2015-16 Lower Leagues & Non-League thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing what can happen when players are given a chance to develop and gain the experience under his belt. So good was George Boyd, he even represented England C! I think it might be a while yet before he returns ‘home,’ Boydy got himself a lot of trophies last season for Burnley:

3767660.jpg

Yes, those are the actual trophies Burnley gave him on their awards night. I’d like to think perhaps Stevenage have more professional looking trophies.

That’s right, Morison eventually ended up with Norwich (And England C too). Good to see that Stevenage has done their part in developing players and getting them to play in the Premier League. Yeah, Guppy was gone. He was one of our best players before he left with O’Neill and Lennon up to Celtic. Actually more amusing, he was one of the last players to play at Old Wembley (would’ve been even more amazing if he was there for the Germany game, which was the actual last), so I think it’s quite fitting that he would be one of the first to play at the new stadium. Glad to see he did contribute something.

Interesting that you mention the money, because correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think any of those three were there for the promotion. I know about Boyd being a record at the time, I’m not fully sure on Morison, I think that also did a fair bit to help as well? Must have gotten a decent squad from their sales. I know Vardy's sale helped Fleetwood fly.

If I recall correctly, I think he was just in a Kevin Phillips role, just the attacking coach. I don’t think he was the assistant, but I could be corrected on that. I’ll tell you one thing though, he’s got a great poker face, so that’s a plus! I think we could expect an attacking style of play from Boro, should be fun to watch.

I suppose that is a valid point. He did deliver, and he did go for a lot of coin. I think you’re on the money with that, but we’ll have to find out when the time comes.
Correct. Boyd moved to Peterborough for a Conference record fee of 260,000 pounds and Morison to Millwall for 130,000 quid. None of them were there for the promotion season but Morison captained the FA Trophy winning team and scored the winning goal in the final at Wembley.

Morison scored 89 goals in 152 appearances for the club. not bad for a player they bought for 3,000 pounds :cool:

Alty lost to FGR 0-1. Good luck to the FGR owner trying to institute a vegan regime given the state of their centre forward, and lets face it 3/4 of the travelling support. :D

Reports of a meat pie related trail of destruction on the M6 are yet to be confirmed. Although a Jon Parkin lookalike was sighted in a number of bakeries along the way. ;)

Alty lost to FGR 0-1. Good luck to the FGR owner trying to institute a vegan regime given the state of their centre forward, and lets face it 3/4 of the travelling support. :D

Reports of a meat pie related trail of destruction on the M6 are yet to be confirmed. Although a Jon Parkin lookalike was sighted in a number of bakeries along the way. ;)

They don't call Parkin 'The Beast' for nothing moomba! ;)

In unrelated news, I heard meat pie sales in the area were up 300% on the day. Certainly plenty of 'green' shown for those bakers. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*, have been so busy the last few days that I forgot about our game last night.
2-1 loss in our first non-friendly at Broadhurst Park infront of 3,199.

0-0-2 to start the year :(

Never had confidence in this year. Just need to survive and im happy and hopefully build on things next year.

1-1 draw vs Tamworth (unless there's a goal for either team in injury time)

Crowd of 3,580! backing up from the 3,199 we had Tuesday night!
Keep this up for another 19 home games and we set a club record in attendance!

Carlisle United 4
Cambridge United 4

Three times Carlisle came back from at least a goal down to level the scores, which is a positive sign.
Ibehre scored a hattrick, to take his tally to six goals in the first three games, so we now have a genuine scoring target, which is a second positive.
At the start of the season I was hopeful that Carlisle would at least be a solid mid table team this season, with perhaps a chance of making the playoffs. Unfortunately, the problem that kept us anchored to the bottom 6 all last season, our leaky defense is still a work in progress. I am hopeful that over the coming of weeks we will begin to see improvement in this area as well and we can perhaps play a part in the finals stages in May.

On Tuesday we head to Plymouth, one of the longest trips in English football. Has to be truly stupid bit of planning to put this fixture on mid-week.

Carlisle United 4
Cambridge United 4

Three times Carlisle came back from at least a goal down to level the scores, which is a positive sign.
Ibehre scored a hattrick, to take his tally to six goals in the first three games, so we now have a genuine scoring target, which is a second positive.
At the start of the season I was hopeful that Carlisle would at least be a solid mid table team this season, with perhaps a chance of making the playoffs. Unfortunately, the problem that kept us anchored to the bottom 6 all last season, our leaky defense is still a work in progress. I am hopeful that over the coming of weeks we will begin to see improvement in this area as well and we can perhaps play a part in the finals stages in May.

On Tuesday we head to Plymouth, one of the longest trips in English football. Has to be truly stupid bit of planning to put this fixture on mid-week.

Great resilience at least! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back