List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We need to consisder Oleg Markov, fantastic speed and agility to compliment size.

He went undrafted last year but has been invited back to the Draft Camp because of his form in the SANFL this year.
This guy?
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pole-vaulters-son-leaps-into-afl-football-20141002-3h67u.html
http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-oleg-markov/

From what I have read there, it seems that he is a tall pacy athletic outside midfielder. Could be good for the opposite wing to tweet?

Just wondering what is happening with Kreuzer and is there any clubs interested in him?

If someone put's in a decent offer to him as a restricted free agent, you guys might rob us of both Schache and Weitering. lol.

Just wondering what is happening with Kreuzer and is there any clubs interested in him?

If someone put's in a decent offer to him as a restricted free agent, you guys might rob us of both Schache and Weitering. lol.
Getting Schache would be nice... but I personally think that the club would be better suited retaining someone like Kreuzer who bleeds blue and wants to stay at Carlton for his entire career.

I don't know why the club would put Murphy and Gibbs in the untouchable basket while leaving Kreuzer hanging? With his recent history of injuries hanging over his head, I don't think that any club (apart from maybe Essendon*) would be interested in forking out enough to get us a band 1 compensation pick.

Anywho my wishlist for this stage:

Pick #1 - Weitering
Pick #10 - Weideman
Pick #13 - Curnow
Pick #21 - Collins

Addresses KPDs, KPF and big bodied midfielder who can push forward.
I reckon Collins would be gone by then, but that would be an amazing haul if we could land that talent.

Getting Schache would be nice... but I personally think that the club would be better suited retaining someone like Kreuzer who bleeds blue and wants to stay at Carlton for his entire career.

I don't know why the club would put Murphy and Gibbs in the untouchable basket while leaving Kreuzer hanging? With his recent history of injuries hanging over his head, I don't think that any club (apart from maybe Essendon*) would be interested in forking out enough to get us a band 1 compensation pick.
I'd send Gibbs away 10 times over before I'd think about letting Kruez go! :(

SOS could end up with a GWS type crack at this years draft.
Pick 1
Jacob Weitering SOS has been a big fan of his all year. Would be shocked if we didn't take him @1.
Super talented KPP with great leadership qualities. His the type of player we can build a back line
around.

Henderson pick 9-13
It all depends on who is still on the board.
Charlie Curnow would be my first preference but he could be the Bolter on draft day.
He is a very unique prospect 191cm forward/midfielder.
Harley Balic and Rhse Mathison are the other two midfield options who would be wroth considering and may still be available.

Yarran pick 13-16.
My first preference would be Ryan Burton. He would have been top 5 this year if not for injury.
Sam Weideman is another tall who could be an option. He would have been higher up if not for injury and even still may be a top 10 pick.
Harry Macaky would also come into consideration if still available. 200cm forward/Ruck with massive upside
If we didn't take a tall with this pick then Callum AhCee would be a good option as small forward.
Josh Dunkley if he doesn't nominate FS most likely will still be available.

Second rounder pick 20-22
Kerain Collins is the 2nd best defender in the draft would be a good option if still available.
IMO the best talls would all be gone by this stage.
Ryan Clarke is a classy mid who would definitely be an option if available.
Tom Cole is a versatile mid who can play forward and back will most likely still be available
Wayne Milera is one of the best half forwards available this year.

Last edited:
Pick 1 = Weitering
Pick 2 = Schache
Pick 10 = Curnow
Pick 13 = Weiderman
Pick 20 = Burton

If we can get 2 picks inside top 15 for Pick 2 (probably extra), I would take Balic and Mathieson. If one is gone, Curnow goes earlier and get Harry McKay later. This year is all about the KPPs and I would not be after many mids this year..Parish, Balic, Matherson and Partington I'd like though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost as much as people over rate the value of draft picks.
The problem with a draft pick is too many fail to produce a talented AFL player.
We are trusting SOS to improve our success ratio, but our record outside of the #1's is awful over the last decade.
If we are giving up a player like Hendo, it is very unlikely that the first round draft pick will provide an equal replacement, and there is an even smaller chance that we will get a long term upgrade.

That is why a quality player is worth more than one pick. A top 20 pick can work, but you can also get Bootsma, Watson, Lucas, etc.

I am onboard with the strategy (as we are very bad and have to take the risk), only hope that we come out in front over time.

The problem with a draft pick is too many fail to produce a talented AFL player.

Drafting is the only way to build a premiership team in the modern era. Topping up and trading is all well and good when you are "in the window", but with a full blown rebuild, hit the draft and hit it hard. It only takes a couple of good years to build the foundations of a good team. Freo are a great example of this. Total derp recruiting except for 2008 where in the one year they drafted:
  • Stephen Hill
  • Hayden Ballantyne
  • Nick Suban
  • Zach Clarke
  • Michael Walters
  • Matt De Boer
  • Clancee Pearce
  • Greg Broughton (now at Gold Coast)
The next year they snagged Fyfe and Barlow. Apart from that though, their drafting has been very bad. So it just takes a good draft or three to turn things around. Bulldogs are a classic example. They have just drafted magnificently and they are way in front of where everybody expected they would be.

Charlie Curnow would be my first preference but he could be the Bolter on draft day.
My first preference would be Ryan Burton. He would have been top 5 this year if not for injury.
Sam Weideman is another tall who could be an option. He would have been higher up if not for injury and even still may be a top 10 pick.

Be honest, what the hell do you know about Curnow, Weideman and Burton? Have you watched one minute of them playing and if so, how did you get some vision? I would love to be able to make some judgement on these kids.

Be honest, what the hell do you know about Curnow, Weideman and Burton? Have you watched one minute of them playing and if so, how did you get some vision? I would love to be able to make some judgement on these kids.

Curnow I saw play live last year for the Falcons very impressive even last year.
There was some vision of him last week IIRC on future stars his come back from injury game. He played mostly up forward kicked 4 took some nice grabs and looks even more impressive.

Burton played a few games at last years champs. Remember watching his set shot and thinking Wow the way he just drilled them from any angle was something else.
His hands on the lead were very good too. If not for injury he would be fighting it out with Schache for the best key forward in the draft.
Last year the only knock on him was his height, 191cm@ 17yo. IMO isn't going to matter.
He did suffer a horrific broken leg, so did Jake Stringer and he goes ok.

Weideman is the one I don't know a great deal about. There are some that rate him very highly.

Last edited:
Thoughts on targeting both McKay twins? I like brothers in the same team, adds that actual bit of family to the club and would confuse the opposition front on. :p Fills both KPF and FPD too...

Pick 1 = Weitering
Pick 2 = Schache
Pick 10 = Curnow
Pick 13 = Weiderman
Pick 20 = Burton

If we can get 2 picks inside top 15 for Pick 2 (probably extra), I would take Balic and Mathieson. If one is gone, Curnow goes earlier and get Harry McKay later. This year is all about the KPPs and I would not be after many mids this year..Parish, Balic, Matherson and Partington I'd like though.

Silvagni thoughts in relation to this years draft?

Thoughts on targeting both McKay twins? I like brothers in the same team, adds that actual bit of family to the club and would confuse the opposition front on. :p Fills both KPF and FPD too...

Forward pocket defender? :D

Silvagni thoughts in relation to this years draft?
Silvagni over Rice, we have too many HBFs as it is. JOS where ever he lands (my guess 4th round). Would take Rice #25+ but I really like Kerbatieh around that pick for a small forward...kicked a couple bags of 5 playing for Cannons in the midfield (22goals, 14 games). Has that goal sense we desperately need.

Haha, I just got your meaning...:drunk: Bring JOS in too!!

In 3 years our only current best 22 KPPs will be Casboult and Jaksch. Of those picks in my post, I would be hoping one of them show they promise in defense. Talls hold their value better, so when JOS is ready to go, trade one and fill the next hole..

JOS looked a natural down back in the championships, if we target a strong forward line and have him as our 3rd tall in def and let him loose into our forward line when needed...is an accurate kick, natural defender, use him like his old man I say.

2018-19

JOS Jaksch Giles
Doc Weitering Sheehan The
Menzel Gibbs Byrne Irish
C.Curnow Casboult Tuohy Wing
Everitt Schache Kerbatieh
Cripps Cripps Graham

Boek Holman Murph Burton

Weiderman Bucks Clem Whiley

Silvagni over Rice, we have too many HBFs as it is. JOS where ever he lands (my guess 4th round). Would take Rice #25+ but I really like Kerbatieh around that pick for a small forward...kicked a couple bags of 5 playing for Cannons in the midfield (22goals, 14 games). Has that goal sense we desperately need.

Haha, I just got your meaning...:drunk: Bring JOS in too!!

In 3 years our only current best 22 KPPs will be Casboult and Jaksch. Of those picks in my post, I would be hoping one of them show they promise in defense. Talls hold their value better, so when JOS is ready to go, trade one and fill the next hole..

JOS looked a natural down back in the championships, if we target a strong forward line and have him as our 3rd tall in def and let him loose into our forward line when needed...is an accurate kick, natural defender, use him like his old man I say.

2018-19

JOS Jaksch Giles
Doc Weitering Sheehan The
Menzel Gibbs Byrne Irish
C.Curnow Casboult Tuohy Wing
Everitt Schache Kerbatieh
Cripps Cripps Graham

Boek Holman Murph Burton

Weiderman Bucks Clem Whiley

kerbatieh kicks 5.3 in an excellent performance against top of the ladder tac cup team nth ballarat today which came with 25 possies & 6 .tackles. surely a certain pick up for any club.was classy and
xfactor personfied..three opponents..just oozzes talent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back