List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really comfortable comparing him to anyone, Stringer. Maybe early Pav at a stretch, did you see his early games at the champs?
He does things that Parish will never do. Would be very comfortable if we took him at 3

Not sure about an international projects (Irish exception here) as they take a while to learn the trade and although they may be athletic, they don't have the natural footy brain. A home grown project is more what I was hoping for. Put it this way, would you rather go into the finals with Mike Pyke of Todd Goldstein?

yer would be nice if we could pluck an A grade ruckman from the Rookie List as there's bee some beauties. Cox, Goldy, Sauce Jacobs

wait......

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-03/browns-second-chance-at-state-draft-combine
FORMER Geelong defender Mitch Brown and 26-year-old West Australian Shane Yarran are among the handful of mature-age prospects invited to state draft combines around the country.

Brown, who impressed for Essendon as a top-up player during the NAB Challenge, has won an invitation to the Victorian state testing day, which will be held at Etihad Stadium in October.
AFL.com.au recently reported the Bombers, St Kilda and Fremantle had shown interest in the Sandringham Zebras defender after his form continued in the VFL.

Yarran has been in brilliant form for Subiaco in the WAFL, kicking 42 goals from 14 games, but has previously been overlooked in the draft after serving a prison sentence.

WallBracingPx_041.jpg

Here's my ideal off season if we choose to trade Yarran over Hendo.

Note: just my opinion and not taking into account trading future picks.

Yarran + 39 for Port's 1st & 3rd rnd picks (10~, 49~)
Pick 20 for Aish
Carlisle PSD

Draft:
2 - Weitering
10~ -
49 - Rice
57 - SOS

Delist/Retire:
Judd, Carrazzo, Ellard, Watson, Warnock, Gowers, Russell

Best 22 2016:

Tuohy, Jamison, Weitering
Docherty, Carlisle, Simpson
Aish, Gibbs, Thomas
Walker, Henderson, Boekhorst
Everitt, Casboult, Menzel
Kreuzer, Murphy, Cripps
Graham, Holman, Buckley, Bell

Fields, White, Sheehan
Giles, Rowe, Rice
Byrne, Whiley, Rainbow
Smith, Jones, Armfield
Foster, Jaksch, Johnson
Wood, Walsh, Curnow
Tutt, Dick, Silvagni, pick 10~, Korcheck

I know they're probably very different players, but the description of Weitering has me spooked.

He's a big CHB whose strengths are intercept marking and a booming kick. A bit slow, but that should be ok because he runs to the right areas, reads the play well, and judges the ball in flight better than a lot of other guys.

On description alone, we already drafted this guy back in 2010.

I know they're probably very different players, but the description of Weitering has me spooked.

He's a big CHB whose strengths are intercept marking and a booming kick. A bit slow, but that should be ok because he runs to the right areas, reads the play well, and judges the ball in flight better than a lot of other guys.

No. This guy is special. Don't bother reading into comparisons (if you must though, I personally see him as a blend of Rance/H.Taylor/Lake (when he was younger) - if you watch him play you will know why.

I contradict myself a little here lol, but he has me a little excited. He is a better player than Schache, just KPF have more value than a KPD.

Still have to get a "kid", embrace the draft. The "yank" is a good move, but still mature aged.
Does not impact on available list spots, other than half his salary off the cap.
Korcheck and a kid can develop together learning the finer points of the game with a partner.

Holmes, Cox, Lucey and co. have all shown a bit at lower level, but to date Pyke and previously Stynes
are the only "success stories" from non traditional background.

4-5 young rucks in the draft who may be worth a spot, as well as some ruck sized KPP who may develop differently.
Surely a late pick or at least a rookie spot can be found for one.
Blitz from Geelong isn't doing too bad either :thumbsu:

Still have to get a "kid", embrace the draft. The "yank" is a good move, but still mature aged.
Does not impact on available list spots, other than half his salary off the cap.
Korcheck and a kid can develop together learning the finer points of the game with a partner.

Holmes, Cox, Lucey and co. have all shown a bit at lower level, but to date Pyke and previously Stynes
are the only "success stories" from non traditional background.

4-5 young rucks in the draft who may be worth a spot, as well as some ruck sized KPP who may develop differently.
Surely a late pick or at least a rookie spot can be found for one.
Setanta, Tuohy, Sheehan and Byrne will all end up playing serious senior side time for the Blues. We probably have the best history of developing non AFL background players. We'll also have the second rookie pick at this rate, we could get a nice Garlett type pick.

It hasn't been raised enough (or at all) here that I've read recently, but since the departure of Eddie, Jeff and the move of Yaz to the back half, we haven't had a true mercurial small forward. I would love to see the club pickup a highly rated small with A+ goal sense, speed, pressure and commitment to succeed. These types almost always slip to late in the draft or rookie draft, and we've got a decent record of these guys.

Don't know anything about this draft class or the best rated small forwards, but I'd like to see us pick one up. Could find the next Eddie or Luke Breust...

Ellard will be gone this year and I'm not sure Clem Smith will be successfully turned into one; and I don't know that we have one on our list at all at the moment.

Just thought I'd throw that out there amongst all of the KPF/KPD/Midfielder love...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It hasn't been raised enough (or at all) here that I've read recently, but since the departure of Eddie, Jeff and the move of Yaz to the back half, we haven't had a true mercurial small forward. I would love to see the club pickup a highly rated small with A+ goal sense, speed, pressure and commitment to succeed. These types almost always slip to late in the draft or rookie draft, and we've got a decent record of these guys.

Don't know anything about this draft class or the best rated small forwards, but I'd like to see us pick one up. Could find the next Eddie or Luke Breust...

Ellard will be gone this year and I'm not sure Clem Smith will be successfully turned into one; and I don't know that we have one on our list at all at the moment.

Just thought I'd throw that out there amongst all of the KPF/KPD/Midfielder love...

Reckon we might try Warnock in the role next season :drunk:

No disrespect to Watson, but they are nothing alike. Both elite kicks, but Wietering's decision making and footy IQ is a lot better so his disposal is used to greater effect.

Yes, he isn't lighting, but he isn't slow either. Certainly isn't as cumbersome as Watson. He towelled him up in the VFL as a (young) 17 year old (smashed Daw too).

He's just about as flawless as you can get from a junior, add to that he's almost bottom age. I'll be gutted if we end up with pick 3, he's that good.

According to The Sheik's scale, does SOSOS count as a small forward? :)

Ainsworth looks like a good sort for next years draft, should go somewhere in the first round possibly top 10. Think he kicked 5 against WA in the champs iirc

Perhaps someone like Fasolo

:cry: "Why?" Why in blazes did we ever trade Sauce and keep Warnock? Our 'Tambling' moment I think
I will repeat this again. We did not choose to trade Jacobs, he sought a trade to Adelaide. Jacobs played in an EF for us immediately prior to asking for a trade. He was a required player however he saw a better prospect of playing as 1st ruck at Adelaide than at Carlton, who also had Kreuzer competing for the same ruck spot.

I will repeat this again. We did not choose to trade Jacobs, he sought a trade to Adelaide. Jacobs played in an EF for us immediately prior to asking for a trade. He was a required player however he saw a better prospect of playing as 1st ruck at Adelaide than at Carlton, who also had Kreuzer competing for the same ruck spot.

Nek minnut - Warnock gets picked up by Hawthorn, plays in a premiership-winning team for the next 2 years. Carlton supporters are seen lobbing Molotov cocktails at Ikon Park over the club's ridiculous decision to delist him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back