2014 QFA Southern Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

all entitled to your opinion, as I'm entitled to mine.

Reserves footy to me has become chook lotto, even at QAFL level. Look at some of the teams clubs are putting out.

Some clubs are playing 6-8 blokes backing up from Colts in QAFL Reserves! They have permits coming out their arses just to field a team.

Take a look at the Palm Beach vs Magpies game in QAFL Reserves on the weekend as a prime example. These 2 are Top 3 sides in the QAFL Reserves.

I'm comfortable that most Div 2 senior teams would account for both those sides easily, and probably a few Div 3 Senior sides as well. There are guys out there that appear to have never played before. Maybe Div 2 ressies is different, I'll admit to not seeing a great deal of it - but if its anything like Div 1 Ressies - its 100% chook lotto.

The thread is alive!!
I saw both Kenmore & Robina Reserves last season....good standard of footy? Exceptional!!
As for the undefeated GF talk:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/undefeated-teams-that-choked-on-grand-final-day.260471/page-2
Being a Mayne supporter
950843241_3053617284_NOOOOOOOO_answer_2_xlarge_answer_9_xlarge_answer_2_xlarge.png

Qafl - completely agree ur entitled to an opinion - just pointing out that information and knowledge aren't the same thing though.

Completely different drivers for div 1 and 2 teams.

Most 20 something's don't wanna play top grade reserves and this is why many leave and have found homes in div 2 senior teams.
It's this reason why a lot of teams have that disparity in age and quality of players.

In my time with Pbc, magpies were always the benchmark in 2s when they won 3 in a row because they had a good group of guys with a strong early 20s age who grew up playing together. Suspect u will find this has been another key to why surfers have gone back to back.

Plenty of opportunity for these guys to earn a cpl of pies or cokes at Burleigh, cooly, robina etc all in the ones.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great u get to so many different leagues, but ud do well to find out a bit more below the surface then just make assumptions.

More then happy to have a beer with u if u get to a robina game and u can tell me in person how much I struggle

This is my point mate.

Div 1 Reserves is nominally a higher level of footy than Div 2 Seniors, just as Div 2 Reserves is nominally a higher level than Div 3 Seniors.

In both cases, I don't believe that to be the case at all.

I believe Yeronga, Kenmore, Robina, Springwood, Kedron, Mayne, Noosa and maybe even Coorparoo Div 2 Senior teams would ALL easily account for any of the Div 1 Reserves sides.

I also think that the top end Div 3 sides would all beat most Div 2 Reserves sides and probably a few Div 4 standalone sides as well - especially the ones filled with former Div 1 Senior players!

As an example, there are 2 guys playing Senior Footy for Palm Beach this year, who have stepped out of the Jimboomba Div 4 side. Thats nominally an enormous step up, but in reality it probably isn't. Zillmere's Div 4 side last year was a 'whos who' of State League footy, granted some getting on a bit - but about 10-15 former or future State league player in the one team playing Division 4!

Further to the above, I am also aware that UQ have been in dispute with AFLQ on this very subject. UQ field 5 teams.

QAFL Seniors - UQ 1's
QAFL Ressies - UQ 2's
QAFA Seniors - UQ 3's
QAFA Ressies - UQ 4's
QAFA B - UQ 5's (% of 11...)

Before agreeing to put their 3rds in QAFA instead of QFA - UQ had approached AFLQ seeking permission to mix up their order of selection. They wanted their 2's to play Senior footy in QFA and their 3's to be their QAFL Reserves. For the sole reason that they believed that QFA Seniors would be superior level to QAFL Ressies, so thats where their 2's should be.

It was knocked on the head and agreed that their 3's and 4's would move to the QAFA instead.

This is my point mate.

Div 1 Reserves is nominally a higher level of footy than Div 2 Seniors, just as Div 2 Reserves is nominally a higher level than Div 3 Seniors.

In both cases, I don't believe that to be the case at all.

I believe Yeronga, Kenmore, Robina, Springwood, Kedron, Mayne, Noosa and maybe even Coorparoo Div 2 Senior teams would ALL easily account for any of the Div 1 Reserves sides.

I also think that the top end Div 3 sides would all beat most Div 2 Reserves sides and probably a few Div 4 standalone sides as well - especially the ones filled with former Div 1 Senior players!

As an example, there are 2 guys playing Senior Footy for Palm Beach this year, who have stepped out of the Jimboomba Div 4 side. Thats nominally an enormous step up, but in reality it probably isn't. Zillmere's Div 4 side last year was a 'whos who' of State League footy, granted some getting on a bit - but about 10-15 former or future State league player in the one team playing Division 4!

Further to the above, I am also aware that UQ have been in dispute with AFLQ on this very subject. UQ field 5 teams.

QAFL Seniors - UQ 1's
QAFL Ressies - UQ 2's
QAFA Seniors - UQ 3's
QAFA Ressies - UQ 4's

Before agreeing to put their 3rds in QAFA instead of QFA - UQ had approached AFLQ seeking permission to mix up their order of selection. They wanted their 2's to play Senior footy in QFA and their 3's to be their QAFL Reserves. For the sole reason that they believed that QFA Seniors would be superior level to QAFL Ressies, so thats where their 2's should be.

It was knocked on the head and agreed that their 3's and 4's would move to the QAFA instead.

What's the point of all this? It's reserve grade. Most clubs don't go out of their way to win ressie flags, they are just a bonus if you get one. Is div 1 reserves stronger than div 2 seniors? Who cares.. It's irrelevent. What is relevant is that reserve sides for div 1 probably contains 7-8 players who at various points of the year will be required to step into the senior side . Will they be the best players, probably not, but having them all at the club allows this to happen.

Your ridiculous comments about having a stand alone team with no reserves move up from div 4 to div 3 is a joke. If a club is not strong enough to attract 55 players that is needed for two sides, QAFA B is exactly where they should be.

As for your Zillmere comments, yes they had a terrific side last year. Would they have been able to attract these players to two nights a week training as well as travelling every second Saturday? The reason retired guys go to this level is to have a kick without the commitments. And as Zillmere are experiencing this year, it's hardly a long term recipe for success, with most of last years team now retired.

Fwiw I think the comps are in pretty heathy positions offering players of various motivations an ability to have a kick which at the end of the day is what this is all about.

I think it gets lost that all clubs were required to nominate for the appropriate leagues based on a number of pillars and standards as set by aflq. Maybe it should just be left that each club should be congratulated on having a decent read of what was going on in there own backyard - clubs like springwood, Burleigh, mayne, noosa, redcliffe and wynnum.

Standalone teams were tried in div 3 a few years back. Was a disaster - only need to look at the southern red backs and muarrie trials as why that will never work again.

What's the point of all this? It's reserve grade. Most clubs don't go out of their way to win ressie flags

Agree

, they are just a bonus if you get one.

Agree again

Is div 1 reserves stronger than div 2 seniors? Who cares.. It's irrelevent.

Probably not many people care, I was just making the point that claiming ressie results as some sort of example in a discussion is also irrelevant, because of the very nature of reserves footy.

However, on that subject - no, Div 1 Reserves is not as high a standard as Div 2 Seniors.

What is relevant is that reserve sides for div 1 probably contains 7-8 players who at various points of the year will be required to step into the senior side . Will they be the best players, probably not, but having them all at the club allows this to happen.

Agree again

Your ridiculous comments about having a stand alone team with no reserves move up from div 4 to div 3 is a joke. If a club is not strong enough to attract 55 players that is needed for two sides, QAFA B is exactly where they should be.

I wasn't neccessarily advocating it. Just wondering what people would think?

Sometimes its hard to attract the required numbers. Jimboomba are in a small catchment, they have been trying to go up for years and I feel they probably should have. Eventually because they can't go up, their good players get poached to other clubs and they get stuck there.

Personally, I think QAFA B should be for 3rds sides, and some sort of mechanism should be found for standalone senior clubs to move up - I don't actually have a solution for how that would work, so I was merely interested in what people would think if they just went up with one side.

As for your Zillmere comments, yes they had a terrific side last year. Would they have been able to attract these players to two nights a week training as well as travelling every second Saturday?
Unlikely, although I suppose they travelled every 2nd Friday...?

The reason retired guys go to this level is to have a kick without the commitments. And as Zillmere are experiencing this year, it's hardly a long term recipe for success, with most of last years team now retired.

Agree again, although I don't think they all retired. Some are injured, some are retired and others are playing QAFL for Sandgate or QFA North for Aspley!

Last edited:
Standalone teams were tried in div 3 a few years back. Was a disaster - only need to look at the southern red backs and muarrie trials as why that will never work again.

Were the Southern Redbacks standalone though?

My recollection is that they formed an alliance with another standalone club who agreed to be their reserves. In fact, I think that side was the pre-cursor to the Woodsmen - but I could be mistaken.

So they were fielding 2 sides, but were essentially different clubs.

Fwiw I think the comps are in pretty heathy positions offering players of various motivations an ability to have a kick which at the end of the day is what this is all about.

I think it gets lost that all clubs were required to nominate for the appropriate leagues based on a number of pillars and standards as set by aflq. Maybe it should just be left that each club should be congratulated on having a decent read of what was going on in there own backyard - clubs like springwood, Burleigh, mayne, noosa, redcliffe and wynnum.

Redcliffe and Wynnum eventually... :rolleyes:

As for your Zillmere comments, yes they had a terrific side last year. Would they have been able to attract these players to two nights a week training as well as travelling every second Saturday? The reason retired guys go to this level is to have a kick without the commitments. And as Zillmere are experiencing this year, it's hardly a long term recipe for success, with most of last years team now retired.

Nail. Hit. Head.

I play for the Woodsmen and apart from one coach a few years back who is now gone, we've never had anyone involved in our club have any interest in moving up a Division.

If we played Saturdays regularly, half the players would walk out.

We would probably have to train to be more competitive, as skill/talent will only get you so far.

Now that the quality of QAFA B continues to improve, its as enjoyable as ever.

(having said all that, I reckon we would dust up plenty of sides in higher divisions :) )

Nail. Hit. Head.

I play for the Woodsmen and apart from one coach a few years back who is now gone, we've never had anyone involved in our club have any interest in moving up a Division.

If we played Saturdays regularly, half the players would walk out.

We would probably have to train to be more competitive, as skill/talent will only get you so far.

Now that the quality of QAFA B continues to improve, its as enjoyable as ever.

(having said all that, I reckon we would dust up plenty of sides in higher divisions :) )

No doubt with the quality players the Woodsmen have, they would beat some div 3 sides. Saying that, they would probably beat caboolture in div 2. But you would also say springwood would probably beat sandgate or UQ currently, but every comp has strong sides and weak sides. Comparing different leagues really is pretty pointless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QAFL Seniors - UQ 1's
QAFL Ressies - UQ 2's
QAFA Seniors - UQ 3's
QAFA Ressies - UQ 4's

That's not true.

Rather than the previous 1>2>3>4>5 selection process there are a number of past Div 1 players this year playing QAFA(A) as they cannot commit to the rigours of QAFL, but it's all an internal thing.

There was never any talk from UQ nor from AFLQ about our 3rds and 4ths playing QFA.

Were the Southern Redbacks standalone though?

My recollection is that they formed an alliance with another standalone club who agreed to be their reserves. In fact, I think that side was the pre-cursor to the Woodsmen - but I could be mistaken.

So they were fielding 2 sides, but were essentially different clubs.

Correct. 2005 The Low Rollers were the reserves team for the Southern Redbacks. The Low Rollers were a true social team with friends and acquaintances through work and other sporting backgrounds making up the team. The Reddies were playing seniors and were on the end of a few hidings, whilst the Low Rollers won some games and lost to the top end teams in the Reserves. I maybe incorrect here but they went around again in 2006 and after that the Woodsmen club formed. To me in all of this the biggest distractor is where a former "Division" club falls back to being a standalone team and then dominates playing down in the lower division. Strathpine and Caloundra are past examples. Having been involved in Div 4 teams for some years you just need to adjust your goals when playing against these teams and work on small gains in improvement when you next play them.
This is probably boring stuff in the QFA South thread.

Pretty close Dingo.

Low Rollers were a pre-cursor to the Woodsmen, however we had 2 seasons as Western Magpies 3rds in 2007 and 2008 (including a Premiership in 2007 against Logan in the GF) before becoming the Woodsmen in 2009 when the Western Magpies moved to State League/NEAFL and were told they weren't permitted to have a 3rds team.

We're pretty closely aligned with the Magpies again these days (despite playing out of Moorooka) as at least half the team are retired Western Magpies players, or guys recruited from Maggies Colts who don't like commitment required for QAFL Footy.

QAFL Seniors - UQ 1's
QAFL Ressies - UQ 2's
QAFA Seniors - UQ 3's
QAFA Ressies - UQ 4's

This is simply incorrect.

The club has never been in dispute with AFLQ on this subject. The only discussions with AFLQ was around a core list of QAFL player that would not play QAFA.

Can we get back on topic please people - bloody thread hijackers!!!

Yeronga has turned it on at the right time of the year.

Now we're at the pointy end, which teams are vying for the Runners Up trophy???

Not us - after qafl said we were no hope 2 weeks ago we've stopped trying.

But hey we are going to Vegas for our footy trip so at least we have been able to put some decent time into fundraising instead of wasting our time training

Not us - after qafl said we were no hope 2 weeks ago we've stopped trying.
But hey we are going to Vegas for
our footy trip so at least we have
been able to put some decent
time into fundraising instead of
wasting our time training
Vegas or training.....whilst both options are nothing compared to proving urself to strangers on bigfooty, I choose Vegas!

Yeah we have a group of 15 going - going to be pretty mad.

Got a great slab raffle going as fundraiser - $10 a ticket for chance to win 20 slabs of beer. Will be drawn at our last home game against springwood - so Lenny feel free to tell the boys to bring some cash.

If anyone is actually interested in tickets let me know - for a great cause and all :)

Went to Hawaii in 1990 with 20 blokes when at Box Hill - great trip, only downside was trying to sneak a couple of 18yr olds into bars. All blokes single or were when we got back...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back