what theyve done so far so dont listen to whoever told you that
But they may not need to be

seth

I live in Sydney and know a few trainers and people associated with the ATC.

Everyone up here is saying it like it's fact.

But that's racing.

I live in Sydney and know a few trainers and people associated with the ATC.
Everyone up here is saying it like it's fact.
But that's racing.

Not sure why youd ask for an opinion if you know lots of people who are so sure?
Melb Cup internationals nowadays are like the Olympics, local racing people read 1 article & suddenly know all about int racing.
Dont pretend to know Japanese racing but I know 3 or 4 guys who live/work there in racing.
None of them put either horse in the same paddock as Pop Rock & Delta Blues
All are dumbfounded at the weights they received, especially Admire Rakti who one describes as Japan's Crafty Cruiser.
Despite that, this year looks weak for Europeans & the locals arent exactly daunting.

Personally I hope your friends are right but my info from locals who watch these 2 live is that you can not possibly
compare them to the 2006 quinella.

seth

Last edited:
Not sure why youd ask for an opinion if you know lots of people who are so sure?
Melb Cup internationals nowadays are like the Olympics, local racing people read 1 article & suddenly know all about int racing.
Dont pretend to know Japanese racing but I know 3 or 4 guys who live/work there in racing.
None of them put either horse in the same paddock as Pop Rock & Delta Blues
All are dumbfounded at the weights they received, especially Admire Rakti who one describes as Japan's Crafty Cruiser.
Despite that, this year looks weak for Europeans & the locals arent exactly daunting.

Personally I hope your friends are right but my info from locals who watch these 2 live is that you can not possibly
compare them to the 2006 quinella.

seth

All I'm saying is they are stating it as fact not saying I believe them or I wouldn't have asked the question.

I have been on the piss today so might not be making my point very clearly...

All I can gather from what you are saying is that it looks like a weak field all round.

While I think the 2006 Quinella of the Japanese were better I'm not sure they are that far apart. Pop Rock only had a G2 to his name before coming here I think

Delta Blues ran 3rd in the Hanshin Daishoten, the race Admire Rakti and Bande ran 2nd/3rd in this year
He won the St Leger the year before (which Bande ran 3rd in)
He had a placing in the Japan Cup to his name too though

Admire Rakti is a hell of a lot better than their Crafty Cruiser though imo. I would say he is like their Aqua D'Amore or something similar class wise

they were talking about the japanese style of racing on saturday - in japan they go out hard to the front, maintain a decent speed and raise the bar in the straight, in australia they go out, the steady massively and the japanese just go out the front and blow them out of the water, supposedly.

He said Japans Crafty Cruiser which is more a statement of the quality of horse there.
Just meant he would stay all day but is a tad one paced.

seth

Some guy on Tbv posted that Bande's a wet tracker country cup level horse in Japan.
I rest my case about once a year int form experts

seth

Jacquinot Bay type? Marksmanshipesc?

iluvparis can you confirm this? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back